Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: ENCUMBERANCE!!!!!!! (Aka why are these things so goddamn heavy?)  (Read 8105 times)

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ENCUMBERANCE!!!!!!! (Aka why are these things so goddamn heavy?)
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 01:06:05 am »

Where is a good place to find a duck or something to power level?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 01:10:48 am »

The wild.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 05:00:42 am »

Ask some townsfolk about the surroundings. They occasionally mention some animals you might find roaming around in particular locales.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 10:26:30 am »

1. Go to the beach.

2. Find a crab of some sort, horseshoe or normal.

3. Pick it up and hold it, and one-step (.) for a day.

4. ????

5. Profit!

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 11:25:34 am »

Just a short question; why is my adventurer's speed so low, just from carrying items? It used to be 1400 or so, now it's 876, and the only real difference is that I've kitted myself out in iron/bronze gear. Has there been some changes that implemented this, and what do I need to do to get speed somewhere back up in the 1200s or so?

I've never seen speed go above 1290, naked or armored.  This, even when my agility and strength are both 4000, which is 150% of what is possible without modding.  I think there's a hardcoded limit for speed.

But yeah, just train up your skills and even a lowly mortal can hit the limit fairly quickly.

Also, if you become a vampire, your speed gets capped at something near 1200.  Maybe you are encountering this?  The speed cap is to make vampires in fortress mode "blend in" with regular dwarves.  It seems like this applying in adventure mode is a bug, but I'm not sure. 

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 05:53:08 am »

1. Go to the beach.

2. Find a crab of some sort, horseshoe or normal.

3. Pick it up and hold it, and one-step (.) for a day.

4. ????

5. Profit!

Make sure you're wearing clothes though. I did this with an outsider, evidently crabs can sever nerves  :-\
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 08:45:52 am »

Just a short question; why is my adventurer's speed so low, just from carrying items? It used to be 1400 or so, now it's 876, and the only real difference is that I've kitted myself out in iron/bronze gear. Has there been some changes that implemented this, and what do I need to do to get speed somewhere back up in the 1200s or so?

I've never seen speed go above 1290, naked or armored.  This, even when my agility and strength are both 4000, which is 150% of what is possible without modding.  I think there's a hardcoded limit for speed.

But yeah, just train up your skills and even a lowly mortal can hit the limit fairly quickly.

Also, if you become a vampire, your speed gets capped at something near 1200.  Maybe you are encountering this?  The speed cap is to make vampires in fortress mode "blend in" with regular dwarves.  It seems like this applying in adventure mode is a bug, but I'm not sure.

I don't believe this is accurate: my vampire adventurer is running around at 1390, and he most definently is a vampire.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 05:15:44 pm »

Yeah just use wrestle to grab a relatively harmless creature by the upper body, it will fight you all day.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 05:17:31 pm »

Done. I love you, turkey hen that I horribly disfigured as payment for helping me!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 06:34:51 pm »

Done. I love you, turkey hen that I horribly disfigured as payment for helping me!

For bonus points grab 4 or 5 creatures with wrestle grabs. I know you get 4 wrestles for your upper and lower arms, but if you're holding swords and shields those can be used as grabs too, for some reason, I think its a featurebug.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 10:00:16 pm »

encumbrance wasn't much of a major issue until toady changed the weight of items recently for the hauling update. starting adventurers can't carry logs, or boulders now due to this.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 01:23:08 am »

If only there were pack animals to use or you could dump your food supplies on companions to carry.... would be so much less of a problem.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 07:16:01 pm »

I was trying to organize my gear so step one of a fight would be "Drop my pack". The goal being to reduce my encumbrance and thus increase my speed.  Never got to try it, as my adventurer didn't fare to well when I stopped sneaking to help a companion kill a kobold, which allowed the other kobold to plant an arrow in my pancreas.  It went downhill from there.

Remember, sneaking slows you down but that reduction gets smaller as your Ambusher skill goes up, just like with armor and Armor User.

Oh, and I thought the speed for vampires was capped at whatever it was when the creature was turned, so a fast person stayed fast after becoming a vampire, but a slow person stayed slow as well.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 07:24:23 pm »

I was trying to organize my gear so step one of a fight would be "Drop my pack". The goal being to reduce my encumbrance and thus increase my speed.  Never got to try it, as my adventurer didn't fare to well when I stopped sneaking to help a companion kill a kobold, which allowed the other kobold to plant an arrow in my pancreas.  It went downhill from there.

Remember, sneaking slows you down but that reduction gets smaller as your Ambusher skill goes up, just like with armor and Armor User.

Oh, and I thought the speed for vampires was capped at whatever it was when the creature was turned, so a fast person stayed fast after becoming a vampire, but a slow person stayed slow as well.

Your attributes no longer gain or rust after becoming a vampire. So whatever agility and strength you have before becoming one, you have it afterwards forever.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2012, 07:48:23 pm »

I don't bother much with armor anymore -- I just get a sword, shield, helmet, and a pair of gauntlets + boots. It works pretty well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3