Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Supreme Ruler 2020 - Interest check for let's play  (Read 3245 times)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Supreme Ruler 2020 - Interest check for let's play
« on: July 02, 2012, 03:49:36 pm »

Well, I've taken to playing Supreme Ruler 2020 again, a interesting, somewhat complex, buggy, world warfare simulator. Since my expectations are that next semester I will have loads more of free time, I've been toying with the idea of trying to do a LP of the game.

If I manage to get to it, what would you like to see on it? What country or kind of country would you prefer seeing played as? What format would the LP be the best as? How interactive would it be good? How big should be the average in game turn? Any other suggestions? To those who know about the game in more detail consider if it would be good to use Ruges mod. I'm tending to no, since while it does add quite a bit from what I've seen it also slows the game quite a bit, and it might not be ideal for a LP.

So, opinions?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Supreme Ruler 2020 - Interest check for let's play
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 03:57:07 pm »

Definitely interested in a LP of this game.

I would recommend against anything that will slow this game down, as it runs horribly slow to begin with.

Still, I'd suggest testing out whatever mods you wish.  Mods are fun.

Llamainaspitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 05:02:24 pm »

El Salvador!

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 06:10:12 pm »

Do consider that some countries fare better than others. El Salvador would be... well, pretty static, specially in the beginning (unless we are attacked and destroyed by a bigger neighbor... :P). Also note that I'm kinda bad at the game, so I can't snap victory from the jaws of defeat.
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 06:24:53 pm »

Because the AI is horrible at resource management in all Supreme Ruler games, it is easy to dominate the world's supply of industrial and military goods, then proceed to just outbuild every other country, in the long run.

Early on, build industrial goods factories and buy all industrial goods you can.  Then you win.   :P

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 06:28:35 pm »

In that case I would suggest we choose a Fun nation to work with. Paraguay please!

Posting for interest.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 06:36:29 pm »

I'd suggest Brazil.  It's the biggest South American Country as far as I know.

Because of the way the game handles infamy, you'll either be at war as soon as you start, or need to wait forever.  Sure, you CAN declare war on whomever you like, but without Causi Belli, you'll just get dogpiled by everybody else.  Most countries start out with a handful of neighboring countries with some Causi Belli, but it goes down if you decide to be peaceful.

Oh, and activate "Allied Victory".  Then proceed to make as many alliances as you can!  The more you interact with other countries, the easier it gets!

wsoxfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 06:41:14 pm »

Take over the world as mighty... Andorra! Or Luxembourg. I'd recommend Ruges Mod if you choose a larger country(one that can build up quicker). It's great if you have a multi front war, because you can micromanage both w/o pausing. I'd probably do three month segments if normal, one month if Ruges mod(because it's slower)

Or alternatly, if you want war right off of the bat, I'd choose Israel. It's has CB with almost all of it's neighbors.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 06:57:09 pm »

Deutschland über alles! Play as Germany!

I can't get past a year without getting bored with this game though. The Cold War one is at least a bit faster paced and with [somewhat] better ai. But hell, maybe if you play as some shitty central American country like El Salvador, the boredom of stagnation will just cancel out the brain-meltingly slow pace of actual gameplay.

If not Germany, I'd go with Israel.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Hyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 07:52:07 pm »

I'd suggest North Korea. You can start by unifying the peninsula, invade Japan, use your super-high tech satellites and conquer the world!

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 08:22:08 pm »

On Ruges Mod: Using or not the whole mod, I'll likely be using the AI params from it.

Also, I'll be modding the Missile Fabrications to have more constructions slots, so we can actually use them in battle without having to either build hundreds of factories nor save it for special occasions. Considering 5, 10 and 20 slots.

Brazil: Pros: It's pretty interesting, and I there is a certain nationalistic appeal for me. Cons: A bit on the easy side. If you have a military powerful enough to keep the rest of south America behaving well (pretty easily. Argentina is likely to declare war fast, but it can be crushed pretty easily) you can build up very easily. There's no real pressure to expand your borders, since you don't lack for any natural resource and have a huge population. Of course, if the game is interactive and you guys form a parliament, it might create a new pressure to expand.

Paraguay, Andorra, Luxembourg and other titans: Either we get a lot of time of nothing happening or we get Invaded and crushed to death by some big country, and I'm not skilled enough to try to win in such mismatched situation. :P

Germany: Isn't bad, although it would make some fourth reich jokes nearly inevitable. On the down side, we'd either have to initiate nearly all significant wars (Belarus deciding to commit suicide by declaring war against half of Europe doesn't count) unless we chose the more conflictual maps and/or throw hot relations up. Still, sounds a pretty good option, it's balanced option, as it does not terribly overpower its neighbors but it's still a match for them.

North Korea: Sounds pretty fun, lots of wars. Its natural enemies are stronger than it, but not so much that it'd make victory impossible. That said, I'm not sure if I can pull it off. At the very least, I'd need advice on tactics.

And on another note, what's the opinions on starting the game without any pre built units? It does make the early moments much faster (less processing to go), but it can throw balance off in some countries (in my current game to get some skills back, shattered world, playing as california, it barely passed a year, and Mexico annexed Texas, in something of a light infantry rush. :P As California I'm managing to deal pretty decently against it, using a bit more of an elite unit strategy, using Israeli Namerras Mk II supported by Merkavas Mk IV, MRLS and close air support, and should be able to finish them after a few more months, as the factories pump out more units). Anyway, so I'd like some opinions on it.

garfield751

• Bay Watcher
  • Aaauuugggghhhh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 08:30:34 pm »

what about playing as Rwanda? could be pretty amusing.

wsoxfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 08:37:10 pm »

Actually, for a challenge, do the shattered world scenario as Illinois or Florida. They both have potential, and though they die fast as the AI, its relatively easy to salvage it as a human. If you want to do a regular scenario then I'd suggest Israel though.

Llamainaspitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 09:26:29 pm »

Do Shattered world Mode as Minnesota.

AND TAKE OVER THE WOOOOORLD

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 09:31:38 pm »

YES

YES THERE IS INTEREST

Melting Point scenario, play as Monaco, achieve World Conquest.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: [1] 2