Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gold Rush Fortress >.< Help?  (Read 3158 times)

Nsidious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gold Rush Fortress >.< Help?
« on: July 02, 2012, 12:42:56 pm »

So, I have this fortress in a sinister biome and mucus that puts blisters on my dwarves, so far I have the environment under control, except trade. With all gold, is coins a viable option for trade? Or should I just smelt bars and trade those directly? Basically I'm asking, what would make me the most money?
Thanks in advance

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gold Rush Fortress >.< Help?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 01:00:00 pm »

Encrust stuff with gold, then sell those items.

Silver swords + Gold encrustments = Moniez.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 01:01:57 pm »

Either than or make gold mechanisms. I've never tried it, since I put my gold into making jails or giant statues generally, but regular mechanisms sell for a butt ton considering the puny amount of resources it takes to make them.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 01:06:42 pm »

Can you stud/encrust sawblades or giant spiked balls made of silver? 
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Nsidious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 01:11:46 pm »

Aha! I've never encrusted anything before, guess we'll make mechanisms and try some encrusting then.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 01:14:40 pm »

Just a warning goblins will ambush the hell out of you when you start raking in the cash.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 02:46:07 pm »

So, I have this fortress in a sinister biome and mucus that puts blisters on my dwarves, so far I have the environment under control, except trade. With all gold, is coins a viable option for trade? Or should I just smelt bars and trade those directly? Basically I'm asking, what would make me the most money?
Thanks in advance
As a trade good, gold coins are not that good, not having a quality modifier.

HOWEVER

Melting small stacks of coins down gets you more metal than you started with. Which means splitting stacks of coins is a very viable method of profit.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 02:48:57 pm »

Thanks in advance
As a trade good, gold coins are not that good, not having a quality modifier.

HOWEVER

Melting small stacks of coins down gets you more metal than you started with. Which means splitting stacks of coins is a very viable method of profit.

Yes, but how do you split? Do you use the new trading feature? Wait, this could be a new candy factory method for splitting bolts. Just trade them one by one.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 03:09:01 pm »

There was a thread somewhere about this...
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 03:24:58 pm »

Yes, but how do you split? Do you use the new trading feature? Wait, this could be a new candy factory method for splitting bolts. Just trade them one by one.

What new trading feature? Anyways, you just do as you did before with bolts, except coins are cheaper.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 03:29:57 pm »

What new trading feature? Anyways, you just do as you did before with bolts, except coins are cheaper.
The current version of DF allows you to choose how many items of a stack you want to trade. It used to be that you had to make a complicated logic machine to split up the stack, but I guess you don't need that anymore. OF course, some of us want to make complicated logic machines anyway.
Anyways, you just do as you did before with bolts
That doesn't work, because the method of splitting bolts requires you to have marksdwarves firing them.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 03:32:45 pm »

That doesn't work, because the method of splitting bolts requires you to have marksdwarves firing them.
No, I meant with trading. Pretty certain this has been out for as long as .34 has been released.

Nsidious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 08:01:32 pm »

Thank you :D The remelting coin things seem a bit cheaty, unless there's a reason in the game that it does give you more metal? Also, dug out ALL the way down to magma, and there is HONESTLY only gold on this map, it's hilarious, so I'm gonna stoke up some  MAGMA FORGES! :D Uhm, that is, after I sort out the magma spewing everywhere problem x) I've never done the magma forge thing before. haha

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 09:32:38 pm »

ONLY Gold?

Well you know what you must do then. Make sure you got the right moods and make a full set of artifact gold armor. Do it. Do eeeet.

Nsidious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 09:52:15 pm »

Honestly, only gold. And it's too bad, my fortress died.
And the reclaim died, cuz they were a bunch of lazy bastards.
Pages: [1] 2