Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: ADOM: Ressurection - Crowdfunding  (Read 28960 times)

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
Re: ADOM: Ressurection - Crowdfunding
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2012, 09:46:01 pm »

Toady does ask for money he lives off the donations with no job.
Furthermore ADOM is a great game and worth a donation for the amount of hours I sunk into it I donated to df with the same logic and df is so far an inferior game to ADOM.
I'm hoping df will be able to compete with it in my books someday.

Do you not play fortress mode?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

tootboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2012, 10:39:48 pm »

Toady does ask for money he lives off the donations with no job.
Furthermore ADOM is a great game and worth a donation for the amount of hours I sunk into it I donated to df with the same logic and df is so far an inferior game to ADOM.
I'm hoping df will be able to compete with it in my books someday.

That's pretty rude, considering where you're posting.

Donations to Bay 12 are very much a mutual arrangement.  Both the community and Toady prefer he work on the game full time and the donations facilitate this.  It's not like he couldn't find other work with his PhD if he wanted to.  Though even if he didn't, it wouldn't change anything.

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2012, 11:24:29 pm »

That is my point he could get a job and he would if he didn't get donations.
also fortress mode isn't a roguelike so you cant really compare it to ADOM.

tootboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2012, 11:58:43 pm »

Do you at least see there's a big difference between how Toady is asking for money and how TB is asking for money?

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2012, 12:18:19 am »

Yes, but my logic for giving is the same, if you like the game then give something for it if not then don't.

tootboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2012, 01:06:27 am »

Yes, but my logic for giving is the same, if you like the game then give something for it if not then don't.

Fair enough.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2012, 01:34:46 am »

also fortress mode isn't a roguelike so you cant really compare it to ADOM.

OK, let's compare apples with aplles

The guy that made TOME 4 deserves some money much, much more.  Because he has:
a) Modern game that get improved daily
b) it's open source and
c) He does care about his community.

While Adom's guy has
a) Obsolete roguelike with crappy interface and grindy gameplay
b) Thinks that his source code worth $1 000 000 (LOL, just lol. I think you can buy source code of vast majority commercial games for that ) If he had pledge = give me $50 000 and i'll make it open source, I'd agree... Or maybe $100 000... And he asks for my two year salary... for what? Minor patch?
c) He thinks that his fans are idiots and want to take his code with only one purpose: make his genius game worse.  Someone should say him, that ADOM was one of the best in 2002, but now there are many better options.

I am sad to see, that he'll get money that could be donated for far better games on kickstarter (BTW I suspect that he didn't choose kickstarter, because was afraid of competition from other games.) And I will laugh if he fails to make what he promises or will make it 5 years
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2012, 03:28:10 am »

I am sad to see, that he'll get money that could be donated for far better games on kickstarter (BTW I suspect that he didn't choose kickstarter, because was afraid of competition from other games.) And I will laugh if he fails to make what he promises or will make it 5 years
Kickstarter is America-only. You cannot make a Kickstarter campaign without a US bank account.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2012, 05:33:53 am »

This could actually sound reasonable 10 years ago. Now there are many better roguelikes, which hasn't been abandoned by their creators and left to stagnate. Many of them are open source and have some semblance of balance. As in "no instant deaths which I can't possibly expect, meaning that I can play it without reading Wiki".

It's his game and his choice, but I don't really have to feel any sympathy for him.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2012, 07:18:59 am »

Well, the minimum funding target was reached so all is GO!---as it stretches however far it gets these next couple days.

So, donated or not, there will come to be a far better version of ADOM to play on a variety of platforms going forward.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2012, 09:07:23 am »

Well folks, done at just a tad over $90,000----setting various funding records for games and Roguelikes in general on IGG and whatnot.

Gonna be quite a heap of release updates these next several months for all to enjoy while the backers get first crack at testing and such---and should send a strong message to all the other old school Roguelikes out there that it is not impossible to live again and continue to have value going forward with a good plan and a bit of luck.

boatie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2012, 06:53:09 am »

It's really weird to call DF a vastly inferior game to ADOM, especially on DF's forums. Taste is subjective, but objectively I'll chose a currently developed game for free than a paid bug fix to a finished game that would have been fixed free at any time, any day.

Tegga21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2013, 11:19:09 am »

Necroing this thread.  Did you ever get your refund or pre-release?  I'd very much like to see a lets play of the graphical/stream version of adom before I decide to sink the 40$ he's requesting and has stated WONT include the final / commercial version.

I'd be willing to pay for your time to watch a lets play :) add me on steam Tegga21 or drop me an email

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2013, 07:48:24 pm »

It's been a while i didn't checked where ADOM was after that crowdfunding.
http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2013/05/adom-120-prerelease-14-now-available.html#more

wow, all i can say from seeing the screenshots is that the artist building the graphics of the tile version is really good at it.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2013, 06:54:33 am »

Necroing this thread.  Did you ever get your refund or pre-release?  I'd very much like to see a lets play of the graphical/stream version of adom before I decide to sink the 40$ he's requesting and has stated WONT include the final / commercial version.

I'd be willing to pay for your time to watch a lets play :) add me on steam Tegga21 or drop me an email

The fully wrought ADOM, when it is out of the backer-only stage, will be free for all with all the graphics and sound and such in tow same as ADOM had been for all these years prior to the funding drive.  The only parts to the commercial edition are some extras that, while nifty, don't leave the game utterly borked or some such.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9