Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: ADOM: Ressurection - Crowdfunding  (Read 28978 times)

Fortress Calling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ADOM: Ressurection - Crowdfunding
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2012, 03:28:24 am »

Many years ago i checked to see how JADE was doing, saw it was still early in development, so i thought now in 2012 it would be finished. And then i see this, he paused development on ADOM 2 to work on ... this? Some sort of bug fix remake? Why oh why is he doing that, ADOM is just fine it's bugs were minor i played the game a lot and don't remember any game shattering bugs.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2012, 07:30:42 am »

Many years ago i checked to see how JADE was doing, saw it was still early in development, so i thought now in 2012 it would be finished. And then i see this, he paused development on ADOM 2 to work on ... this? Some sort of bug fix remake? Why oh why is he doing that, ADOM is just fine it's bugs were minor i played the game a lot and don't remember any game shattering bugs.

It isn't so much a remake as an overhaul and picking up where things left off.

He didn't work at all continuously on JADE since back then.....life/work/marriage/doctorate/etc intervened heavily and much was planning in his head or hacked out into a not-workable form IIRC, hence the situation where it has gone from ADOM being done in hastily hacked together C to ADOM II now being based rather entirely on Java 7.  There isn't much history-keeping in the RL scene as there should be, so it is common that many folks operate under a skewed sense of how things have went down based on a background of 2nd hand and beyond accounts chattered about or just folks that've been in this scene for so many years that the memories cloud a bit.

ADOM II development isn't paused, the campaign for ADOM launched after he'd finished up the 0.2.x leg of the official roadmap and the initial release of 0.3.x, while a bit delayed due to the simultaneous work of managing this funding drive and this interim ADOM release, is slated to come out in the near future(should be a matters of days/weeks as this junction, not months) with a good assortment of improvements and feature gains as was pretty much planned in the project roadmap spot it occupies.

This partial release here fixes quite a lot of things, with some being game changers in terms of quality of life(all artifacts now generating proper, certain skills actually functional for the first time, and so on), and most others having the game crash less often and certain exploits not working any further so as to reduce the cheesed aspects.  Just take a look through the changelog page linked just a post or so ago and you'll probably find some stuff that you can reckon as nice to have going forward to make it a better experience.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2012, 02:19:02 pm »

Final power pledge drive centered on new Artifacts is a go, that and it is looking likely that Graphical Tile support, with a sample from their Art guy, will become a thing...though there's an ongoing discussion about it at the ADOM blog.  They'll have to be nice 64x64 ones, hashing things out a bit here:

http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2012/08/some-clarifications-about-tiles-in-adom.html
http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2012/08/how-do-you-feel-about-slight.html

http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2012/08/the-last-and-final-power-pledge-drive.html

I've just started the last power pledge drive that will happen during the ADOM crowd funding campaign: Artifacts! For every $500 donated starting at the current level of $31.468 a new artifact will be added to the game. For every day in which which manage to collect a full $1.000 amount, 2 new items will be added to the game! (Multiples count, yes) This power pledge drive is going to be the longest running as it will be up for a full 14 days and end on the 24th of August. This really is going to be the last power pledge drive for ADOM - there is nothing else to save for, so if you haven't pledged yet, now is the perfect time!

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2012, 03:16:34 pm »

I'm not donating. It's not that I don't like Ancient Domains of Mystery, because I do. I just don't have the money to donate to this sort of a thing, especially when it hasn't been in development for about as long as I've known of it. I'm sorry, but I'd rather donate to something a little more worthwhile than the re-development of a piece of abandonware.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2012, 07:26:46 am »

Well, it really rounds out to a more final stretch now as the official stretch goals have been reckoned:

http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2012/08/announcing-adom-stretch-goals.html

-If we pass the funding goal by a mere $2.000 (at $50.000) you will receive a native NotEye integration allowing Zenos NotEye to work much better magic for a truly remarkable experience with tile graphics.
    -If we pass the funding goal by another $5.000 (at $55.000) Krys will work his artistic magic to create the most beautiful tile set ever devised for a roguelike game. This will take up more than half a year of his life working full time on the tile set (!!!) but IMHO the video below shows that it would be worth that effort.
    -If we pass $60.000 new races (Mist Elves and Ratlings) and new classes (Duelists and Chaos Knights) will be added.
    -For every $3.000 beyond that new quests, levels, monsters and other stuff will be added, the more the higher we get.

Nearly $15K to go and 17 days left----time'll tell soon enough.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2012, 05:25:08 pm »

Nevermind, now the REAL stretch goals have been finally reckoned more or less versus the general plan from before: 

http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2012/08/adom-crowd-funding-stretch-goals.html

At $48,000 we just will have reached the minimum funding goal. If we don't get there all is lost, all the money is returned to the donors and the future for ADOM Classic looks pretty bleak. So please keep the excitement up and tell more people about the last 10 days of the campaign (and don't wait too long - the occasional technical problem we had so far doesn't give me a good feeling about the final days ;-) ).

At $50,000 Jochen, Zeno and I will be doing a basic NotEye integration in ADOM. This will be sufficient to allow the community to define their custom tile sets but we won't be able to provide one by ourselves.

At $55,000 I will be able to pay Krys (our artist) for six months or more (adding part of the basic art budget from the basic funding goal) in order to produce a totally awesome and beautiful tile set to make ADOM Classic the most beautiful roguelike game ever created.  If we make the $55,000 I'll also add the ultimate nihilist ending ;-)

At $60,000 we will add ratlings and mist elves as new races as well as duelists and chaos knights as new classes. This stretch goal will cash in on ancient promises I gave lo so many years ago.

At $65,000 we will create a Steam version of ADOM - the ADOM Deluxe promised so long ago (EDIT: And we'd try to do our best to also support other platforms like Gamersgate and Desudura). Every donor of $50 or above (and all who pledged for the ADOM Lite RPG) will receive a free license for ADOM Deluxe. ADOM Deluxe will add a more detailed character generation process, restorable save files, challenge games and some other neat details for paying customers. Why paying customers you might ask? Because it's all about a sustainable lifecycle model for ADOM. As has become clear from the campaign we'll be able to fund some ADOM development - but we still are looking for a sustainable model. I believe that with the addition of tiles and audio tracks ADOM has all the potetial to become a tiny mainstream success - and that's why I have defined this stretch goal despite other voices from my call for votes to the right of this blog. Because I believe that this might be the one chance to earn some continuous income from a much larger audience which in turn would allow the continuous financing of the free version of ADOM as well as the commercial Deluxe version. So it's a gamble but it seems to be a good one to me.

At $70,000 we will be adding achievement systems and global highscores - again extending the ideas behind the $65,000 level.

At $75,000 we finally get to the vote results to the right. A special and long volcanoe quest will be added to the game. Just a boring variation of the tower of flames you might think? By far not, be assured!

At $80,000 a new extensive quest regarding Rolf (you know him?) will be added. It will offer quite a number of new levels, challenges, monsters and items and will answer some of the unanswered mysteries of ADOM.

At $85,000 we will add two more new quests.

At $90,000 we will add three more new quests.

At $95,000 we will add four more new quests (for a total of 11 new quests by now).

At $100,000 we will produce the ADOM Lite RPG in full cover and distribute the upgraded version to everyone who pledged for it for free.

Additionally the initial pledge levels at $55,000, $60,000, $65,000 and $70,000 each will upgrade the quality of the music included with the game.

So that's what I got. I hope that you like some of the ideas even if I again decided to not totally comply with majority votes. But I believe this order to be the best for the game. Now let's just hope that some rich person picks up the $50,000 level (warning: I have learned that this probably won't work directly through Indiegogo - it seems that you need to contact them and arrange some kind of bank transfer... don't ask why I learned that ;-) But you don't want to wait until the last moment if you are either a very rich or a very generous person ;-) ).

Less than 8K to go and 10 days left---probably going to come down to the wire.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2012, 08:19:55 pm »

So... they will be upgrading the quality of music huh?

So what? they will develop an entirely new sound track 4 times and make sure it is better then the last?

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2012, 10:12:22 pm »

That last donation tier is pretty ludicrous. A tier that is greater than the entire initial goal? For $50,000 you give me hard bound books with the source code and be my friend for a weekend? For that much money you better let me do whatever I want with the source code or just open source the whole thing. 

eeviac

• Bay Watcher
  • Seven
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2012, 10:54:43 pm »

Some of the stretch goals sound cool but I can't help but feel that the amount of money they want for this is just crazy.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2012, 07:35:07 am »

So... they will be upgrading the quality of music huh?

So what? they will develop an entirely new sound track 4 times and make sure it is better then the last?

I'm not 100% on this, but near as I can reckon it comes down to the mastering of it all, perhaps purchasing a higher quality DAW/Samples/VST's/Instruments/Time in a Studio/etc.

Also:  another gambit to get this completed emerges:

http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2012/08/adom-crowd-funding-lets-get-over-with-it.html

Ok, today so far has been a totally awesome day for the ADOM crowd funding campaign: We had a new record pledge level for recent weeks, there is a new audio demo by Lucas Dieguez and the stretch goals have been announced. Now I'd like to try to get over with it by passing the $48,000 goal for successful funding as soon as possible.

In order to try this we'll be now doing a kind of Dutch (reverse) auction (only kind of):

-If the ADOM crowd funding campaign is successful within the next 24 hours (until 10:04am, August 22nd, GMT+1) I will add an extra special new boss monster with a special new map, 2 new artifacts, 4 new minion monsters for said boss and 16 new items that only will be recoverable on said special level.
    -If the ADOM crowd funding campaign is successful between 10:05am, August 22nd, GMT+1 and 10:05am, August 23rd, GMT+1, one new artifact on a special new map, 2 new minion monsters and 8 new items recoverable only on that map will be added. And a note somewhere on that map saying "Away for treasure hunting. Will be back soon." (to explain the missing boss monster).
    -If the ADOM crowd funding campaign is successful between 10:05am, August 23nd, GMT+1 and 10:05am, August 24th, GMT+1, 1 new minion monster and 4 new items recoverable only on that map will be added. And a note somewhere on that map saying "Gone for artifact creation."
    -If the ADOM crowd funding campaign is successful between 10:05am, August 24th, GMT+1 and 23:59pm, August 24th, GMT+1, 1 new minion monster and 1 new item will be added as a wilderness encounter.

So if you have been waiting to donate, do it now - it will get you extra free content :-)

And remember that the power pledge drive: artifacts also still is running!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:44:08 am by getter77 »

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2012, 08:04:49 am »

hmm... strange that it's not yet funded. Is it that not that many people are interested in ADOM anymore or that it's not anything really new or that it's an indiegogo and not kickstarter?

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2012, 08:08:28 am »

Really now supporting this prick who abandoned his game ,who suddenly returns and asks for a hefty sum of 50000 $ and he's promising what ?The same game with two or three new things.Don't fall for the hype ,please.Give those money to somebody who deserves them.

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2012, 08:33:16 am »

That last donation tier is pretty ludicrous. A tier that is greater than the entire initial goal? For $50,000 you give me hard bound books with the source code and be my friend for a weekend? For that much money you better let me do whatever I want with the source code or just open source the whole thing.

Yeah,  that tier is pretty insane, even if he didn't put restrictions on the source.

Another recent Kickstarter had a whole tour of Japan for 6 percent of that price..
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2012, 09:28:50 am »

hmm... strange that it's not yet funded. Is it that not that many people are interested in ADOM anymore or that it's not anything really new or that it's an indiegogo and not kickstarter?
In the opposite, i continue to be very surprised by how close it's going to the 48000$ mark, that is a very big pile of money.
Surprised because remember this is not about founding a new game development there, it's about a patch with bug fixes + some new content for a 10 years old roguelike game.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2012, 09:39:52 am »

In the opposite, i continue to be very surprised by how close it's going to the 48000$ mark, that is a very big pile of money.
Surprised because remember this is not about founding a new game development there, it's about a patch with bug fixes + some new content for a 10 years old roguelike game.
Exactly...i am surprised at how people are giving money for that shit when there's developers like Toady who makes constant and big updates ,adds new content and doesn't ask to be paid ,and a very nice guy.
My last point is .....who the fuck are the idiots that funded that shit ?

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9