Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: ADOM: Ressurection - Crowdfunding  (Read 28964 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ADOM: Ressurection - Crowdfunding
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2012, 11:04:20 pm »

Eh, I played ADOM a bit, could never get real into it, though. It is really the only popular roguelike that I can think of that isn't open sourced. If the goal were truly just to have the bugs fixed and maybe some additional content, it could be done for free, easily, by open-sourcing it, or even just giving the source to a couple dedicated fans. Looking at how many people are willing to throw money at it, it wouldn't be that difficult to do. Nobody is looking for a super four team hired group to work on it, they just want what the game currently is to be finished.

The glacially slow progress on JADE is part of my unwillingness to throw money in Mr. Biskup's direction.

Somewhat pedantic, but isn't JADE largely complete, with what's remaining being content for ADOM II?

I haven't really been following it, but wasn't JADE announced quite a while ago? And probably worked on a bit before?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2012, 11:14:35 pm »

I just can never freeken remember what ADOM is...

Everytime I think of it I keep thinking of a completely unrelated Nethack clone with a really nice graphical engine.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2012, 11:20:04 pm »

Everytime I think of it I keep thinking of a completely unrelated Nethack clone with a really nice graphical engine.

It isn't close to Nethack, really. And I don't think it even has a graphical option as Nethack does. Hey, another bonus to having an open source: easier to make third party tools!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2012, 11:37:29 pm »

Well... Eagle/Falcon's Eye was basically an isometric graphics layer for Nethack/SLASH'EM; ToME has pretty nifty tiles and is an entirely separate project from Nethack [originally based on Angband, I believe, but has since been entirely redone]; Crawl: Stone Soup is a descendant of Crawl that also has pretty good tiles.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2012, 12:51:54 am »

The glacially slow progress on JADE is part of my unwillingness to throw money in Mr. Biskup's direction.
Somewhat pedantic, but isn't JADE largely complete, with what's remaining being content for ADOM II?

Yes, but let's look at the project history.

The successor to ADOM was named JADE, until this year.  Now, JADE is the engine, and ADOM II is the content.  And I believe the engine's ready for shakedown, and the content is getting there.  So, yes.

But it took twelve years to get from revelation of project to playable beta.

Blah blah doctorate, blah blah marriage, blah blah new family, blah blah....

Whatever.  It's completely his, he can do what he wants with it.  Not arguing that.

I am saying that past performance is a good indicator of future performance.

Twelve years.  For a second game.  By a professional software developer.

I stand by my 'glacially slow' description.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2012, 12:53:37 am »

Yes but you made a deadly mistake 517A5D... You said something negative about a game someone liked.

Around here we burn you for that

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2012, 05:11:15 pm »

I played a lot of ADoM "back in the day" and I've always fully understood TB's decision not to make it open source, especially in the light of entitled jerks who acted like they had a right to it. But this -- nah. I honestly don't see the point. IMO it would be better if he just stayed focused on the sequel instead of getting bogged down by trying to "resurrect" a decade-old game at the same time. Does ADoM really "need" an overhaul, anyway? It has some bugs, yes, but it's stable, perfectly playable, all endings work.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2012, 06:42:48 pm »

Amidst some other updates and updates to come, like getting ADOM working on Raspberry Pi, Biskup's latest bit of fun with it has it every $300 raised from a day or so back from now until the tail end of his beloved Friday the 13th this coming Friday his local time will net a new corruption into the game as part of the core doings prior to any stretch goals with no hard limit such that if he got a ludicrous surge, well, he'd have to get cracking on about a 100 new corruptions.

Also, a throwaway comment he made in an update was a new one on me that gives ADOM some perspective:  The crazy thing is something like 150,000 lines of C hacking about---no wonder he kept saying that he has an enormously easier time developing on the modern ADOM II/JADE engine framework than the same amount of time thrown into the old classic.   :o

Edit:  This also gets into it on Biskup and Jochen's appearance:  http://www.roguelikeradio.com/2012/07/special-on-adom-indiegogo-campaign.html
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 11:49:35 am by getter77 »

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2012, 09:42:33 am »

I would like to calmly and politely.
BURN ALL THE HERETICS WHO DARE DOUBT THE MIGHT OF ADOM AND ADOM 2.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2012, 10:51:44 am »

Looks like after an impressive start, the founding is slowing down a lot. I noticed that the "target" has been lowered too, 48000 instead of 50000, probably will be lowered again if the slow down confirms itself.

I wonder if that project will still make it by the end of the month, such a big sum of money demanded for what sounds like a patch.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2012, 12:41:42 pm »

Looks like after an impressive start, the founding is slowing down a lot. I noticed that the "target" has been lowered too, 48000 instead of 50000, probably will be lowered again if the slow down confirms itself.

I wonder if that project will still make it by the end of the month, such a big sum of money demanded for what sounds like a patch.

Nope, IIRC target won't be lowered again---that was just some final tinkering on how the cut IGG goes and whatnot right before launch alongside shuffling about the initial goals and stretches.

New content, fixes, UI, soundtrack, etc is a bit more than a "patch"(But even then, as usual, this IS a 4 man effort so compensation isn't exactly all that odd)---plus there's some stuff afoot like the interim release and finally ADOM II 0.3.0 and whatever other power pledge drives and all else they come up with for this next month:

http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2012/08/july-in-review.html#more

I figure there is fair odds at getting about as much this half as the first one----so long as they stay proactive about it, get more updates going perhaps in the spirit of the one that launched the campaign as the essence of this sort of initiative is about as much into the "people" as it is the "project", and so on.  Were it half done and less than halfway there...then I'd be far more reticent.

tootboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2012, 09:29:04 pm »

$50k is a lot of money to update a Roguelike with some relatively minor tweaks.

Toady gets about $50k a year in a donations now, consider what you get from him versus what you're likely to get from TB, a few bug fixes that were promised years ago (for free) and a few new monsters...

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2012, 11:22:52 am »

An original sound track, an enormous mass of bugs fixed, some UI work, plus perhaps more content of all stripes is a fair deal for 50K split between 4 guys working at it---not a sum any will get rich off of but allows for their due labor.  Toady has a different situation than TB and company---best future has each camp striding on along making their respective progress as lively diversity in the Roguelike world can only lead to a brighter tomorrow.   8)

But hey, progress beats otherwise:  A new pre-release version available to everybody that has some of the work situated, though any future such releases will be backer only.  Even has a proper build for the Raspberry Pi!

http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2012/08/adom-120-prerelease-1-now-available.html

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2012, 05:45:07 pm »

Nice to see the release.
Always good to get some bugfixes.

Though i don't like that on windows the saved games are not anymore done in the game folder but in the user appdata localsetting thing, i think that's something that could surely be user defined in some ini/cfg/whatever configuration file instead of telling the user to "you can use the environment variable ADOM_HOME by setting it to the directory where ADOM is installed".

changelog for those interested is here
http://www.ancardia.com/changelog.html
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 05:54:29 pm by Robsoie »

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2012, 08:53:53 pm »

I'm guessing the Windows save thing has to do with 7 and 8---there was some best practices change since the XP days and now it is common for most modern projects even if I'd often prefer ye olden days of "everything in a folder, copy and bring it wherever".   ToME 4 also shifted to this after the early days though in that case it actually comes in somewhat handy as under the old system it would be all to unlikely to accidentally just clear out the old folder for a fresh new Beta one day only to realize in horror too late that you'd then just lost allll your Unlocks
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9