Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: ADOM: Ressurection - Crowdfunding  (Read 28948 times)

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ADOM: Ressurection - Crowdfunding
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2013, 11:11:52 am »

ADOM is a great roguelike.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 11:14:33 am by Mookzen »

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2013, 09:34:30 pm »

Hah, I remember that game.  One of the first rogue-likes I played.  Most finished one I played, more finished and content filled than other similar games.  And now I find out it is getting tiles, which I'd never use (I specifically avoid tome for that reason, they give me headaches), and music, which it may have had before, I wouldn't know either.  I was actually interested in jade for a while, being attracted to the potential for raids and what not. 

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2013, 07:02:47 am »

It is also getting quite a fair bit of new content alongside the visuals and music, a couple new classes and races, and generally everything just getting far more polished, fixed, and fleshed out than it ever was back in the day.   JADE, now ADOM II, well, that one still has a plan of attack and will hopefully pick back up with more alpha releases after more of the ADOM heavy lifting gets done and situated---IIRC the good aspect is that a substantial heap of these new things for ADOM will also be able to carry forward to the ADOM II side of things so that should help a bit.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2013, 10:01:11 am »

finishing this game is so hard -_-
gopefully they'll release the new version soon

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2013, 12:29:36 pm »

TBH he should have just focused on JADE instead of this.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2013, 10:05:10 am »

Time to bump this, as not having followed much, i just noticed that in early november the ADoM dev released for the public (and not only for the crowdfunders) the latest pre-release with all the new stuff, the graphical aspect, music etc :
http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2013/11/adom-120-prerelease-18-is-available-for.html

you can check the changelog :
http://www.ancardia.com/changelog.html

I just quickly got a little session on the version with the noteye integration and i found it really good, don't worry about the nice graphics not allowing anymore to see everything at once, there's fortunately a mini map in a corner of the screen that display the whole zone in a window (and you can still download a no-noteye version)

But what really got to me positively the most is the mouse support that helps a lot in navigating (you can still use the hotkeys tough) but you still need to learn most hotkeys though as the interface does not have everything (unlike Crawl that has nearly everything available for the mouse in the tile version).

Looks like i'm going to be re-hooked for a while after some time as i was too used to the old non graphic version.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 10:28:28 am by Robsoie »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2013, 01:16:53 pm »

If this uses laptop friendly buttons (i.e. non keypad movement), I'll be all over this.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2013, 02:11:35 pm »

It's probably been a decade since I played ADOM regularly. It will be very interesting to see how much has changed. It was the first roguelike I cut my teeth on!

The screenshot looks nice. To be honest I am less inclined to play ASCII roguelikes these days because I'm getting old and find myself much less motivated to learn their arcane secrets. :P

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2013, 02:53:56 pm »

I just noticed sometime today since i posted there was some kind of hotfix to a nasty save breaking bug, get the new version here, still available for the public not only crowdfunders :
http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2013/11/adom-120-prerelease-19-is-now-available.html

I didn't have much free time today to play it (though enough to get a YASD :D ) , but regarding movements, you can fully use your mouse (and probably whatever touchpad is used by the laptop) to to point and click for the movement if you don't have or don't want to use the numpad.

And in case you want to only play with the ASCII, just press F10 during the game, this key switch between ASCII and graphics at any time .

The artwork is really good, the artist that made all those sprites is obviously talented.

NotEye that is apparently integrated allows some nice stuff from what i have read on that link, allowing to exchange the minimap (ascii) and graphic (whole screen) if you prefer, not sure how it works, as said i didn't looked yet deep into the game

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2013, 03:02:40 pm »

Before i forget, the NotEye menu can be accessed by pressing F8 , the NotEye->ADOM specific menu is on F9
There several usefull settings you can change to your liking, you can even play in isometric or 1st person mode in 3D environment !

Here's an example of those NotEyes options :

tiles :

isometric :

1st person :

mini tiles :

doubled mini tiles :

« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 03:53:28 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2013, 04:38:55 pm »

Ouch, i got a very good Grey Elf elementalist that was starting to get very good after leveling several time in the dog quest cave, until i found a well and decided to test my luck and drink to see if i could get some nice results that early, as it can result in -very- good and usefull things.

Unfortunately, i didn't got a good one and instead got heavily poisoned, while the well spawned a bunch of hostile snakes.

My character had a strong enough firebolt to deal with the snakes, but unfortunately nothing to deal with the nasty poisoning.

I had a potion of healing that helped to keep alive for more turns, but unfortunately the poisonned status didn't got away with time and my character met his doom running fast out of HP with that poison as i was trying to kill more things in the hope of a cure potion or something.

How much i forgot that ADoM can kill your character anytime :D

edit : by the way CTRL+Mousewheel allow you to zoom in and zoom out

edit : CTRL+M display another NotEye menu in which it is possible to redefine some keys, excellent for those that do not like some of the default shortcuts
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 06:15:36 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2013, 08:48:56 am »

Still having a lot of fun with that public pre-release, the big visual upgrade and the music really contribute to the atmosphere, it's been a long time i didn't played ADOM it was already a very good game before but i'm surprised by how the upgrade is making it better for me.

Currently running a Grey Elf Wizard (as that's the combo that i keep alive for the longest time usually) and reached the water temple level
After getting rid of the monsters in the exterior of the temple , as my swimming is too low i used by Frost bolt to build some ice bridge to cross the channels, i entered the main building and saw the Snake from Beyond sitting there (invisibility helps a lot there)

After using some Lightning bolt (that rebound on the walls) to wake up those elementals and their leader, i ran away while the Snake was following, but my powerfull Fire bolts were strong enough to near-destroy the monster that panicked and ran away inside of the temple after that

After a one sided battle (surprisingly one sided in my favour as the beast was failing its "shrug off" checks a lot) i decided to kill with my Magic missiles spell (as i need to train its power more, something Elona kept when used its Adom inspiration )

I took the corrupted orb from its corpse, and as i had no way to preserve it enough to bring it back to the druid in Terinyo in exchange of potion of cure corruption, i decided to eat the corrupted beast, the idea was in fact to see what kind of corruption my character would get from that as there are lots of new ones in that pre-release in comparison to the old version, and i have some potions of cure corruptions with some scroll of corruption resistance waiting in my stash in case those corruptions are not positive.
And addition you get +4dex and +4 mana from what the wiki is saying in that new version of adom

Hmm, the leg one is not too bad, as kicking door is something i do much less as i have now most of the keys, and running faster is always good
The eye one is overall good, as i don't care about my appearance and charisma for that character run, as it's mostly used for shop pricing and i have no companions anyways, and my headgear being a crappy one, i can remove it ( headgear will prevent the bonus of that specific eye corruption) 
But the 3rd one is really nasty from what i read in the wiki as it can transform some enemies into one of the nasty primordial chaos mass, that are rather high end enemies
And it would heal possible corrupted enemies, something i don't really want, the good side is that it's on melee attacks, not on my spells

Anyways lots of fun, anyone else here is playing this public version of the 1.20 pre-release ?
Really worth a try
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 10:06:50 am by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2013, 02:23:02 pm »

The pre-release 20 is now available for all public again (probably the last one for a while as it should be back to the crowdfounders only until the official release or that steam one the dev seems to be aiming to, and why he made those public pre release to gather more attention)
http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2013/11/adom-120-prerelease-20-now-is-available_28.html

changelog since last version (apparently it fixes some bug in pre release 19 that i didn't ran into with my grey elf that sadly fell in the tower of eternal flame)
http://www.ancardia.com/changelog.html

That crowdfunded update has really been an excellent work since the last time i played ADOM

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2013, 12:24:29 am »

X5 POST COMBO.

This thread seems to be pretty much dead. If there are any other appropriate threads to discuss this game in, you should probably go there. Dunno if there's an ADOM thread, though.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2013, 01:10:14 am »

this IS the ADOM thread, and he is giving us updates on the status of development. I wouldnt assume that nobody discussing the game means that nobody is interested. Theres just not too much to say until release.
I got nothing
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9