Poll

Which of these mods would you prefer

None
Civilisation Forge
What Has Science Done?!
Suika Fortress
Other (please specify)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Boatbusted, a Civ Forge Succession Game. Absolutely No Experience Required.  (Read 10928 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

Hey Bay 12,

I'm starting a succession game. I've put up a poll about mods, to just to have a poll running, which may be changed later if we need to vote on things about the fortress. We will be using Civilisation Forge with the Spearbreakers mod (which adds the Spawn of Holistic and Mountain Barbarians), with only one [DEEP_SPECIAL] metal, and possibly with language fixed. The version will be 0.34.11, or wherever we end up at in the future (assuming compatibility)

Rules:
-Turns last 48 hours of real time. Play as much as you can in that time, and then give a reason why your dwarf is stepping down. You can play more than a year or less than a year.
-Try to roleplay your fortress and post frequent. I understand that role-playing ability or willingness is extremely variable, producing results between the "realistic made-up-that-which-cannot-be-made-up" and "More secretive than Area 51 under omega+ alert" levels. At least we'd like to see an "end of year report" consisting of the screenshot or the numbers. If roleplaying is insufficient, of course, anyone may publish an interim report based on rumor, speculation, and paranoia.
-Try not to leave the fortress in an unplayable state. If the fortress isn't in a good state to move on from and ends up in an unplayable state, we will revert to a previous state.
-Try to avoid the use of DF hack. If you need to use DF hack, i.e. to plug up a hole in the ocean floor with the water draining into an aquifer, or into the caverns, with sub-zero FPS, we may or probably will let it go ahead.
-Most of these rules are subject to modification. If FPS drops to the point where we need more time, the general allowance will likely be increased.
-There will be 3 possible extensions of 24 hours available per month of real time, for use collectively, with 2 extra extensions of 24 hours available for emergencies per month. You may only take 2 extensions in one sitting, of any kind. The collective-use extensions may be used at any time and for any reason, including no reason. However, you should role play them i.e "In order to finish building the entrances to the caverns, I've been asked to remain overseer for a little longer." Good reasons should be given for emergency extensions. In general, these are because real life interrupts your crushing of the goblin siege with some crap that prevents you from playing Dwarf Fortress.

Embark information:
-I haven't merged the mods and genned a world, but I'm planning to do a "long embark", which means we will do a 3x16 or a 16x3, probably with the majority over a desolate biome (such as mountains or ocean). From experience, this produces reasonable FPS (same as for a 4x4) for yet inexplicable reasons (I have some suspicious about the pathfinding).
-I will attempt to have a [CLASSIFIED_INFORMATION] included.
-If a 3x16 doesn't produce the expected results, I will probably switch to either a 2x16 or a 16x2 or a 4x4 or 3x3. I'm going to try to include variety of biomes as well if possible.

EXTENSIONS AVAILABLE: 3
EMERGENCY EXTENSIONS AVAILABLE: 2

Turn List:
1. Captain Archmage
2. Coral
3. Lightningfalcon
4. Slowpokez
5. Godlysockpuppet
6. Valrandir
7. Australianwinter
8. Betelgeuse

If people want to suggest group or fortress names, post them below. If the name isn't available, we can add in the words...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 09:16:33 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Complicated Succession Game: No Experience Required
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 12:15:31 pm »

Reserved.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 12:16:31 pm »

Reserved 2.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 12:17:40 pm »

Well written OP. May I get a turn in this?

-Waiting for you to finish reserving posts-
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 12:39:52 pm »

Well written OP. May I get a turn in this?
-Waiting for you to finish reserving posts-

Thanks. And I've finished reserving posts, and added you to Turn 2.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 12:54:38 pm »

Sounds cool and I'd like a turn :P
preferably round 4 instead of 3

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 01:21:55 pm »

Well I've run into a tiny bit of trouble.

I downloaded the latest version of Civilisation Forge, and merged the Spearbreakers material, and the game crashed whilst opening the arena (which is a great way to check for errors in the raws without generating a new world). I'll provide another update when I find out what's wrong.

Update: The "book_instruction.txt" is missing. And a lot of other files seem to be missing. I think I may just merge what I have now with vanilla DF...

Update 2: All missing files have been found copied into the raws. No errors show up in the log.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 01:59:46 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 04:57:34 pm »

I would like turn 3.
But what is Civilization forge?  I've never heard of it.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 05:27:35 pm »

I would like turn 3.
But what is Civilization forge?  I've never heard of it.

Signed you up. Civilisation forge is a mod that adds a large quantity of content; there are a large number of entities.

Here's where things stand: I've tested the objects file out, and it checks out. I've done a not-too-comprehensive check for duplicated raws, and am reasonably confident there aren't any (and if there are, the succession game will have even more !!XX+<+FUN+>+XX!! with fluffy wambler sieges and donkey cheese ore). By the way, there were a few things wrong with the Mountain Barbarian creature and entity files, which I fixed.

The situation is as follows: The world has one dwarf civilisation. We have no humans and no spawn of holistic, and I think one or two other civilisations might be missing. We do, however, have 5 non-dwarf friendly civilisations and 5 openly hostile civilisations. We don't have as many volcanoes as I'd have liked us to have, but its still at the entity file maximum. There are quite a few fun locations for us to try out.

If people absolutely demand a world with all civilisations I can try that. I might have to go through a lot of worlds.

Please remember, this is a mac, and I'm not using any graphics packs (or dwarf rapist, or dfhack, and all the mod files were merged and fixed either manually or with Find and Replace). If people do use graphics packs, does anyone know how to stop the tiles from being totally messed up?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 05:28:57 pm »

I'm going to watch this, And I voted for Civ Forge. I haven't seen a succesion fort use that mod yet.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 05:38:22 pm »

I'm going to watch this, And I voted for Civ Forge. I haven't seen a succesion fort use that mod yet.

There's always got to be a first time.

Here's an alternative strategy to get the Spawn of Holistic in: I will add their creatures as castes of the Chaos Dwarves. It won't look as sexy on the orbital bombardment screen I mean embark screen but it will add them into the game in some form.

Some mod history: As far as I know, Syrupleaf used an edited form of civilisation forge, which added the Spawn of Holistic. I think Chaos Dwarves were added in because of that, so technically it wouldn't be that bad to change Chaos Dwarves to Spawn of Holistic beyond potential crashes in the game system. I'm worried about the latter.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 06:33:12 pm »

Can I join? Never played a succesion fort and would like to try :) Can we use Mephs MASTERWORK mod though?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 06:47:01 pm »

So on the world that I've generated, I've gotten around 80-100FPS on test embarks with 16x3 or 3x16 embarks over forest biomes. Ocean biomes generate 50-60FPS, but I've had the same with normal sized embarks over oceans. Apparently the mist really slows everything down. This is pretty good news.

Once again, I don't know why that kind of embark size gets a good FPS - this game has more in it than normal DF. Maybe it produces better pathfinding?

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 07:20:29 pm »

In my experience pathfinding was only really an issue between Z layers  :-\ Don't hold me by that though

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 09:32:32 pm »

The one dwarven civilisation is The Trade of Bows, and the Mountainhome is called Twilighttours...

I'm going to delay embarking for a bit. In the meantime, here's how everything starts out...

From the daily blog of "Captain Archmage", a recent graduate of the Twilighttours University. It is 19th Granite of the year 20.

The stock exchange crashed today, and the mountainhomes are in chaos. Rumour has it the elves have been meddling in the economy, trying to bring it to its knees. That's not going to be the main subject of my log today, though, for a simple reason.

I don't care.

To be honest, society made me pay my way through university; by the same logic, I'm going to let everyone else pay their way out of it. I'm leaving.

To pay for university, I had to study magic. Teaching magic is the one thing that paid really well. I also learned some useful tricks. Such as rating the quality of alcohol, and divining the nature of the surroundings.

Three days ago, I got back from a geological expedition to the north. We've charted a region [TO BE FILLED IN]. We're going to found a settlement there.

How am I going to get it done?

First of all, I've foreclosed my uncle's smelter. A first year economics class teaches you one thing: When debt is sold on, it gets dirt cheap. I swapped around a dozen barrels of moonshine for my uncle's smelter mortgage, and settled it with him. This has provided me with an overabundance of ore that we can just cart with us.

"We" naturally refers to myself, and six other poor bastards brave souls caught up in everything and the spirit of exploration to get out of the mountainhomes before everything goes into the pit expand the frontiers of dwarven society. The best place to be today is, after all, somewhere not in the Mountainhomes. We're going far to the north, about as far away as you can get without loosing supply lines.

A few +<+days+>+ later

Its snowing heavily over a mountain range. It is very dark. The scene cuts to underground; a large wagon rolls at recklessly high speeds through the streets of the Mountainhomes.

Captain Archmage (to the driver): Hey asshole, we still have six dwarves. Where's the bloody seventh one?

Driver (the driver has a long mowhawk, and is chewing constantly): Eh?

Archmage: The seventh one, we were supposed to have bloody seven of us to meet guild regulations!

Driver (pulling up an ear trumpet): Speak up sonny boy, I can't hear ya!

The wagon smashes into a cart; the spiked, steel-clad wheels split open the cart's wheels. The cart spills its load, and crashes into a inn, and the wagon skids to a halt, spilling haematite over the street. Archmage running in the opposite direction at astonishing speed, whilst a guard holds up a crossbow to the driver. The shot pans down the length of the weapon.

Guard: You're under arrest.

Cut to Archmage, who makes a right into a small alley, reaching another main road. On running out into the street, he slips on a pile of horseshit and skids into the blacksmith. A sign, stating "Foreclosed" crashes to the ground after a few seconds of nothing happening.

The blacksmith has been abandoned, but it isn't uninhabited. Two dwarves are inside, one juggling knives and another shorter one having a beer. The taller dwarf is decked out in leather. The shorter one is drinking from a mug, of which all craftsdwarfship is of atrocious quality. The item is wrapped in bands of platinum, and studded in clear diamond. In his hand is a cigar. He has a ring through his nose; while the quality is very high, when juxtaposed with his other gear, it is of worse taste than possibly imaginable. Captain Archmage skids in and crashes into the table, spilling the beer.

Short Dwarf: Hey... ya made me spill.

The shorter dwarf holds the cigar up to Archmage's forehead, but after noticing the quantity of horseshit dripping off it, he sits back and kicks him away, before standing up and spitting on the floor. Archmage gets up, drawing out a gem-encrusted sword. Fire envelops the sword. The taller dwarf remains juggling knives, completely apathetic to what is going on.

We cut back to the scene of the crash. There is fire, and violence all around.

Another guard: Order! Order!

Captain: Fall back!

A barrel cracks over the Captain's helmet and he is pulled backwards into the mob. The guard backs away, firing a few indiscriminate shots. Cut to the distance, we see Archmage and the two dwarves. The tall dwarf is uninjured, still juggling knives. The short dwarf has several injuries to his face. Archmage is covered in considerably less horseshit than before.

Archmage (to the rest of the crew): Alright let's get this show on the road.

Archmage picks up a gold nugget from the ground and tosses it into the wagon, and all get on, pulling out of the riot. We then see the wagon flying at irresponsibly high speeds towards a massively fortified area.

Cut to the Outpost Liason's office. The room is completely carved out of marble, and there are numerous gold and marble statues of the grand figures of dwarven history and legend on the walls.

Liason: Seven dwarves... to colonize somepace... I've got nearly everything covered. Just two more things...

We need your group name... and the name of the fortress you're about to found...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 09:34:13 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6