Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't Make Coke - Dwarves won't see my coke making minerals  (Read 2620 times)

DumbFriend

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

So I build a magma furnace, smelted many of minerals into iron, copper, and what not.  But for whatever reason, my dwarves will not smelt bituminous coal or lignite into coke.

I have a pile of each right next to the furnace, but every time I put the order in to make coke (which is selectable in the furnace menu) I get the error message:  "Furnace Operator cancels Make Coke from bituminous coal:  Needs bituminous coal."

Driving me nuts!  The bituminous coal is right next to him but he can't see it or the giant pile of lignite next to him.

Anyone have any ideas?  I tried cueing up the job through the manager but still got the same error message.  My fortress needs sweet steel!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Can't Make Coke - Dwarves won't see my coke making minerals
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 11:38:56 am »

Your smelter isn't set to take from other stockpiles, is it?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

DumbFriend

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 11:47:16 am »

Your smelter isn't set to take from other stockpiles, is it?

Um, yeah he may have been - but I can't figure out how to disable that option?  Can you help a brother out?

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 12:14:24 pm »

You need to either remove the give links to the smelter from all stockpiles, so it can take from anywhere, or also set the bituminous coal stockpile to also give to the smelter.

Basically, if a workshop has any take links with stockpiles, it always counts as "take only from this(/these) stockpiles"

DumbFriend

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 01:26:51 pm »

You need to either remove the give links to the smelter from all stockpiles, so it can take from anywhere, or also set the bituminous coal stockpile to also give to the smelter.

Basically, if a workshop has any take links with stockpiles, it always counts as "take only from this(/these) stockpiles"

That was, in fact, the issue, and I got it sorted out.  Thanks for the help!