Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mass interruptions from refuse  (Read 898 times)

catote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mass interruptions from refuse
« on: July 02, 2012, 11:26:18 am »

Right now my colony has stopped working. They are pretty much all INTERRUPTED by refuse.
As per the newbie guide, I have:
- setup an outdoor stockpile for CORPSES
- setup an outdoor stockpile for refuse
but also for my kitchen
- setup an indoor stockpile for refuse, this is placed faraway and behind several doors
Furthermore I have a
- an outdoor zone for pasture

OK so suddenly something happens. I dont know what.
Perhaps it began with a BUZZARD corpse inside the Pen.
Perhaps it was the ever increase in blood from kills.

Either way, Im about to give up. Becase
- animals assigned to the pens is running away
- dwarves spend time dragging them back
- constant error messages about interruptions, caused by: A) billy goat skin and B) Krafalapumbin's partial skeleton
- dwarves do NOT drag corpses to the corpse stockpile
- the buzzard corpse seems to continue to scare away my animals, neverending story.

Even if I give up. Can someone please give tips.
Including an idiot safe way for newbies to setup corpse/refuse stockpiles ...

Thanks in advance.

PS Oh, and the caravan cannot get out. Why is that, when it clearly did come in. The path is now closed where I build the 7 traps.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 11:42:15 am by catote »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Mass interruptions from refuse
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 11:41:50 am »

very simple:

a necromancer seems to be paying a visit. He's reanimating corpses, skins and whatever he can find

next time in embark, check if you're near a tower, town, or something other than the usual human,dwarf, elf or goblin civilizations.

How to deal with it. First remove those pastures and get all your dwarfs inside, let the undead walk a trap corridor. Make another refuse pile somewhere with very limited LOS.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 11:43:49 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

catote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 11:44:16 am »

Thanks, new game for me then.
That's where the famous quote come in...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 11:46:54 am »

Thanks, new game for me then.
That's where the famous quote come in...

hang on till everyone dies, maybe amusing stuff happens, like a child running away from a corpse, bumping into the necromancer and punching his brains out. It could happen, unlikely, but you'll never know if you just abandon.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 11:48:55 am »

It's impossible for refuse or corpses to scare dwarves unless it was reanimated into some kind of undead creature.

If it's a necro doing it, he may not be revealed because no one has spotted him. If it is an evil biome, you need to forget about meat industry because it is entirely too dangerous.

Looks like there is a boulder blocking the caravan. Build a floor on that boulder (or a road) and then deconstruct if you wish.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 11:49:20 am »

About the trade caravan: the game's minecart update made traps take up space and block trade routes. So you'll need to either unbuild the traps temporarily or dig a new path for the wagons. SO you could try killing 2 birds with one stone: make a path for the wagons that passes by your undead problem and hope the caravan guards take care of it for you =D

EDIT: Also, how did you install your graphics pack? 'Cause rock walls really shouldn't look like mushrooms.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 11:51:52 am »

you know, in the beginning I don't care about wagons that muh anyway. It's not like I'm trading much. Might as well focus on defences and make a wagon entrance later on.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 01:10:44 pm »

When animals in a pasture have babies, they need to be assigned to the pasture also. As for a pasture, wall it in, only entrance a door/hatch that is not passable by pets, close to the farmers workshop for milking, and the butchery shops
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 02:03:57 pm »

Newborn animals are assigned to their mother's pasture now.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.