Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41

Author Topic: Total War: Rome 2 still totally has a trailer now  (Read 64927 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Rome 2 still totally has a trailer now
« Reply #585 on: December 13, 2014, 04:16:59 am »

So, playing as Seleucids again. Migrated to Ireland and took British Isles. It was 50 game years of nonstop fighting for the isles. I lost a lot from ambushes, and hordes of barbarians.

I ended up friending the barbarians of Europe, got them to join the war and slowly took the isles. At one point I nearly lost my two main armies...which would have made me get pushed back or even lose.

But, now I am seleucids living on British isles, friend of barbarians.

Sure beats 100s of enemies hating me around Syria. :p
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: December 13, 2014, 04:43:39 am »

I noticed the AI got some more buffs, especially on the campaign side.

On very hard difficulty I've been ambushed more times than I can count. Enemy armies flanking around my main forces to hit me in the rear. Navies coordinating with land forces to take my undefended positions. Enemy agents locking my forces in place while they use their armies to circle around. It doesn't feel like they're cheating, though I'm sure they still are, but at least it's more subtle and more enjoyable.

I also had some awesome battles. For example, it took me 70 in-game years to take the city of Massalia. It was just a ridiculous back and forth of armies across the plains in front of the city where the might of my forces were completely stalemated against that one single city and its allies. The highlight was a 12,000 soldier battle in a... crater? It was literally a crater. London was another one. Took me decades to capture it, mostly because they kept intercepting my invasion forces.

Also I like that diplomacy is actually possible in very hard now, as opposed to every single faction hating you from day 1 permanently.

The AI is still garbage at siege battles though.

The changes to the buildings and food and all that is so much better. Thank god for that.

Oh yeah, and the Iberians are so freaking awesome. Every single one of their infantry are also ranged units. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. Not those lame spears that some guys throw when charging or chasing. No no. These guys are all skirmishers. It's like fielding armies consisting only of ranged units that are also really good at fighting in melee. It's so crazy. Charging into Iberian lines is so ridiculous as half your army dies before they reach the first guy.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 13, 2014, 06:56:24 am »

What changes did they do to food/buildings?
Love, scriver~

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: December 13, 2014, 10:59:36 am »

I noticed the AI got some more buffs, especially on the campaign side.

On very hard difficulty I've been ambushed more times than I can count. Enemy armies flanking around my main forces to hit me in the rear. Navies coordinating with land forces to take my undefended positions. Enemy agents locking my forces in place while they use their armies to circle around. It doesn't feel like they're cheating, though I'm sure they still are, but at least it's more subtle and more enjoyable.

I also had some awesome battles. For example, it took me 70 in-game years to take the city of Massalia. It was just a ridiculous back and forth of armies across the plains in front of the city where the might of my forces were completely stalemated against that one single city and its allies. The highlight was a 12,000 soldier battle in a... crater? It was literally a crater. London was another one. Took me decades to capture it, mostly because they kept intercepting my invasion forces.

Also I like that diplomacy is actually possible in very hard now, as opposed to every single faction hating you from day 1 permanently.

The AI is still garbage at siege battles though.

The changes to the buildings and food and all that is so much better. Thank god for that.

Oh yeah, and the Iberians are so freaking awesome. Every single one of their infantry are also ranged units. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. Not those lame spears that some guys throw when charging or chasing. No no. These guys are all skirmishers. It's like fielding armies consisting only of ranged units that are also really good at fighting in melee. It's so crazy. Charging into Iberian lines is so ridiculous as half your army dies before they reach the first guy.

There is a mod that removes capture points. It is supposed to greatly improves siege AI, might be worth a try.

Now I'm gonna try Iberians. That sounds awesome. So far I've stuck with Seleucids, but I need a break from them.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: December 13, 2014, 02:53:52 pm »

What changes did they do to food/buildings?
They just made it so you're not spending half the game managing happiness and food.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: December 16, 2014, 02:26:54 am »

I am enjoying my Iberian play through a lot. Its more fun for me than playing as Seleucids. But could be cause I always choose Seleucids lol. But my Seleucid game I migrated to Ireland and took the isles. That is fun and makes a good story.

United Iberia and in war with new carrhago and Carthage. Huge battles going on, but winning thus far. Iberia has really strong units. Fun to use, too. Actually, they remind me a bit of a mix of barbarian units and civilized units to be honest. Kind of like a cross between them...is that just me that feels that?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 02:34:32 am by Vendayn »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: December 16, 2014, 03:21:35 am »

Well... that and how all their units are ranged units. Their slingers are also insane.

Their naval sucks complete garbage though. Seriously, it's completely worthless. Even transport ships are better than them.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: December 16, 2014, 01:29:53 pm »

Well... that and how all their units are ranged units. Their slingers are also insane.

Their naval sucks complete garbage though. Seriously, it's completely worthless. Even transport ships are better than them.

Well, that part about the navy isn't a big deal to me. I greatly dislike navy fights in Total War. Sea fights are confusing as hell to me in Total War. Never figured them out in Empire Total War in all my time playing even after watching literally 6 hours of video on it, nor Rome 2. I have better skill clicking the auto battle button for navy fights. :P I'm not much into the water anyway in real life either, don't like swimming or going into the ocean and don't like going into the pool (only the hot tub)...I prefer land or the voyage of space :P
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 01:45:59 pm by Vendayn »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: December 16, 2014, 01:47:20 pm »

The only TW naval battles that I've gotten the hang of/liked were Shogun 2 and Fall of the Samurai's (there was something delightfully destructive about the latter). Rome 2 is just an unholy mess in that regard. I can't ever actually seem to get my ships to ram or board anyone - they just kinda shuffle awkwardly and sink.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 16, 2014, 06:02:19 pm »

It is amazing how consistently I get my ass kicked in naval engagements in Rome 2. I blink and my general's ship gets rammed by some freaking slow-ass transport full of levy freemen.

I would think, on principle, that I'd be able to figure it out, but I've been sticking to autoresolve for a while now.

So many moving objects!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: December 16, 2014, 07:16:36 pm »

There was a patch today and transports can no longer ram, though I think most of my naval losses have been to transports with javelin guys that set my ships on fire.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: January 09, 2015, 05:37:51 am »

There was a patch today and transports can no longer ram, though I think most of my naval losses have been to transports with javelin guys that set my ships on fire.

Finally! I complained since the release that army  to free transport made then ridiculously op

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: January 09, 2015, 11:06:45 am »

Well, good thing that only took, what, two+ years?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: February 21, 2015, 04:03:40 am »

So, I'm gonna be playing Rome 2 again in a day or two.

I plan to be one of the eastern factions and migrate to Ireland.

The choices are:
Seleucids, Parthia, Armenia or Meroe/Blemmys/Axum (african factions, but still in the east)

I did this with the Seleucids, and it was a ton of fun. I never finished the game though because I had to reinstall my PC and forgot to backup my saves and I never turned on steam cloud save (tended to cause random crashes). Seleucids do tend to be my favorite faction, and its kinda funny leaving everyone who hates you and becoming a "civilized" barbarian. That and they get elephants, so elephants will migrate to Ireland and breed there :P

Parthia I never really played, don't know too much about them. I think being Parthia in Ireland would be hilarious lol. I love their units.

Armenia tends to be my 2nd favorite faction after Seleucid, but I LOVE their history. Good units.

The 3 African factions I listed (Meroe/Blemmys/Axum) are pretty similar to each other (unit wise, exactly the same) so I put them as one group. But imagining africans taking over Ireland sounds great. And they are one of the few darker skinned units in Rome 2, maybe the only ones in Rome 2 as far as I know. Their units are kinda weak, but they are still cool. I'd probably resort to recruiting elephant mercenaries to help take over Ireland.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: February 22, 2015, 05:30:08 pm »

So, here are the mods I use/don't use.

Augustus seems to work fine, I tried a few factions and only Judea (that I tried, out of 5 different ones. Including Rome, Armenia, Parthia and a couple others) has that weird -100k money at the start. Probably easy to fix with pack editor program thingy. But, since I prefer the grand campaign its kinda minor and Judea is only faction with that bug for Augustus that I saw.

As for mods

I'm using
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?625637-ToonTotalWar-s-Rome-2-All-In-One-Mod-v3-9-5-for-Patch-16-1-Emperor-Edition-Updated-01-2-2015

And some of these mods:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=195892169

I'm using some of that. I ended up taking quite a bit out, since I didn't check between ToonTotalWar and his mod, so I removed most of the ones included in Toon Mod. I am not using (thought it be easier than listing the ones I'm using, but guess I should have done it the other way)...

-(testing) Grand Campaign on Augustus map (it isn't compatible with unlock all factions.) (edit note after typing this post up: I ended up leaving it activated, I lose all the cool faction choices...but guess I'll give it a shot. I mostly play seleucid anyway or Armenia, I didn't really play the custom ones except africa)

-I'm not using king's of the north as that is included in toontotalwar
-None of the Dresden ones, thats all included
-Kaziel's romans are already included in toontotalwar
-Better siege by noif is already included
-The TWH unit packs are already in toontotalwar
-Noif better horses is already in toontotalwar
-Smarmy is included in toontotalwar, but because it looks like the compilation listed on steam includes more stuff, I decided to keep it
-Not using the camera mod

Think thats all of what I didn't use.

The most conflicts come from Smarmy compilation. Also Radious and Farsovereign Unit Pack 3 seems to have a lot of conflicts, but I personally kept both. Unless Smarmy is all included (doesn't appear so), and Farsovereign wasn't listed but is in toontotalwar...I'll keep both.

As for the load order I did, went from least conflicts to most conflicts (with the custom mod manager, not the default Rome 2 one). All the "none" conflicts went to the bottom below as they don't really effect anything with other mods.

Now onto DEI submods (not DEI itself)

I went with Slower Battles 2.0, but I'm still testing things out. Doesn't seem as good as the one I was using before. I don't really like it.

www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?668061-Official-Submod-Faster-Slower-Battles-Movement

So I'll probably switch that with Drew's version on page 9 (in the link he provides a link to it)

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?651741-Ancient-Battle-Realism-submod-bubba777-revamp-compatible-with-DEI-0-96b-27-09-2014-update-release/page9

See how that works. I was using the original battle realism submod, which worked fine till I started trying out the other ones. Maybe Drew's will be better, if not its back to the original ancient battle realism

I got this mod too, diplomatic options for everyone. Dunno how realistic it is, but I like it...so...there I had the same type of mod for Attila lol. (though I haven't fully tested it)

www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?673644-Official-Submod-All-Diplomatic-Options-for-All-Factions

And I've always used this one, never had an issue with it. Maybe something similar is in ToonTotalWar already, but oh well lol

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?660875-Official-Submod-No-Public-Order-Negative-from-Garrisoning-Troops

This one is my favorite one of all DEI submods. It makes campaigns a lot harder, less zerg-like (vanilla total war is REALLY zerg-like, guess thats what people like these days oh well each their own.) and far more fun

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ns-Versions%29

I went with

@conquest=ponightmarenogarrisons(DEI1.0).rar (3.5 KB, 10 views)

Which I guess is the normal version. There is also Lite version which is more popular and the extreme (but I find it a bit much, but guess a small amount use it).

And this one I've always used as well. Slows down campaign a bit, but its better for more strategic gameplay and I find it more realistic

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?662286-SUBMOD-Reduced-movement-range-for-land-units-26-01-2015

With the above mod setup...and I'm still testing the battle ones. And the diplomacy one I haven't fully tried yet. And dunno if I'll keep grand campaign with augustus map mod or not, having all factions unlocked never really did much (personally for me, as like I said, I always play Seleucids/Armenia). So maybe for me, it will add more depth to the map. But in any case, outside of the first 3 mods I talked about...it should all work for you if anyone tries this particular setup.

But outside of Judea in Augustus...grand campaign didn't have any bugs in my 16 hour game. I'll be doing another long play through on probably monday night or tuesday...see how the few new mods I got (and mods I removed) end up doing. One thing I'll be keeping a closer eye on, isn't so much campaign (I already know that fully works in Grand Campaign) but the battles as that was my main complaint with Rome 2 vanilla and Attila (Attila was even WORSE for battles)...way too arcadey for me.

Oh, and I have 63 mods active. I think 63 is the Rome 2 limit or REALLY close to it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 10:16:42 pm by Vendayn »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41