Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 41

Author Topic: Total War: Rome 2 still totally has a trailer now  (Read 65007 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Rome 2 totally has a trailer now
« Reply #315 on: September 05, 2013, 10:56:46 am »

Anyone know good ways to make people like me more, so I can confederate them? Trying to join as many Celtic tribes without a fight as possible, but they're rather stubborn. Is giving money pretty much the only thing I can offer to sweeten deals?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 05, 2013, 11:04:59 am »

Be really, really, really powerful.

They'll also ask to be your client state if they're losing wars with other nations badly. It's quite amusing.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 05, 2013, 11:22:49 am »

Hey, that sounds reasonable! Trying to confederate though, not sure if that has different requirements than client states, since you absorb them in to your faction.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #318 on: September 05, 2013, 01:27:51 pm »

Is there any way to integrate a client state into your faction or do I have to wait until rebels steal their cities and swipe them before they do?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 05, 2013, 01:41:45 pm »

I'm currently under the impression that absolutely nothing can counter Praetorians. My Praetorians kill hundreds with only a couple casualties, even going against pretty decently armoured troops they shrug things off. I've been manually doing battles where I just send my praetorians ahead of the main army, mostly being principes and triarii, just to minimize casualties. Part of that probably has to do with being built in a region with armour and weapon smiths and a training ground, but I've now decided that small armies of ~3 praetorians and a ballista will suffice to conquer the planet.

Shadow Creator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 05, 2013, 08:47:58 pm »

The slingers are the first tier ranged unit that all the eastern people get. I have been playing as Pontus and not sure if they are the exact same as from Greece and further west. The slingers have longer range than archers, which really irks me, and apparently laugh in the face of hoplite or shield formation armored units. They die like nothing if you reach them it is just amazing what they do in a couple volleys sometimes. There is definitely no waiting out some ranged units like I did in Rome 1 with Romans or Greek hoplites.

As for diplomacy you just do what Umimam mentioned... be really strong. I always pick families with diplomatic traits as well. If someone refuses to give me what I want or to become my satrapy I show up with the army and watch how friendly they become. I also make a bunch of allies by finding neighbors I don't care about owning and offering to fight against their enemies, just make sure to ask for what it is you want at the time of offering. I got Knossos and Rhodus to ally me by going to war with the Seleucids.

Edit: Anyone else think that using forced march should incur a penalty... maybe something like 5%-10% troop loss?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 08:56:42 pm by Shadow Creator »
☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - V.3 -
 - A comprehensive mod pack with 25% higher FPS -
Download @ DFFD ::: WIN ::: MAC ::: LINUX

Shadow Creator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 05, 2013, 08:50:49 pm »

Did we want to start a steam group for Rome 2? In case anyone wanted to play around with the multiplayer game, ask questions in games, or just chat? Not sure if people are up for that knowing this is primarily a single player game... I think.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 05, 2013, 09:05:15 pm »

There are some pretty hefty penalties to forced march but keep in mind it was fairly common in the old days. I think the main reason it's here is just to make the navigating of the massive map more tolerable. So instead of waiting 4 - 5 turns for one army to march from Rome to Gaul, it takes only 2. Quality of life change.

The weaknesses are you can't attack anything. You can't turn it off in the same turn after you selected it so you really can't attack anything. You can't recruit or do any of that stuff. And god help you if you get attacked, look at all those negative buffs.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 05, 2013, 09:10:52 pm »

There are some pretty hefty penalties to forced march but keep in mind it was fairly common in the old days. I think the main reason it's here is just to make the navigating of the massive map more tolerable. So instead of waiting 4 - 5 turns for one army to march from Rome to Gaul, it takes only 2. Quality of life change.

The weaknesses are you can't attack anything. You can't turn it off in the same turn after you selected it so you really can't attack anything. You can't recruit or do any of that stuff. And god help you if you get attacked, look at all those negative buffs.

I actually got caught in am ambush during a force march. Yeah imagine all the fun of an ambush battle, but with a 25% morale penalty. Quintillius Varus indeed.

Shadow Creator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 06, 2013, 09:54:52 am »

Is gravitas and the internal politics all a facade at the moment? It seems all actions lose influence points, even those that eliminate rival parties, which makes little sense if it succeeds. Almost all of my leading family members end up with a trait that removes one gravitas a turn but there seems no difference between members who have 0 and those that have 100. They come and go with the various families with no change occuring. When I try looking it up it appears others have no idea what any of the internal politics do and appear to think it is actually not a working system as of yet. Personally I have yet to play a Rome campaign but from forums it seems no different than the other families in that it seems useless at this point. In the few long term campaigns I have going it seems influence always steadily goes down to about 48% for the main family you choose then sticks that way for the rest of the game.

Thoughts?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 06, 2013, 09:57:58 am »

Thought it was 50% morale penalty? Regardless it's a pretty big blow...I personally play with a moral mod to make battles longer and less arcade like...it's amazing...they average 5-10 minutes now rather than 2-3

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?618513-Radious-Moral-Mod-!!!!

plenty of other good mods as well...I would check them out!

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 06, 2013, 11:16:33 am »

Well, slingers are kind of OP compared to rome 1 or armour is bugged (i haven't found shield stat, anyone know if it's shown anywhere ingame?). Spartan hoplites with +2/+2 armor/shield (0 experience) in phalanx formation loose 40% men to unupgraded 0 experience basic epirus slingers as they empty their ammo. Javelinmans and archers barely keeps up and got much shorter range.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 06, 2013, 11:18:43 am »

The slingers are the first tier ranged unit that all the eastern people get. I have been playing as Pontus and not sure if they are the exact same as from Greece and further west. The slingers have longer range than archers, which really irks me, and apparently laugh in the face of hoplite or shield formation armored units. They die like nothing if you reach them it is just amazing what they do in a couple volleys sometimes. There is definitely no waiting out some ranged units like I did in Rome 1 with Romans or Greek hoplites.

They should have. Remember, these weren't English Longbows or composite bows (and there's still theories that slings would have equal effective range to English Longbows if slung by somebody grown up in a slinger culture - but I take those theories with a large grain of salt). They should be effective against heavy troops as well, seeming as both stones and shaped bullets travel with enough force that even if they do not break the armour (which was well within their power) they can still break the mushy meat-and-bone-stuff on the other side of it.

Slings were basically the English Longbows of the Classical Age. They took a lifetime to master, but they dominated the battlefield. The reason the Greeks and Romans thought of it as a "dishonourable weapon" was, in my uneducated opinion, just because they were sour because they risked getting outclassed by a bunch of goat-fucking mountain-herders every time they looked east.

That said, that's pretty much the opposite of my experience. I'm having trouble killing anything with slingers.
Love, scriver~

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 06, 2013, 02:01:06 pm »

Also remember that aside from the chainmail all the legionaires wore, everyone's "armor" back in the day was little more than strapping what is basically bronze pots, pans, and pairs of jeans to themselves.

I can echo scriver's statement too.

My slingers and low level peasant skirmishers are all almost useless when it comes to killing things. They're just very annoying. At the end screen stats you have peltasts and other better skirmishers with good kill numbers but slingers with like... 20. This compared with wardogs that have hundreds of kills and cost the same price hahaha.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 06, 2013, 02:04:25 pm »

Wardogs are just ridiculously broken- slash I don't think AI units can fight them properly. I once released an unit of wardogs into the heart of the enemy formation (towards spearmen, too) and a moment later started wondering why half of the enemy army was missing. At the end of the battle, with some war dogs still alive, I notice they have 645 kills. At that point I just considered getting rid of every other type of unit.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 41