Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 41

Author Topic: Total War: Rome 2 still totally has a trailer now  (Read 65000 times)

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Rome 2 totally has a trailer now
« Reply #300 on: September 04, 2013, 05:44:46 am »

seen enemy cavalry charge trough triarii formation just ignoring them and passing behind to kill leves
5 second later my cav was slaughtered while passing in a mob.

AI is a bit better in battle, at least a bit more dynamic

Is it heavy cav going through triarii and light cav killed by mob? Happened a lot in rome 1, get a phalanx lined up and heavy cav just smashes right through the spear points with fairly few losses. Might be a mass/hitpoints thing as well if it's general's cav going through spears, they should have enough mass and health to barge through (in game).

Also I hope the AI isn't buggy in it's being dynamic. It was far too easy in Rome 1 to literally run circles around an enemy and just keep them in a state of going one side then going to another. Being besieged was even worse AI if you sally forth, they can sometimes just stay at tower range for ages losing many units. It's sad going to the victory scroll and seeing 1200 enemies dead and your men only scoring 300 kills.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 04, 2013, 07:05:43 am »

Anyone who want to try out an versus campain any time soon? It didn't took long for me to grow tired on the AI. (Not bad, just very....meh. Very little strategy is needed to win a battle.)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 04, 2013, 08:06:06 am »

I'd be looking to try the multiplayer after playing a bit more of the campaign. Don't have much evening free-time, so I've just about completed the prologue at this point. Not sure I could commit to the campaign with anyone but the most patient of people, because I'm not availible for long stretches of multiplayer, a few hours most evenings at most.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 04, 2013, 05:34:12 pm »

Initial thoughts: Play on normal, AI is really bad, life's generally quite easy.
Play on hard, literally every single one of your neighbors declares war on you.

Eugh.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 04, 2013, 07:35:29 pm »

Initial thoughts: Play on normal, AI is really bad, life's generally quite easy.
Play on hard, literally every single one of your neighbors declares war on you.

Eugh.

So exactly like the first Rome then?

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 04, 2013, 08:36:18 pm »

Rome 1 Hard mode is pretty much sit tight and exploit stupid battlefield AI so Rome 2 sounds similar with maybe battlefield AI improvements for a harder challenge.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 04, 2013, 09:22:59 pm »

The AI seems to be on par with Shogun 2, or perhaps a bit better. Saying it's better than Rome 1 probably wouldn't be a good comparison, because that's like saying you're better at baseball than a cardboard cutout with a bat taped to it. I remember Rome 1 having the enemy general just throw himself head on into Hoplite formations.

That said, I STILL don't understand why Battle difficulty can't be set seperate from Campaign difficulty until you're launched the campaign. I guess maybe it has to do with the difficulty based achievements? I think that's when Battle Difficulty got taken off the campaign setup screen, when they moved to Steam and Achievements with Empire. But they really could have just had a warning popup say "You can't get X achievemnt because your difficulty settings are out of sync"

Shadow Creator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 04, 2013, 10:51:01 pm »

I am not seeing some of the complaints from the above posts. As for the hard difficulty diplomacy I am in love with it. In Rome 1 I would play on the hardest difficulty and of course it was pointless to even try anything besides spam trade treaties. In this game I can actually, and generally do, make alliances or even client states. I am able to do this with people early and late game. In the first game. Rome 1, I was never able to make one. As for the generals being "arrow immune" I BEG TO DIFFER. There have already been a couple times, actually the first few hours after launch, where my general is safe behind my lines but the enemy range will shoot at my general while our lines are fighting (Edit: Haha the first time actually my general was in a hoplite group in hoplite formation which should of all things be awesome against arrows!). Each time the first few casualties end up being my general which is incredibly frustrating but fun (or !!fun!!).

Some interesting things I see with the AI are civilizations content to sit at their one town for the first fifty or more turns and then suddenly go on a rampage taking five of their neighbors on before settling down to nothing again. Your allies actually do what you ask and are always trying to help with armies (again playing on hard) which is amazing coming from Rome 1. Of course having anyone within a certain radius, as opposed to requiring people be literally standing next to you, be drawn into the fight is awesome. Many times I have gotten help by initiating fights somewhat near passing friends.

My complaint, or learning curve, having come from Medieval 2 and Rome 1 is the building system and the province nonsense which was mentioned earlier. I guess it will take getting used to.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:54:10 pm by Shadow Creator »
☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - V.3 -
 - A comprehensive mod pack with 25% higher FPS -
Download @ DFFD ::: WIN ::: MAC ::: LINUX

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 05, 2013, 12:55:39 am »

My experience so far has been "hard" = normal.

"Very hard" = challenging.

I breezed through hard without any problems whatsoever; but on very hard, things took quite a different turn. I don't get the whole "everyone hates me thing" but then again I have a really powerful military (but extremely crappy economy).

As for that arrow and immunity stuff. Maybe people are getting confused between arrows, slings, and javelins. They all do massively different kinds of damage. Slings for example do almost nothing against armoured troops whereas javelins can easily punch through shields. Archers are quite rare.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 05, 2013, 08:04:12 am »

is there a way to quicken the time it takes to pass the turn? atm it takes a almost a full minute -_-

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 05, 2013, 08:09:48 am »

better computer?

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 05, 2013, 08:44:53 am »

Skirmishing javelin infantry are probably my favorite unit right now. Stick a few in front of your melee line and let the enemy come at them. They usually win against any other kind of missile troops and even do decent damage to the heavy foot soldiers before retreating behind your main force. In a pinch they can also support the melee by taking a flank or a rear. In comparison the archers are pretty useless, unless you are defending a fort or something.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 05, 2013, 09:52:49 am »

Skirmishing javelin infantry are probably my favorite unit right now. Stick a few in front of your melee line and let the enemy come at them. They usually win against any other kind of missile troops and even do decent damage to the heavy foot soldiers before retreating behind your main force. In a pinch they can also support the melee by taking a flank or a rear. In comparison the archers are pretty useless, unless you are defending a fort or something.

Unless your enemy have war dogs or horses, in which case your skirmishers are fucked.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Shadow Creator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 05, 2013, 10:20:03 am »

Having been playing near to or fighting towards the east I have come to loathe slingers. Many armies have 8-10 slingers with a few melee. In the first game you could laugh and walk right through them but I have had heavy armored troops and cavalry try to take them on or flank from a hiding spot to just get instantly torn down from the one or two volleys before a charge hits. Then I found Royal Scythia and made it a client state and had fun watching them come to aid me with two generals with max armies of ONLY horse archers... glad I made them my client or the name of the eastern equivalent.

I've had heavy cavalry demolish other heavy cavalry, spearmen from the flank, and axe troops with no casualties but trying to charge the small gap into ranged units causes half losses sometimes. It feels like ranged got a huge buff but still learning.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:36:41 am by Shadow Creator »
☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - V.3 -
 - A comprehensive mod pack with 25% higher FPS -
Download @ DFFD ::: WIN ::: MAC ::: LINUX

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 05, 2013, 10:41:32 am »

What kind of slingers are those, just curious. So I can avoid them if I see them.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 41