Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 41

Author Topic: Total War: Rome 2 still totally has a trailer now  (Read 64999 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Rome 2 totally has a trailer now
« Reply #255 on: September 02, 2013, 04:49:26 pm »

I can see what you mean about them being hard to distinguish, though I imagine they'll be easy to get used to after a while. This is the Dwarf Fortress forums after all, unfriendly UIs are our speciality :P

Also, how were the sieges in Medieval buggy? It's been a loooong time since I played. And if you think Empires sieges were bad, sometimes on Napoleon the castle would be floating an inch off the ground, so if your soldiers took the ramps down off the walls, they would fall off, drop an inch and instantly die.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 02, 2013, 05:24:15 pm »

Sieges in Medieval were awesome. Especially in Stainless Steel where there were hundreds of different kinds of castles.

Waging war on the massive Ibreian citidels were just an awesome experience and you could feel why the design was meant to fatigue and destroy your men before they even reached their prize. All the tightly packed corridors, winding alleyways, massive towering and unreachable walls. Archers raining unassailable fire down upon your troops as you desperately try to maneuver a battering ram to the second walls. Men stuck in unwinnable trench wars while you try and get around them or hasten the siege.

Shogun 2 had none of that. Most because Japanese castles weren't designed like that but still. It's part of what makes sieges so awesome.

I really like that Rome 2 is bringing these proper sieges back. And now you can attack from sea AND land!

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 02, 2013, 05:28:15 pm »

I haven't looked into it for fear of overhyping myself, but how are the sieges in Rome 2? Like, will you be toppling walls with siege machines? Or patiently flinging torches at gates/climbing walls like Shogun?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 02, 2013, 05:40:44 pm »

No shogun was a freaking joke...they are taking it back to the good stuff using actual siege equipment and none of that everyone-climbs-walls BS

Shogun2 was a failure if you as me

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 02, 2013, 06:10:27 pm »

I haven't looked into it for fear of overhyping myself, but how are the sieges in Rome 2? Like, will you be toppling walls with siege machines? Or patiently flinging torches at gates/climbing walls like Shogun?
It's like the old days with mangonels and siege towers and battering rams.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 02, 2013, 06:42:36 pm »

Except also beach landings and port invasions, can even break down walls with siege weapons on ships I believe.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 03, 2013, 01:14:54 am »

I really like that Rome 2 is bringing these proper sieges back. And now you can attack from sea AND land!

I'm still on [citation needed] mode on this one, I only saw it happening on scripted trailers, not in the main campaign.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 01:20:42 am by LoSboccacc »

Shadow Creator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 03, 2013, 01:18:53 am »

http://www.pcgamer.com/review/total-war-rome-2-review/

"For the first time in the series, land and sea battles can take place on the same map. Boats that survive the sea battle can run ashore and deploy troops directly into the land fight in scenes that would be extraordinary if the troops didn’t sometimes fail to disembark, or simply stand still on the beach unmoving forever."

The issue being with AI controlled ships trying to land on the coast not player controlled.

Edit: Basically in this game anytime armies meet any allies/enemies or extra troops within a certain distance are all pulled into the battle.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 01:20:26 am by Shadow Creator »
☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - V.3 -
 - A comprehensive mod pack with 25% higher FPS -
Download @ DFFD ::: WIN ::: MAC ::: LINUX

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 03, 2013, 01:22:02 am »

ok thanks, didn't get to read all reviews.

now, I am worried about this
troops cannot move at all unless they have a general, and the number of generals you can have is limited by the size of your empire

I'm never happy, I know...

Shadow Creator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 03, 2013, 01:25:39 am »

Personally I am excited about the general leading armies bit as the first Rome had the AI sending tons of one stack armies around the map instead of the large groups that would be threatening. Not to mention getting constant sieges and or random stacks standing on various resources. We shall see how this actually turns out in about 30 minutes though!

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 03, 2013, 01:28:05 am »

Yeah Ill say I really wasn't a fan of the late game roving deathstacks, where every turn had 5 or 6 fullsize 20v20 battles. A limiting mechanic actually sounds like a decent idea in hindsight. That said if Generals are generated as quickly as in Rome and M2, it won't make a lick of difference. I remember never having enough cities to store all the extra fuckers.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 01:29:36 am by Silent_Thunder »

Shadow Creator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 03, 2013, 01:34:20 am »

The large max army fights were the fun part of the first one. It was having to lead your giant army through 15 one unit armies in your territories that was obnoxious. God forbid if you auto resolve as they will just move a few inches away and still be blocking a resource or trade route (Unless they were rebels). Half the time I made cavalry armies just for running around cleaning up these annoyances in real time battles.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 01:36:38 am by Shadow Creator »

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 03, 2013, 01:45:23 am »

Eh, in RTW 1 I send city garrisons after the tiny armies if it's safe and use the large ones to deal with big jobs (unless the large army happens to catch small detatchments on its invasion path). I enjoy the battles though – that's the whole point – if I didn't play the battles I think I'd rather play Civ.

It certainly does get cumbersome towards the endgame though.

Interested to see how this one turns out! (I will not be able to get Rome 2 for some time)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 03, 2013, 01:57:48 am »

Done. See you in Rome guys.

My brothers.

My fellow Romans.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 41