Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 41

Author Topic: Total War: Rome 2 still totally has a trailer now  (Read 62708 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Rome 2 totally has a trailer now
« Reply #180 on: August 13, 2013, 08:24:53 pm »

But that's what I'm saying mate. The simulation in game just represents the cost of buying the towers as equivalent to the cost of making the walls wide enough to put your siege engines on them.

Instead of spending a cheap amount of gold to build this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You spent a bit more gold to expand it to this:

That's what building "towers" in Total War games essentially translates to. Just think of it as the additional cost of buying the infrastructure you need to put your siege units on the walls. Unless you think you can magically transport catapults onto a regular castle wall without making extensive modifications. Even the Eurialo Castle of Syracuse, one of the most defensive positions of the ancient world, had to be extensively modified numerous times by several different civilizations before it was capable of such a feat. Again, when you buy "towers" and "walls" in Total War, that's kinda what you're doing.

You can't technically hoist up the existing engines you built into your defensive structures within the games, but the net result of what you want is already modelled. Just not in the way you specifically want.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 14, 2013, 05:28:56 am »

I'm always annoyed they just won't make actual Amazon faction in Rome 2. IN ANYTHING

FTFY. Mods of certain paradox games excluded; there's been absolutely zero effort at giving South American natives a fair shake. It's almost to the point where I think developers exclude it on purpose..

What with EU IV having been released, if you convert a Crusader Kings 2 save that has the Sunset Invasion DLC, both the Aztecs and Incas will wreck your shit from here to forever, all the time, always.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 14, 2013, 05:44:05 am »

Yes I know, however it's not always possible to upgrade your walls whether its a time factor or cost or your city not being large enough etc....

If they want to make the Total War games accurate then the walkways on the walls will be much thinner and only allow 2-3 ranks of units rather then 5-6 as they did. If you have walls which seem big enough for 2 lanes of cars to drive along then you would expect to be able to put siege weapons on the walls or at least on the turrets. If you have walls which look like they are 4 metres thick then I expect to be able to mount siege weapons on them, if they are 1 metre thick then I wouldn't expect to be able to mount siege weapons on them.

That wall is more then thick enough to have siege weapons rolling along them.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 14, 2013, 08:27:10 am »

The thing is CA is more concerned with what "usually" happened. They don't build TW to take advantage of the rare quirks throughout history. If people had regularly hauled siege weapons on the walls, they'd probably let you do it. But it didn't really happen, unless they built specific things on the walls to house them and just left them there.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 14, 2013, 09:19:24 am »

The thing is CA is more concerned with what "usually" happened. They don't build TW to take advantage of the rare quirks throughout history. If people had regularly hauled siege weapons on the walls, they'd probably let you do it. But it didn't really happen, unless they built specific things on the walls to house them and just left them there.

They don't "usually" have walls wide enough for 5 ranks of soldiers to stand on easily either yet they have them in the game, and then on the other types of walls, the wooden palisade walls would have walkways, and you can have ladders for attacking stone walls but you can't have ladders to get over a little wooden wall? The battering ram is easily the worse siege weapon in the game but it's the only thing you can use to attack places with wooden palisades instead of having ladders? Siege Tower though is probably excessive for a little wooden palisade :P

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 20, 2013, 10:44:06 pm »

Whelp.

I don't think that's a permanent emplacement. They get deployed before the battle if you've got them in your army, according to the Steam page.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2013, 12:11:07 am »

Steam page?

I would be a bit cautious about that statement. Especially considering that screenshot features more than a few telling signs that that's a scripted battle.

1. Walls itself are literally labelled "indestructible".
2. Infobox on the top right basically details a scripted battle.
3. The unit selection box on the bottom has two different tabs, one for normal units and one for siege units. Not to mention there are no buttons to undeploy it.
4. That commander's nose on the bottom left is too big. You can't trust guys with big noses. Also he hasn't killed a single thing even though he's supposed to have deadly accuracy. What a tosser.

But who knows. Here's to hoping. Would be nice if it were implemented.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2013, 12:37:15 am »

You can't trust guys with big noses.

u wot m8
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2013, 01:39:47 am »

Oh, well, that wasn't helpful of me. It's actually on The Greek States Pack page, specifically when it mentions : "Polybolos Repeating Scorpion – [Siege Deployable available to all Greek, Roman and Carthaginian factions].

Now, this is just a deduction, but since the siege weapon in the screenshot has wheels, I'm assuming that it's usable on the offense, too, but I can't see a logical way of getting it up there during the battle, which makes me think that it's possible to deploy it on the walls pre-battle when you end up defending whilst it's in your army. Specifically, this screenshot is of the tutorial, which means it's probably possible to do this in the regular game, and either the walls are indestructible because parts of walls always have been in Total War (excluding Shogun) and he just moused over one of those parts or it's set to indestructible for the purposes of the tutorial.

So yes, I think it's entirely possible that if you have a siege weapon in your army, you'll be able to deploy it on walls before the battle. I didn't notice the unit tab switching though, which could either be a quick way of accessing artillery during a siege or the death of my argument.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 21, 2013, 07:17:33 pm »

Doors are too thin for siege weapons, and there isn't any cranes.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 21, 2013, 09:30:00 pm »

I would assume it's taken up in pieces and assembled up there. It's deployed before the battle, so you can abstract a way a lot of stuff.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2013, 10:02:24 pm »

According to wikipedia, the crane was invented in the 6th century BC in Greece, so I think it's safe to say they could have used cranes if they needed to.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 22, 2013, 12:24:26 am »

According to wikipedia, the crane was invented in the 6th century BC in Greece, so I think it's safe to say they could have used cranes if they needed to.

Indeed. How do we think they erected statues and things like the Colossus of Rhodes? :P

I'll guess that the artillery is fixed on the walls and comes with a wall upgrade. If they were free moving there would be many potential problems with pathing, other units pathing around them and other small things. Like can they see over the crenulations. ::)
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 22, 2013, 05:38:35 am »

Don't even need crane, could just use pulleys, still this makes me happy and has increased my likelihood of buying the game to 99% now
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 41