Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41

Author Topic: Total War: Rome 2 still totally has a trailer now  (Read 64907 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Rome 2 still totally has a trailer now
« Reply #570 on: September 25, 2014, 10:04:23 am »

So according to the EGX website the creative assembly session happens at 16:00... which is now.  More info will probably be up in about an hour.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: September 25, 2014, 10:27:09 am »

Already announced. Total War: Atilla

Edit: Advanced street fighting? Civilians? Fire Simulation? I watch with interest.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 10:38:07 am by timferius »

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: September 25, 2014, 10:59:43 am »

Though I've liked the game from release, I have to admit the version of today is much, much better than that. Even basic and very useful things such as legionaries automatically throwing their javelins when charged (previously only when attacking) and the withdraw button seem to have been added only now. Loose/tight spacing also only came in a while back.

I don't mind so much - better late than never, and I'm happy CA has kept adding and improving the game for this long (and giving me free DLC, oy), but... yeah, why wasn't all this stuff in at release?

CA fell into the trap of "release immediately, we can patch it later", which is incredibly frustrating but (sadly) not that unique.

That said, Rome 2 has shaped up to be my favorite Total War game, which is really surprising to me given that Shogun 2 was my most disliked TW game. After Shogun 2 and the Rome 2 release, I honestly thought CA was in its death-throes, but I'm actually fairly excited for Attila now.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: September 25, 2014, 11:44:46 am »

I'm not. I have no faith at all in the current iteration of CA to produce anything near the quality of Barbarian Invasion's expansion. I wish the base engine wasn't such a hackjob of terrible ideas, then I might have some excitement for BI2. Unless they completely overhaul diplomacy, AI decision making, campaign map stupidity.. Then it will be equally as tedious as RTW2. Just with hordes.. Well, hordes are already in.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 25, 2014, 01:33:10 pm »

To be fair, BI was IMO basically the best expansion pack ever.  It released both a new style of gameplay (the hordes), and an entirely new game map, vastly increased the scale of the armies involved, and changed the overall tone of the game to be darker.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: September 25, 2014, 02:35:15 pm »

Are the game screenshots supposed to look like they were taken from Civilization V, or is it just me?
._.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: October 15, 2014, 05:11:39 pm »

Are the game screenshots supposed to look like they were taken from Civilization V, or is it just me?

Yeah, Rome 2 looks like a Civ 5 clone on the campaign map. In fact, when I first saw it I thought I started up Civ 5...and I greatly disliked Civ 5...personally liked Medieval 2 and the older maps way better. It felt more like a real map, not a fantasy looking map.

In any case...I keep trying Rome Total War 1 with EB, and Roma Surrectum and what not...tried to play M2TW with EB2 (the best one and only one worth playing to me, the other submods suck so bad for map detail. EB2 adds a TON of detail to the map. There is the other one alongside EB2 that adds a lot of detail, but its pre-alpha and unplayable for me till its closer to being fully released) and tried some other submods and I still go back to Rome 2 more often than not. Guess I ended up liking it more in the end. Once EB2 and that other one for M2TW are fully finished, maybe I'd play those more...but I find R2TW with mods the best to choose from...for me that is...

Oh...and finally got Radious+DEI+ToonTotalWar to work together :D I use ToonTotalWar as the biggest one (adds over 100 mods), had to remove all the DB entries for DEI (so a lot less DEI in my game) but all the DEI submods I got, work great so while a lot of DEI itself was removed, the submods take its place anyway). And Radious I had to make a few small entry removals in his campaign submod to get that to work.

So in the end, I get TTW huge gameplay variety. DEI (mostly from the submods) gameplay challenge, along with Radious who further adds unique and challenging gameplay.

And all work very well together :D It is a lot of fun actually. Very challenging like in DEI, but so much more variety and what not :) Actually harder than just DEI+submods by themselves. And lots more units to choose from too.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: October 16, 2014, 04:29:33 am »

The thing keeps me most from playing the awesome M:TW2 mods anymore is the manual retraining. Recovering manpower to your units without needing to walk them back home, then manually retrain every individual unit is just so much nicer. That kind of micro is not missed at all.

I wish the provincial towns could be uprgraded to be fortified though, at the expense of a building slot or losing all income.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: October 16, 2014, 04:41:30 am »

The thing keeps me most from playing the awesome M:TW2 mods anymore is the manual retraining. Recovering manpower to your units without needing to walk them back home, then manually retrain every individual unit is just so much nicer. That kind of micro is not missed at all.

I wish the provincial towns could be uprgraded to be fortified though, at the expense of a building slot or losing all income.
You should have done like the historical Rome did and just recruit a completely new army every time the old one dies.
._.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: October 16, 2014, 05:28:47 am »

Well, you can't recruit a worthwhile army in just conquered provinces. Especially so with mods like EBII or Stainless Steel where recruiting is often regional and/or tied to culture etc.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: October 16, 2014, 09:36:44 am »

I agree.

I've never managed to finish a long campaign in M:TW2 (despite playing 100+ hours) because I always got sick of that and just quit halfway through.

it's really too bad because in a lot of ways I like the game better then shogun 2 (though shogun 2 was pretty good too imo) but I just can't play it anymore and manual retraining is 90% of the reason why.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: October 16, 2014, 05:50:20 pm »

I have the opposite impression actually, my friend told me about automatic retraining and it made me not want to buy the game.  What's the point of pitched battles if armies just magically regenerate casualties?

Granted I've never finished a long campaign in any TW, but its not because of that, its more the sheer time investment and also the fact that at a certain point its pretty obvious you're going to win.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: October 16, 2014, 06:32:13 pm »

I dunno. But on very hard, normal battles...with radious+dei/submods+toontotalwar..

But as Seleucids, allied with Egypt..
Even with multiple allies and egypt herself its hard as hell.

Harder than any Rome 1 or m2tw with mods I ever played.

With submods+VH campaign, it is a massive challenge. Seleucids have tough units, but getting swarmed. Hope I can make it.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: October 18, 2014, 09:44:05 pm »

I have the opposite impression actually, my friend told me about automatic retraining and it made me not want to buy the game.  What's the point of pitched battles if armies just magically regenerate casualties?

Granted I've never finished a long campaign in any TW, but its not because of that, its more the sheer time investment and also the fact that at a certain point its pretty obvious you're going to win.

Having your troops automatically replenish while encamped in your territory or having to press a button to replenish troops are equally inequivalent to actually replenishing troops in real life.  It's one bit of micromanagement I don't miss.

I can't seem to get into the game enough to do anything.  I play a few turns as one faction or another and get bored and quit.  Any suggestions for a fun one that isn't too easy or too hard?  I'm feeling barbarians.
Shoes...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: October 18, 2014, 10:05:59 pm »

The idea is you can choose whether to pay for replenishing them or not, but you do ultimately have to pay if you want more guys in your army.

So if you lose half a unit, you lost ~50% of that unit's value.  With auto-replenishment if you lose 80% of a unit, you lost 0% of its value as long as the army survives, even if its utterly broken.  I guess all those heavy roman infantry carried their shields out, and their buddies' shields, so you don't have to pay to make more.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41