Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Workshops and CLT tags  (Read 2826 times)

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
Workshops and CLT tags
« on: July 02, 2012, 06:13:36 am »

'allo.

My smelter (well, two of them now) has a little <CLT> tag after where it says smelter on the Query menu.
What does this mean?
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

D.L.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Workshops and CLT tags
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 06:15:25 am »

It means the workshop is cluttered. Press 't' and then use the cursor to highlight the workshop. You'll probably see a huge list of items in the workshop (likely bars of metal). You need to set up a stockpile somewhere to store those items.

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 06:20:25 am »

Oooh. Merci beaucoup.

Just when I thought I was getting a handle on everything.
I guess constantly churning out all those bars of coke wasn't such a good idea at that. At least making bins for it all will give me something to do with several forests' worth of logs I have knocking around on the surface.

I am very much an adovcate of the 'leave it where it is' school of storage, and since my smelters and metalworkers are right next to one another (4 smelters and two forges) I never bothered making the bar storage areas very big. Time to enlarge them then.

D.L.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 06:25:55 am »

You don't technically have to store those items, but dwarves in cluttered workshops complete jobs more slowly. There are different levels of cluttered-ness, indicated by asterisks and capitals and such.

If your metalworkers can keep up with production, by all means, don't create large stockpiles.

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 06:37:29 am »

If I ever have a pressing need for, like, gold bars or something, it'd be nice to have them ready as soon as dorfenly possible.
I think I shall check all my workshops for clutter. Probably it is about time I enlarged my storage areas anyway.

1. If it's broke, fix it.
2. If it ain't broke, leave it alone until it is broke.
3. GOTO 1

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 07:35:02 am »

If you actually managed to get your smelter cluttered, you've got to have over 75 bars in there...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 07:48:57 am »

If you actually managed to get your smelter cluttered, you've got to have over 75 bars in there...

Not that hard now that 1 ore = 4 bars.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 07:53:09 am »

Not that hard now that 1 ore = 4 bars.

and he was making coke, so bitumous coal or lignite, 9 or 12, right?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 05:06:10 am »

I have about 700 bars of coke in quantum storage, as of last night.

I didn't go straight for the boiling cherry koolaid, you see.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 11:07:01 am »

Coal clutters smelters quite fast, but the slowdown really isn't a problem... if anything, it keeps things under control, preventing massive numbers of bars being created when there isn't any demand, pointlessly murdering FPS. I remember having forts that would have thousands of various valuable bars, just from carelessness, which brought the game to a crawl. Bars are one of the items that I wouldn't recommend using stockpiles for, as that clutter is actually quite useful at balancing the fort's demand for the metal. It clears up when large jobs go through, increasing efficiency, but then stabilizes later without any micro on the part of the player.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 12:42:02 pm »

If you deconstruct and rebuild the workshop, the items will get scattered everywhere and the workshop will no longer be cluttered (very helpful when butchering large creatures/forgotten beasts).
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 12:42:23 pm »

'allo.

My smelter (well, two of them now) has a little <CLT> tag after where it says smelter on the Query menu.
What does this mean?

from the WIKI (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/CLT)

Workshops will get cluttered when they become full of goods that are not hauled away to stockpiles. A workshop that is cluttered will display (CLT) when viewed via the q or t menus. t, "View Items in Buildings," will show you what items are cluttering the workshop.

Dwarves working in cluttered workshops will work more slowly: even the lowest level of clutter (CLT) doubles the time a workshop task takes. Each successive level of clutter increases the multiplier by one, so tasks performed in a completely cluttered workshop will take ten times as long.

please see the link for the effect the clutter has on a workshop

From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.