Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: interesting issue  (Read 1008 times)

phillosopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
interesting issue
« on: July 02, 2012, 04:16:37 am »

okay so I am a total newb both in truth and in the way I use and play the game, in other words I just started playing and I use the newb pack. I have a game in which I started and got not so far in, where I got to starting the bedrooms and office and had to save. When I relaunched the game the first thing that occurred was that the stupid dorfs started storing things on the office thrown! I have hard closed the game and reloaded only to experience the same thing. Is there anything I could do to try and save the office from the dorfs? Is this a known issue of some sort? Thanks in advance!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: interesting issue
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 04:31:45 am »

are you sure they're not just sitting down for dinner? If they eat a plump helmet, they'll just drop any seeds left over on the ground. It may look like on the throne, but they'll come and collect them if you have a storage place for the seeds.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

phillosopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 04:44:32 am »

would my general stockpile work if plant and animal parts are included in it?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 05:00:56 am »

No, seeds are their own separate category of item.  Your general stockpile would work if it includes seeds, and has room.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 05:09:13 am »

If you mean a "general stockpile" in the sense that it accepts everything... I wouldn't do that, because it's going to be filled with whatever item is "next in queue to be stockpiled", give or take, and the seeds left on the office throne might not get a look-in.

In particular, though, a default "food"(-only) stockpile includes seeds.  If you have one that is full, then that at least means you have a lot of food (although having spare space is better, IMO, because then nothing that potentially rots is ever going to be sat around.

What I tend to do is, instead of (say) a 10x10-sized single food stockpile, I set up a few 1x10 adjacent strips of food stockpile that have everything but one of the subcategories (meat, drink, or indeed seeds) disabled.  If all tiles of a strip are filled I might arrange for another strip to be created and given over to that product.  If a strip is empty, then I might know (assuming I know whether I created an 'overflow' or two, and whether that is/those are also empty) something is 'out of stock'[1].

But do you know, perchance, that if you have any spare bags, seeds will be stacked in them?  And seed bags can be stacked within barrels?  That would mean that (unless you have a very prolific farming and seed-retaining plant processing industry) you shouldn't need that much space to store the seeds.

Assuming, of course, that the Dwarves aren't just too busy doing other things to store the seeds away into the available space.  If you have a dedicated hauler, at all, try deselecting all hauling but "food" from his job-list, and at least he (or she) will help to get the office clear of clutter.

Not that this clutter really matters.  I don't believe an office's functions deteriorate with stuff lying around (like a workshop's does, with finished products sitting in it, unhauled...).  If I understand your original situation, that is.  (Feel free to clarify.)  But I don't believe it's an 'issue', except in an aesthetic/organisational sense.

(If you feel you have enough spare digging-power to momentarily divert away from the bedroom-digging that I take it you're still at, or else can temporarily appropriate an existing bedroom to the cause, how about getting at least one more table and chair/throne and setting up a dining room?  It will probably draw (new) clutter of the kind you describe into that, leaving the office to only be cluttered by the dwarves who find the dining room fully occupied (by however many dwarves can find a chair+table pairing in there).  I might, myself, set up two or three strips of stockpile in there, one for processed food[2], one for booze and perhaps a third for seeds for easier clearance of the result of plump-helmet eating away from the tables, though this latter really doesn't matter as much.  You might want to disable each option from the 'more general' food stockpiles, excepting any surrounding the kitchen (to take the prepared food straight from being made), the brewery (ditto for booze) and around fields and farmers workshops (for seeds needed for/taken from those areas).

Something like that.  Haven't got the game in front of me, and as I now work some of this sort of thing on a kind of mental autopilot, I may have misdescribed something. ;)

[May have been ninjaed...  Not sure if Weenog means what I think he means, though.  Above caveat still applies, regardless.]

[1] Without having to go to the Z-Stocks screen (or just check the figures in the lower left hand corner of the Z screen itself, for some general categories.

[2] Every sub-section of food disabled, but the processed/cooked/whatever-food option left on.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 07:55:49 am »

On my first few fortresses I used to seperate all my food and ingredients and seeds and food meticulously until I realized it's a waste of time. Here's my advice:

*Make one custom stockpile (2-4) squares that accepts seeds ONLY very close to your farm plots.
*Make a custom stockpile near your brewery that accepts plants ONLY. You can put querns/plant processing workshops nearby later without having to worry about changing this stockpile.
*Make a custom stockpile that accepts ALL food EXCEPT seeds and plants and drinks and prepared food and use this around your kitchen.
*For your eating areas, make a large stockpile that ONLY accepts prepared meals and accepts NO BARRELS
*Finally make another stockpile for your eating areas that accepts ONLY drinks.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 08:17:34 am »

On my first few fortresses I used to seperate all my food and ingredients and seeds and food meticulously until I realized it's a waste of time. Here's my advice:

*Make one custom stockpile (2-4) squares that accepts seeds ONLY very close to your farm plots.
*Make a custom stockpile near your brewery that accepts plants ONLY. You can put querns/plant processing workshops nearby later without having to worry about changing this stockpile.
*Make a custom stockpile that accepts ALL food EXCEPT seeds and plants and drinks and prepared food and use this around your kitchen.
*For your eating areas, make a large stockpile that ONLY accepts prepared meals and accepts NO BARRELS
*Finally make another stockpile for your eating areas that accepts ONLY drinks.

I usually follow the above, more or less. Except I usually have a small prepared food stockpile near my kitchen (and a similar one near the still) that are set to give to the bigger ones in the dining room. Not absolutely necessary of course, if you disable food hauling for your brewer and cook, or the distance to the dining room is small. For farms, my usual layout is:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 08:21:14 am »

If you're going to make a "general stockpile", never enable Refuse storage in it - if you do, everything in the stockpile will quickly rot away into nothingness.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 08:29:09 am »

If you're going to make a "general stockpile", never enable Refuse storage in it - if you do, everything in the stockpile will quickly rot away into nothingness.

Well not everything, but at least all cloth items, or maybe it was only clothes... what else? Stuff crafted from wood?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 08:51:07 am »

[snip]
This is actually close to what I have in a mature fort, but the aforementioned "strips of different things, thing" is something I find useful in the early stages which would be close to the stage that the OP seems to be in.  As different demands are met and relieved, it changes and matures to become a general gauge for the levels of all kinds of products, not just food (yes, disabling barrels/bins helps to keep the score 'honest'), as well as a handy central intermediate re-collection point for the recently unforbidden items from the nearby Quantum Stockpile/dump, that has just been used (together with area/item-wide dumping designations) to bring a whole hoard of items in from the outside, or up from the deepest depths, or out of the tunnels I'm about to fill with magma...

With minecart-enabled stock moving, there's going to be some differences to the plan made, in the near future (once enough experimentation has shown me in what manner the fine-tuning should be made), but again I'm assuming the OP isn't operating a minecarti-using fort, just yet.

phillosopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 09:27:19 am »

Thanks to all for the advice most of it I know already just hadn't got my kitchen/still/foodstorage/dinning hall done yet so all the food and stuff was still going to my general stock pile that I first built. I'm following the wiki on my first game (which this is really, dorked around a bit at first and got lost so many times that I decided to run that tutorial first) and just hadn't got to the kitchen and that stuff. My workshops already have their stuff done and stockpiles up and operating. Thanks again for all the advice and yes it is a spawn!

EDIT: is there anyplace that I can find what all the markers and stuff mean without having to try to remember them, I use the Phoebus 34.11 v00 and I am wondering waht the hell the flashing ? mark is. I mean I get the Z the downward arrow etc because they were tell you upon hover but some won't like the ?.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 09:38:19 am by phillosopher »

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 10:05:34 am »

I believe you get the "?" on a dwarf whenever he is thinking about which job to take next.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 10:21:56 am »

I may be mistaken, but in vanilla, blue ? was looking for a job, red ? means a job cancelation coming up. I could be totally wrong though.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 11:50:06 am »

I use Phoebus too, I've just assumed the ? is no job (so looking for one), haven't really paid attention to the color. ! is strange mood, with different colors for different types, or maybe stages, of the mood, can't remember.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 11:53:41 am »

I use Phoebus too, I've just assumed the ? is no job (so looking for one), haven't really paid attention to the color. ! is strange mood, with different colors for different types, or maybe stages, of the mood, can't remember.

different type.

purplish is a possesion, don't remember the others, one is white/grey, but since those two are pretty much the same to me I didn't bother to remember
Pages: [1] 2