Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Impossible Demands  (Read 7321 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Impossible Demands
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 10:31:14 am »

My current baron wants a "clear glass slab in the dining room". He'll just have to go without, but his awesome room keeps his happiness at ecstatic.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 10:51:59 am »

Whenever a noble makes an impossible man I wait till they fall asleep and have a poisonous snake left in their room to cheer them up when they realize they aren't getting what they want.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 11:03:46 am »

I currently have a goblin king who would like a door in his room.  Just a door.

Unfortunately, being a goblin, he's listed as a tame animal and therefore unassignable to a room.  Fortunately, being a tame animal, he's very content all the time, despite not having a room.  Or a door.

I like to think that he's just so happy to be a dwarf king that he doesn't really care whether he gets a room with a door or not.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 11:14:07 am »

Why would you want a bed in the dining room?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 11:16:05 am »

Itis.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 11:17:20 am »

I want to get up, eat my food, drink my booze. But the walk back to my bedroom is just... so long......
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 02:25:24 am »

Both my duchess and my mayor want metal beds in their rooms. What is is with this noble yearning for things that only a moody dwarf could ever create?

Is this behavior considered a bug and will be eliminated eventually? Or is it intended crankiness that we have to deal with? ^^

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 06:41:32 am »

It happens sometimes, though I'd heard that behaviour had been eliminated.  Out of curiosity, which version are you playing?
Material MANDATES were disabled, demands are the same as ever.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 08:53:16 am »

And here I was hoping I'd get to peddle my spoilerstone pseudoscience...ah well.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 09:56:28 am »

If I can help it, the Expedition Leader, who often becomes mayor after a while, is often chosen (forced to be so, by the appropriate spatter of social-skill spamming) for having an uncomplicated choice of metal (often the easy-to-obtain copper[2] and rarely an alloy of any kind), rock-types that are as generally available as possible, and it's a plus-point if they have a preference for any actual item that I would want to be making anyway.  (Bags, certain weapons, chairs, tables...)
You're doing it the wrong way round. :P Mandates are item-based only now, to prevent mandates that are flat-out impossible to fulfill even on a map with everything. One of my dwarves likes snail tooth. Yeah, good luck with that one.

(It's the same for any vermin which has body parts made of a material you can make items out of, but snail tooth is exceptionally ridiculous.)
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 10:19:39 am »

Now they are, perhaps[1], but old habits die hard...  And the general philosophy works for me anyway.  I also don't mind if an item-mad noble demands items that I have no actual use for...  It might actually remind me that I can grind wheat by hand, or something. ;)

[1] I keep seeing mention that it's maybe not as clear-cut...  Staying on the safe side as I am, I'm not noticing any problems, since a particular (40d era?) bismuth-bronze fetishist put me off such awkward dwarves...  Needless to say, I've completely avoided Spoilermetal-lovers, and later on the buggy connoisseurs of Slade, whether by good luck or good judgement.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 01:12:51 pm »

It happens sometimes, though I'd heard that behaviour had been eliminated.  Out of curiosity, which version are you playing?
Material MANDATES were disabled, demands are the same as ever.
Agreed. Make sure that you notice the difference between a MANDATE (which results in the punishment of random dwarves if you fail to fulfill it) and a DEMAND (which only results in a few unhappy thoughts for the noble and is eventually forgotten). Mandates will pick either an object type (such as beds or shields) or a material type (such as billion goods). Demands will pick both.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 06:23:14 pm »

I keep seeing mention that it's maybe not as clear-cut...
Where have you seen this?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 10:55:32 pm »

My armour smith was up to master then he had a mood and made himself legendary... waste of my time really

One would think so, and a bit of experience was wasted, but your smith did reach the secret Legendary +5 mode.  Seriously:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Experience

As for myself, my mandates were always fairly tame, or ignored.  I was cheap and avoided the justice system in most forts.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 06:31:22 am »

Fortunately this guy just wants spears... The only reason I've got a legendary weaponsmith

Should have hired a guy who wants chain leggings.

There's a feature that melting Chain Leggings gives you 150% bars.

Then you could make a Steel Fortress and have the mayor be ecstatic.

What kind of dwarf wouldn't be ecstatic to be in charge of a giant fortress made of steel?
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3