Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Impossible Demands  (Read 7323 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Impossible Demands
« on: July 02, 2012, 03:27:11 am »

For the first time, after making a billion mandates, one of my snobbish nobles has made a demand...
He wants a trifle pewter bed in the dining room. As far as I can tell, it is not even possible to make a bed out of trifle pewter (perhaps from a mood?). That and I don't have tin :p

I think I should apologise to him in advance, because he isn't getting his demand. No, I have not modified any of the dwarf fortress files
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Impossible Demands
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 03:34:06 am »

It happens sometimes, though I'd heard that behaviour had been eliminated.  Out of curiosity, which version are you playing?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 03:42:16 am »

Playing 34.11
Has there been an update? I'm just glad that he isn't going to start punishing dwarves for not getting what he can't have
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 03:55:09 am »

AFAIK .34.11 is the most recent version.

You could always punish him ahead of time, just to make sure.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 04:34:51 am »

Magma is the only solution right now. Of course you could wait for a metalsmith mood, forbid everything but trifle pewter bars and hope for the best, but that's more than improbable. In other words: If you have a justice system, preventive measures of your choice are in order. Now.

If you don't have a rabid captain of the guard or a hammerer, just ignore him. He'll have a bad thought, but unless he already is in a bad mood, there should be no ill effects. I always like to imagine a nobledwarf running around the fortress and punching random people while shouting "Trifle pewter bed!!!!", though.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 04:39:35 am »

According to the wiki there will be no punishment for not having a demand met, just an unhappy thought... but he's got enough happy thoughts (Platinum bar roads, gold bridges, lots of chains from his mandates)

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 04:43:51 am »

Oh, that's right of course. The "item in room" things are always demands which only cause negative thoughts, not punishment. I though of mandates when I wrote my first reply and these are the ones that can get your legendary armorsmith hammered to death.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 04:51:53 am »

Fortunately this guy just wants spears... The only reason I've got a legendary weaponsmith

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 04:59:39 am »

It's always nice when you've got a noble who wants you to make something you were going to make a bunch of anyway.  Coffins anytime, weapons when you're training up a smith, whatever.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 05:28:21 am »

My armour smith was up to master then he had a mood and made himself legendary... waste of my time really

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 05:29:58 am »

I toyed with putting all my useless nobles in a squad of their own, without armour or weapons, and sending them off to fight sieges, FBs, GCS or whatever happened to be knocking around at the time.

But then all that time and effort carving out, smoothing and engraving their quarters would have been wasted.
I've only just got access to the boiling hot cherry Koolaid, so while I'm working out the best way to get it to the surface, a slight diversion into the queen's chambers might be called for.

A Baron wanted a black bronze bed one time, so I sent him to fight trogs on his lonesome. He killed three before being dragged down.

I have a CMD who is also a legendary bonecrafter.
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 05:32:57 am »

I would never trust a surgeon who sees leftover parts as raw materials.  Someone who can make you a new hip better than your old one, though... hmmm.  Have to think about this...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 05:39:09 am »

and these are the ones that can get your legendary armorsmith hammered to death.
Don't know if this is more ironic (given that he should know how to protect himself) than the legendary weaponsmith being hammered to death. ;)

It's been ages since I've had an "I want <foo> in my room!" demand.  I actually thought they'd been taken out... Must be just the PRNG's little joke with me...  (As for the lack of tin issue, I never create a noble[1] without first cutting out of the shortlist all the ones with material desires incompatible with my embark's provably-available materials.  Not that this would have stopped the Fine Pewter Bed situation from arising.  There's the footnote-mentioned alloy-avoidance, but iron/copper/spoilermetal beds are just as improbable.)

[1] If I can help it, the Expedition Leader, who often becomes mayor after a while, is often chosen (forced to be so, by the appropriate spatter of social-skill spamming) for having an uncomplicated choice of metal (often the easy-to-obtain copper[2] and rarely an alloy of any kind), rock-types that are as generally available as possible, and it's a plus-point if they have a preference for any actual item that I would want to be making anyway.  (Bags, certain weapons, chairs, tables...)

[2] Although I've gone off "iron" as a choice, after so many embarks where iron did not exist either on my map or for my civilisation...

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 09:40:04 am »

Fortunately this guy just wants spears... The only reason I've got a legendary weaponsmith

My baron is also a spear fanatic, always wants them being made, doesn't want them exported.  I like this baron (other then I had to rush to get a metal industry up and running).

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 09:58:04 am »

Should have hired a guy who wants chain leggings.

There's a feature that melting Chain Leggings gives you 150% bars.

Then you could make a Steel Fortress and have the mayor be ecstatic.
Pages: [1] 2 3