Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: On Reclaims.  (Read 4612 times)

Lovecraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On Reclaims.
« on: July 01, 2012, 09:10:23 pm »

How many of you guys actually reclaim a fortress after it's fallen? What are your criteria for a reclaim?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: On Reclaims.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 09:16:25 pm »

If it was an awesome fortress and/or off to a good start before tragedy and/or !!tragedy!! struck.
Usually the second, for me.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 09:17:27 pm »

I reclaim forts if I think there's half a chance of nursing it back to full strength, or if the fort was awesome and got undone by something retarded - eg forgetting to lock a door when sieges arrive.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Vinedragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 09:18:09 pm »

I often reclaim just 'cause I liked the layout. Or something stupid happened and everybody died about 3.5 seconds after I found adamantine, or a great deposit of mithril or something.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 09:21:35 pm »

What if everyone dies 3.5 seconds after mining adamantine?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Vinedragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 09:22:31 pm »

Then I grab an adventurer, clear it out, THEN reclaim it.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 10:07:02 pm »

I reclaim if the location is just too amazing to give up, like the fort I have now that is based on an entire mountain of metal ore and obsidian...

Or if the reclaims are !!FUN!!... the 15 reclaims where I lost every single one to alligator attacks for example.  It was getting to the point of comedy, and i couldn't stop myself from just trying again.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 10:40:55 pm »

I rarely reclaim.  The only exeption was a fort that had the gunmaking industry set up, and a fort that was flooded due to water pressure. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 10:50:35 pm »

I just reclaimed a fort that I lost due to just... the dwarves were lazy. literally they simply refused to work.  And within half a season of reclaim suddenly necromancers. necromancers -everywhere-.

and so every corpse on the map popped up and there went my fort.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 01:12:24 am »

How many of you guys actually reclaim a fortress after it's fallen? What are your criteria for a reclaim?
If it died before it was supposed to. 7 hammerdwarves.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 01:24:15 am »

If it was from a civ that has screwed me over in the past, like harassing migrants, I will reclaim with 7 soldiers just to mess them up.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 01:37:06 am »

I just started reclaiming forts. Today, actually. Reclaiming a fortress after a tantrum spiral drug it down is a bad idea.

Violent ghosts. Violent ghosts everywhere.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 06:24:18 am »

I only reclaim small outposts in savage evil regions.

Sometimes it takes several generations of dwarves and adventurers to gain a decent foothold in the area.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 06:32:02 am »

Deliberately abandoning and reclaiming multiple times to build up huge stockpiles of lumber or fuel, provided you can find your stuff after it's been spread all over the area by wildlife, is kinda... cheating. Not that I ever did this after I figured out that you could. No, sir, not me.

I have plans to reclaim my first ever fort simply to find and entomb the last surviving dwarf (who later died by tantrum induced starvation). I suspect the FB that killed everyone else is still knocking around the area, though.
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 07:04:04 am »

I have not been successful at reclaiming ever since we left 40d.  In 40d we got a reclaim party sized for the estimated threat at the site to be reclaimed, trained and equipped for the task.  In the current versions we just get the same seven Dwarves with the same equipment and training allowance as we got originally, whether the site has three forgotten beasts roaming the halls, or none. 

Therefore I have begun to generate worlds with 10000 embark points.  I use less than 2000 for normal embarks, but should I decide to ever again try reclaiming I will at least be able to train and equip my seven-Dwarf force and give them a sizeable pack of war dogs.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.
Pages: [1] 2