Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Consolidation of items into one barrel  (Read 1833 times)

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Consolidation of items into one barrel
« on: July 01, 2012, 06:12:56 pm »

I'm not sure this is even possible but i'm having space issues. I have a still that is outputting all varieties of alcohol. For some odd reason i have two barrels sitting next to each other in one is Prickleberry wine [4], in the barrel next to it is Prickleberry wine[5]. I'de like some of these extra barrels back for other functions but more so i'de like to avoid whatever lead to this sorting method, IT'S TERRIBLE!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 06:20:08 pm by Rafe »

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Consolidation of items into one barrel
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 06:50:07 pm »

I think this happens because your boozemaker produces different amount of stack of a booze. So he could be brewing and end up with 5 units of booze or with 4 units of booze, and this goes into whatever barrel he brought to the still.

How to pour booze from one barrel into the other? I don't think that's possible. Eventually some dwarves will come and drink a bit of the booze from the barrel, leaving maybe like 2 units of booze in it. Then the boozemaker might pick that barrel, make +5 more booze into it, and end up with 7 units of booze in one barrel.
Feeling down? Click Here!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 07:00:22 pm »

k, to select the barrel, Enter to view it then tab to the items within. Set them to dump, and the dorfs will empty the barrels. Then use f to claim the booze after it's been dumped and the barrels will be condensed.

Alternatively, wait, the barrel will eventually be emptied as it's drunk from.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 07:02:05 pm by Triaxx2 »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 07:05:11 pm »

It's often better to have booze distributed between barrels, even if it means wasted space. Otherwise they may all be occupied, causing some idiot to trek across the surface during a siege to drink from a vomit/blood drenched murky pool with corpses floating in it, rather than wait four seconds for someone to finish drinking.

If that's not an issue, you can maximize the barrel capacity by using skilled farmers and fertilizer to increase stack size. Easiest solution is always just "MOAR ROCK POTS" though.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 07:47:58 pm »

unless it's been changed, booze doesn't move from the barrel is was brewed in to.

dwarfs occupy a barrel when they drink, as mentioned, so multiple barrels with some booze is better, since otherwise it leaves dwarfs waiting for a barrel to be free to drink, which means they might go thirsty and/or get bad thoughts

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Brewer
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 12:13:15 am »

Dammit i just found a pile of Lavish meal [18], sitting on top of a barrel. That's 8 more then a barrel will accept as anything beyond [10 ] is cannot fit.   This will now sit in the commons area and generate flies and eventually have to be thrown out. Maybe a few dwarves will be able to get some nourishment from this incredible waste of resources.

Does this happen to you guys a lot ?

I'm trying to assess how i'm doing and i just can't seem to get barrels under control. How big are your stockpiles?

Right now i'm struggling with barrels, stockpiles(which i'm very confident with) and barrows, trying to get automation under control. I thought i had it when i had a almost perfectly automated jewel crafter with no job cancellations but then things started to spiral out of control which i really can't even detect because i'm just getting a tremendous volume of stockpile cancelations from item haulers. My butchering never got done despite prioritizing the order nor did the last carcases meat get stored and now kakapo intestines are generating miasma despite months to put this stuff away.

Either i'm missing something or i'm being way to speciific with my burrows or my stockpiles need to be bigger. My stockpiles are pretty small right now.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 12:17:36 am by Rafe »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 02:40:25 am »

as long as the meals are on a stockpile it won't rot. It doesn't have to be in a barrel for that. Just put a meals stockpile behind doors so the flies can only bother someone getting food from there. It's such a minor thought I never use pots or barrels for a meal stockpile simply because I'd need more barrels and pots than I feel like making.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 05:48:08 am »

Honestly though, it;s easy enough to just leave craft rock pots on repeat. Even with the new mining rates, you'll still end up with tons more stone than you need.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 07:37:25 am »

Dammit i just found a pile of Lavish meal [18], sitting on top of a barrel. That's 8 more then a barrel will accept as anything beyond [10 ] is cannot fit.   This will now sit in the commons area and generate flies and eventually have to be thrown out. Maybe a few dwarves will be able to get some nourishment from this incredible waste of resources.

Does this happen to you guys a lot ?

I'm trying to assess how i'm doing and i just can't seem to get barrels under control. How big are your stockpiles?

Right now i'm struggling with barrels, stockpiles(which i'm very confident with) and barrows, trying to get automation under control. I thought i had it when i had a almost perfectly automated jewel crafter with no job cancellations but then things started to spiral out of control which i really can't even detect because i'm just getting a tremendous volume of stockpile cancelations from item haulers. My butchering never got done despite prioritizing the order nor did the last carcases meat get stored and now kakapo intestines are generating miasma despite months to put this stuff away.

Either i'm missing something or i'm being way to speciific with my burrows or my stockpiles need to be bigger. My stockpiles are pretty small right now.

I don't usually use burrows much, preferring to fiddle with labor settings (turning off the big-volume wood/stone hauling for important dwarves). Mostly use them for trade depot, sometimes temporarily if I want to force my good mason to stay at the workshop despite large-scale aboveground constructions being done by my hordes of dabbling masons, for example. So I'm guessing that overly specific burrows and/or labor settings are keeping your dwarves so busy they're not doing their stuff. The loads of item hauling cancellations sounds like you have some problems with your stockpile setup, for sure.

As to whether your stockpiles are big enough or not, are they full? If your raw food stockpiles, especially the one for meat, is full, of course they won't haul the prepared intestines there. And yes, meals on stockpiles won't rot; worst-case scenario is that some of them will be eaten by vermin.

One thing you can do (but will be considered exploity by many) if you want automatisation and small stockpiles, is to have minecarts do automatic quantum stockpiling for most goods. You need 2 squares of tracks, a smallish source stockpile for the first tile (3 squares could easily be enough), which is also a hauling route stop, a dumping track stop for the latter tile/hauling route stop, and a 1-square stockpile that it dumps to. Fit all stockpiles into ~6 tiles each, with no upper limit on the stored amount.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend this for food though, as I'm not 100% certain on the amount how cart-stasis works, and you'll probably need a lot of food to fill a cart. Lots of other industries where it will take a looong time to fill a cart exist, too: eg. a cartful of crafts is 2500 units, I hear, so even with "at least 25% items" departure settings, you're still looking at 625 crafts before the cart leaves. If you're using carts for quantum stockpiling in lots of places, you probably don't want too many carts with always push off at time X, either.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 01:11:09 pm »

I always just create a prepared food stockpile with no barrels allowed; those dwarven biscuits last forever in a stock pile (dwarf bread! now to weaponize plump helmet biscuits!)

Just create a large stockpile near your dining hall, in the settings forbid all food types, and make sure prepared food is enabled [ u ] (but it's enabled by default)
Then go to all your food stockpiles and use [ u ] to disable prepared meals so all your prepared meals end up being hauled to the large stockpile- also convenient to see food stores at a glance

--edit--

oops, I forgot about bb code
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 03:37:55 pm by Reese »
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 03:11:43 pm »

Track stops set to dump will dump items whenever the minecart is on them and not as the minecart enters the tile, so leave the minecart on the tile with the track stop. If you need the cart to be moving on an actual route, then you can set the cart to move every x days instead of at x% capacity.

k, to select the barrel, Enter to view it then tab to the items within. Set them to dump, and the dorfs will empty the barrels. Then use f to claim the booze after it's been dumped and the barrels will be condensed.
This doesn't work, and nor would you want it to unless your aim was to have a puddle of booze dumped onto the floor.

You can do several things here.

1. Dig out more space for booze storage, and make more rock pots or barrels.
2. Use larger stacks of plants to make your booze. Stacks of five can be bought off the caravans, and fertilised fields or highly-skilled herbalists produce about that amount per stack.
3. Buy booze off the traders. You get 25 units to a barrel, plus the barrel. Alcohol has no quality modifiers.
4. Put up with it. If you have enough alcohol in enough barrels to let every dwarf in the fortress get a drink, you're fine. If you have a water supply as well, nobody is going to die of thirst.
5. Cook off some of the smaller portions of alcohol. This sounds like a good idea but is fiddly and needs micromanagement to stop the cook from cooking barrels with lots of alcohol in them.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 04:01:35 pm »

I think two things happened possibly. I have absolutely TINY stockpiles and so it's possible there are work interruptions because people are going for the same job or item, i hope.

2ndly i discovered plant gathering and have small amounts of 4 or 5 varieties of plants and i've brewed all of them and obtained not just the booze but the seeds. I have only 2 seed bags and i've never started a leather industry despite getting my first leather recently.

Anyway i'm starting over and watching everything real close. Thanks again guys this game is fun but it inefficiency drives me crazy so i really want things automated.