Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cages and the maturation of it's juvinile contents  (Read 763 times)

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cages and the maturation of it's juvinile contents
« on: July 01, 2012, 01:54:05 pm »

So i have a ton of baby chicks inside a cage, i survived the threat of chicksplosion however i was wondering if i have to let them back out in a room for them to mature into edible adults or will they mature within the cage?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Cages and the maturation of it's juvinile contents
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 02:58:10 pm »

They should grow while inside the cages, but I could be wrong.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 03:30:16 pm »

you're not. They grow up inside the cages
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 04:56:15 am »

they will also eventually die of old age in the cage if you keep them in there long enough.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 05:03:51 am »

What's threatening about a birdsplosion?  They can't adopt, so you can get rid of birds that are surplus to requirements at your earliest convenience.  This doesn't apply to pet birds, but pet birds only make non-pet birds unless you deliberately put the offspring up for adoption.  And you have to give them nest boxes and restrict access to the eggs to make more birds at all.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 07:26:13 am »

What's threatening about a birdsplosion?  They can't adopt, so you can get rid of birds that are surplus to requirements at your earliest convenience.  This doesn't apply to pet birds, but pet birds only make non-pet birds unless you deliberately put the offspring up for adoption.  And you have to give them nest boxes and restrict access to the eggs to make more birds at all.

I think birdsplosion (and many other splosions) refer to the size of the nests, while catsplosion refers to the fact that stopping cats from breeding can be difficult. Having 40 chicks running around will make things a little confusing and keeps dwarfs busy for quite a while trying to catch and cage them. Now try it with (unmodded) cave crocs, who average in nest size 50+.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 07:46:28 am »

I think birdsplosion (and many other splosions) refer to the size of the nests, while catsplosion refers to the fact that stopping cats from breeding can be difficult. Having 40 chicks running around will make things a little confusing and keeps dwarfs busy for quite a while trying to catch and cage them. Now try it with (unmodded) cave crocs, who average in nest size 50+.

You can get a nasty birdsplosion if you just lock the doors to the bird-pasture to get chicks, and forget to unlock them until after there are loads of chicks, for example. Yea, the main problem will probably be how long it takes to get all those chicks under control (preferably in cages), and when they grow up, they'll take quite a bit of slaughtering/tanning too. Just realised that I haven't checked yet whether egg-layers' offspring will be auto-assigned to their mother's pasture, the way it works with other animals now?

Cave crocs, yum (value multiplier x4!) :P Catch a female and tame it, you get nice big stacks of eggs, for nice big stacks of valuable roasts. Catch a male as well (this can be left hostile and just pitted somewhere, so ones from goblin sieges are ok as well), and you have a crocodile farm, for value multiplier x4 leather and bone goods, and of course food and soap.

edit: bah, it seems that according to the wiki, cave crocs (or saltwater ones) don't actually give leather, just scales (or nothing, with saltwater crocs) :/ Now there's a spot for modding, since of course real-life crocodile leather farms do exist. Then again, one could just buy the caravans empty with all those cave crocodile bone crafts, but I'd much prefer to have my dwarves uniformly outfitted in cave crocodile leather clothing. Gives more flavor to the fort.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 08:04:37 am by Snaake »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 08:20:27 am »

edit: bah, it seems that according to the wiki, cave crocs (or saltwater ones) don't actually give leather, just scales (or nothing, with saltwater crocs) :/ Now there's a spot for modding, since of course real-life crocodile leather farms do exist. Then again, one could just buy the caravans empty with all those cave crocodile bone crafts, but I'd much prefer to have my dwarves uniformly outfitted in cave crocodile leather clothing. Gives more flavor to the fort.

I'm sure that it's possible to change the raws to use scale for leather clothing. Just so all your dwarfs can have croc leather clothing, shoes and handbags.