Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dumping items into deep chasms or shallow pits.  (Read 858 times)

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dumping items into deep chasms or shallow pits.
« on: July 01, 2012, 12:56:32 pm »

Can i simply have a refuse pile in the now missing floor tile designated a refuse stockpile or maybe and animal stockpile to dump butchered nervous systems, rotten parts, or even cages with captured goblins into deep holes?

also if i'm dumping crap deep in a cavern i will be creating miasma. If i decide to annex this location in the future i imagine the miasma will disipate once the rotting item transforms to bones correct?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Dumping items into deep chasms or shallow pits.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 03:00:23 pm »

Stockpiles have nothing to do with dumping; use the zones menu ([i]) to create a garbage dump.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 03:20:02 pm »

What he said, but also if you make it outside, it won't generate miasma. I think that applies to stockpiles as well.

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 03:34:01 pm »

thanks for the reply. So this means you must manually D dump things into the dump ? I was hoping for something automated so that when dwarfs found rat remains, badger nervous systems or roach remains rather then running to the surface to dump they would just dump into this massive cave system.

I figured it would generate miasma but i don't plan on doing anything with the cave for a while and i figure once the stuff rots to bones the miasma would dissipate(i hope)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 03:51:13 pm »

Go into the orders menu, and select refuse. I'd save bones, skulls if you make totems, skins if you tan leather, and hair if you make string out of hides. Unfortunately, 'bones' includes the useless cartilage, which will need to be dumped manually. 'Other' covers vermin remains and various other animal junk.

Only rotten food/corpses generates miasma, so dumping kitten nervous systems down there wouldn't be an issue. Even so, miasma does go away eventually, after the item decays.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 04:09:04 pm »

Automating can be done with minecarts. What happens is that dwarves take the refuse to the stockpile, and then use the stockpile to fill the minecart. The minecart sits on a one-tile track* with a track stop set to dump, and whatever the dwarves put in the minecart falls right back out again onto an orthogonally-placed tile of your choice. You'll need a second stockpile for the 'dumped' refuse, or an inaccessible location, otherwise dwarves will rush down to put the refuse in the refuse stockpile and subsequently the minecart and then Fun will start happening.

*The track may not even be necessary, just the track stop and the hauling route.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 05:03:10 pm »

You will need the tract, but I don't think stuff in containers rot, including mine carts, so it might be possible to use them as super storage, even for stuff you want to keep.

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 07:24:01 pm »

What he said, but also if you make it outside, it won't generate miasma. I think that applies to stockpiles as well.

The problem with making your refuse piles outside is that if you get visited by a Necromancer he has easy access to zombie fodder. Also if you get a siege, you don't want your dwarfs outside dumping stuff and if for whatever you can't defeat the siege and have to turtle up then you'll have garbage laying around the fort making them unhappy.

I usually build a big room inside away from everything and use doors to airlock it which seems well enough to keep the miasma spreading. Sure the dwarfs dropping off trash into the area might get unhappy thoughts, but its not something a legendary dining hall can resolve.

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 07:33:42 pm »

Go into the orders menu, and select refuse. I'd save bones, skulls if you make totems, skins if you tan leather, and hair if you make string out of hides. Unfortunately, 'bones' includes the useless cartilage, which will need to be dumped manually. 'Other' covers vermin remains and various other animal junk.

Only rotten food/corpses generates miasma, so dumping kitten nervous systems down there wouldn't be an issue. Even so, miasma does go away eventually, after the item decays.

YOU can get bones and skulls from rat corpses ? really !?

I do have a bone carver making bolts from a hunters kills but i'm always short on bolts and rats would help, i didn't realize i could get bones from them.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 08:42:18 pm »

No, rats and other vermin only drop 'remains', which are completely useless. :/

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 05:44:33 am »

What I do is dig it two tiles deep, with one hole, and then use DFHack to deramp it. Then I stick a grate over the top and surround that with walls. That ensures that nothing can drop in from above, and nothing can walk right up and destroy it. Of course it doesn't stop flying building destroyers, so...

Of course an alternate plan is to simply place it under an atom smasher and deal with it that way. Be sure to include locking doors.

Can you atom smash miasma?

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 07:19:34 am »

The problem with making your refuse piles outside is that if you get visited by a Necromancer he has easy access to zombie fodder. Also if you get a siege, you don't want your dwarfs outside dumping stuff and if for whatever you can't defeat the siege and have to turtle up then you'll have garbage laying around the fort making them unhappy.

I usually build a big room inside away from everything and use doors to airlock it which seems well enough to keep the miasma spreading. Sure the dwarfs dropping off trash into the area might get unhappy thoughts, but its not something a legendary dining hall can resolve.

I've been thinking I should work out some kind of standard trashcart system to go near the butcher's workshop so I could move them inside better (usually keep them outside at the moment). IIRC doors/hatches open immediately when triggered by a pressure plate, so those could be used for the airlock. However, I'd still like to avoid miasma (due to possible fps concerns), which means I probably could/should just avoid the hassle of airlocks and have the cart dump everything in a tile that counts as outside. Just have a constructed roof (floor above) to prevent flying building destroyer access.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 11:58:52 am »

I generally have multiple refuse piles.

a) Bones - Near a craft workshop down in the bowels of the fortress.
b) Skulls - Also down deep, feeding a craft workshop.
c) Hoof/Ivory - Same, sometimes I'll combine skulls/hoof/ivory as there doesn't seem to be much of it.

d) The tiny refuse pile for stuff which rots (meats, fish, unprepped fish, cheese, rotten tanned hide) if it is not in a stockpile.  This doesn't need to be very large so I usually have a few of them spread around.  If it's underground, put it behind a double-set of doors about 2-5 tiles apart to keep miasma from leaking out into the corridor.

e) The "necro" pile.  At the start, this is simply a pile which accepts Remains, Corpses and Body Parts.  Access to this pile should be via a 1x11 corridor of spiked ball traps which do a good job of beating any trouble back down into ground zombie.

Later on, I use one of my big open-air pits (usually 11x11), floor it over about 2-5 levels from the bottom to seal it from the outside, floor over all the levels below that seal point and use that as my "necro" piles.  Again, making sure that there's always at least 8-tiles worth of blunt weapon traps between it and the fort (along with some way to seal it off).  Since those open-air pits are considered "outside", the stuff rots into bones and doesn't generate miasma.  Even though it's 10-30Z below the surface with multiple levels and ceilings over it.