Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Disabling Item/Food hauling  (Read 1541 times)

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disabling Item/Food hauling
« on: July 01, 2012, 11:25:06 am »

If I have a miner who keeps getting distracted, if I disable item and food hauling (assuming everything else is already disabled) will they die of starvation/dehydration?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Disabling Item/Food hauling
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 11:27:15 am »

Of course not - hauling labors are only used for stockpiling jobs.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 12:28:01 pm »

Of course not - hauling labors are only used for stockpiling jobs.

If a mason does not have stone hauling turned on will he still be able to grab a boulder from the stockpile to do a workshop job? Or will someone with stone hauling have to bring the stone to him first?
Feeling down? Click Here!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 01:26:07 pm »

Dwarves can grab job items without the relevant hauling labour.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 03:31:57 pm »

after all, his job is for example to make a mechanism, not to haul a stone, so disabling a hauling labor shouldn't matter.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 03:35:50 pm »

Ah, wow. I always thought that well, if they need to haul a piece of stone to the workshop to work on it they need stone hauling enabled, or otherwise they wouldn't do it.
Feeling down? Click Here!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 03:40:42 pm »

Most hauling jobs are just the "haul item to a stockpile" job. Refuse hauling is also dumping items, I think pasturing animals is now animal hauling, and vehicle pushing is, um, pushing vehicles.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 05:09:50 pm »

animal hauling is about cages iirc

just as an animal stockpile takes cages
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 02:36:45 am by Garath »
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 09:55:35 pm »

Mind blown.

rayrox222

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 09:17:16 am »

Is there some distance limit between where a craftsman will work and how far he will go to pick up supplies to make things?  For some reason I have had workers, say a job gets cancelled because of no metal bars, let's say iron, but I can see iron metal bars in a stockpile that is not forbidden in any way just a few rooms away.  Why won't he fetch it for his craft?  This is especially true of persons in a strange mood who claim a workshop.  Do I have to build relevant stockpiles right next to the workshop?  How do I transport goods from one stockpile to another?  Is that even possible?  Thanks in advance for any help!  This is a hard game to learn how to play lol but I'm loving it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 10:25:29 am »

well, with strange moods this is usually because they want some specific metal. You might have iron, but they want zinc. If you have enough zinc cages you could melt to turn into a bar, for example, they want it. In normal jobs, items may be reserved, stockpiles or workshops may be set to only give or take to specific things, someone is already planning to use it for something... well, quite a few issues

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 12:05:42 pm »

well, with strange moods this is usually because they want some specific metal. You might have iron, but they want zinc. If you have enough zinc cages you could melt to turn into a bar, for example, they want it. In normal jobs, items may be reserved, stockpiles or workshops may be set to only give or take to specific things, someone is already planning to use it for something... well, quite a few issues

Most notably now in 34.07 and later, when you can have stockpiles give to workshops, the claimed workshop needs to be taking (=have give links) from ALL the stockpiles that the mooding dwarf wants stuff from.

On the other hand, I was under the impression that the usual problem case for you not having the right type of material was cloth, where plant, animal, and silk cloth count as separate types of material. Well, there are some other specific ones too, like glasses. But eg. all metals are just metals. See http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Strange_mood

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 12:20:59 pm »

Most notably now in 34.07 and later, when you can have stockpiles give to workshops, the claimed workshop needs to be taking (=have give links) from ALL the stockpiles that the mooding dwarf wants stuff from.

On the other hand, I was under the impression that the usual problem case for you not having the right type of material was cloth, where plant, animal, and silk cloth count as separate types of material. Well, there are some other specific ones too, like glasses. But eg. all metals are just metals. See http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Strange_mood

I had a weapon smith go insane in 34.07 that says not so (wanted zinc, as I used in the example). also, in .07 stockpiles can't give selectively, that's .08 and onwards. Moods ignore stockpile options and burrows except for the planepacked issue, where the burrow will be happily ignored but lots and lots of a material will be gathered, afaik. I've had multiple moods ask for a specific metal, just as a specific cloth.

rayrox222

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 12:57:52 pm »

Sorry, noob question but I wasn't aware of options in each workshop to allow use of certain materials in crafting.  Is this a setting you find after you toggle "q" at the workshop?  And is there a limit to how far a crafter goes to pick up the materials?  Say my stones are in a stockpile 3 z levels below at an estimated distance of 80.  Never mind that my layout sucks (lol) I'm still learning, but IF the materials are available (not forbidden, not to be used for another purpose, allowed for use by that workshop) is there a variable such that the material is "too far away" and the job gets cancelled because the worker assesses the material is not available?

And again, is it possible to order goods be hauled from one stockpile to another that's closer to where you'd make use of it?  If so, how does one accomplish such orders?  Thanks everyone!

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 03:03:54 pm »

Sorry, noob question but I wasn't aware of options in each workshop to allow use of certain materials in crafting.  Is this a setting you find after you toggle "q" at the workshop?  And is there a limit to how far a crafter goes to pick up the materials?  Say my stones are in a stockpile 3 z levels below at an estimated distance of 80.  Never mind that my layout sucks (lol) I'm still learning, but IF the materials are available (not forbidden, not to be used for another purpose, allowed for use by that workshop) is there a variable such that the material is "too far away" and the job gets cancelled because the worker assesses the material is not available?

And again, is it possible to order goods be hauled from one stockpile to another that's closer to where you'd make use of it?  If so, how does one accomplish such orders?  Thanks everyone!

- You can eg. allow the use of only one type of stone by making a stone stockpile with only that stone enabled, and then set it to (g)ive to the workshop.
- Aside from stockpiles being set to give to a workshop causing the workshop to only take from that stockpile, or a crafter being set to a burrow (which causes him to only use workshops, materials etc in that burrow, I think), there are no limits as to where the crafter will pick up the materials. Of course, it's possible that the materials are already reserved for something else, eg. you've just designated 20 tiles of walls to be built, that will reserve the 20 specific stones you selected.
- To move goods from one stockpile to another one, make a new stockpile where you want, then select the new stockpile to take from the old one. Or the old to give to the new, whatever, with stockpiles the links are always automatically created and shown on both ends.
Pages: [1] 2