Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shot-gun weddings and night trolls.  (Read 1532 times)

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shot-gun weddings and night trolls.
« on: July 01, 2012, 11:04:41 am »

from wiki "They are supernatural monsters which kidnap non-goblin civilized beings, transform them into spouses, and then mate with them to produce young"

Is this like a shotgun wedding? "you slept with my night troll daughter, now i will transform you from a bachelor to a husband!"

The idea of transforming into a spouse doesn't make much sense otherwise.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: Shot-gun weddings and night trolls.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 11:15:11 am »

Sounds more like rape and forced marriage than shotgun marriages, if you ask me. A bit disturbing, but folklore is known to include these sorts of creatures.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 11:42:39 am »

That just did a lot to ding whatever remaining sympathy I had for goblins. lol

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 11:51:47 am »

The idea of transformation to a spouse is somewhat strange wording unless we are to assume there is some form of physical transformation that allows for reproduction because of previous inability to generate offspring because of biological incompatibility.

Whatever the case we don't typically say my uncle passed the bar and he was transformed into a lawyer or my cousin was convicted of manslaugher and was transformed into a prisoner of so and so correctional facility. 

anyway i feel like playing some more. I'm gonna transform myself into a gamer in a few minutes.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 12:04:50 pm »

The idea of transformation to a spouse is somewhat strange wording unless we are to assume there is some form of physical transformation that allows for reproduction because of previous inability to generate offspring because of biological incompatibility.
I agree that the wording is somewhat off, although I'd say that you have hit on the correct reason for the wording - in DF, inter-species breeding is forbidden, and thus the only way to get offspring is by transforming the kidnapped victim into a night creature.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 12:19:12 pm »

Lets see. You played Dragon Age Origins? Or know how the Darkspawn work? To reproduce they take one of the civilized races, rape them and corrupt them with blight until they become one of them.

Now Night Trolls work similary. They kidnap a civilized race, they imprison them in their lair. Then through undisclosed, yet certainly horrifying means (its magic, they aint gotta explain shit) they transform the captive into one of them and they become a spouse or husband (gender is maintained, night trolls only kidnap members of the opposite gender). Afterwards they proceed to have kids, which do the same, and the night troll may even get a second, third, fourth, etc. mate should they be successful in their kidnapings.

Basically they are the boogeymen of "eat your food or the boogeymen will take you". The boogeymen themselves serve a diferent purpose and represent a diferent, but similar part of folklore.

Elf royalty seem to be favorite targets in my experience.

Night trolls dont have anything to do with Goblins. They are monsters of the night that live by themselves (if without a mate) or with their family (if with a mate) that attack whos only purpose in life is to attack and torment civiliced races, including Goblins.
And night troll isnt a troll in any sense of the word as they are randomly generated humanoids of which there are many different types (eyeless freak, gloom hag, dusk horror, night witch, shadow man, etc.). They are basically boogeymen, only bigger and not infinite.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 01:56:42 pm »

It's not goblins, it's night critters. Big difference.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 02:47:46 pm »

I stand corrected. Why would they not also take goblin brides however? Just a game mechanic quirk?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 02:49:17 pm »

I stand corrected. Why would they not also take goblin brides however? Just a game mechanic quirk?
Why have a goblin when you could have a hairy Dwarf?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 03:26:46 pm »

I'm thinking either the wiki entry is mistaken (wouldn't be the first time), the story goes that there's some kind of biological incompatibility there which is beyond the transformation's ability to correct, or the story means to make night trolls more horrifying by only hitting races you can somewhat empathize with.  That last one doesn't work for me so well, when I got bit by something like the kobold bug it was gobbos that were the vast majority of my exposure to an overlooked, underestimated humanoid pest race.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 03:31:54 pm »

I think goblins lack [SPOUSE_CONVERSION_TARGET].
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.