Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Electrum Weapons  (Read 11360 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Electrum Weapons
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 03:42:55 pm »

I am still proud of them. Even a dorf who has no idea what he's doing only needs to land a hit in the body to kill someone (Or seriously injure them.)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 03:44:23 pm »

Which also explains the insane rates of fire. Awesome.

Well considering I just lost a Hunter, and nearly lost my Axedwarf to a GCS, I need more potent warriors it seems.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 03:49:10 pm »

Which also explains the insane rates of fire.
Rate of fire is heavily tied to marksdwarf skill, so it implies Dwarves have some knowledge and way of learning how to make and operate hand held railguns.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 06:16:29 pm »

One thing to note with Dwarven crossbows is - they don't use strings of any sort in their construction. They probably function by magnets, don't ask me how they work.

Blasphemy! The beard creates the string for it's dwarf to use in the crossbow. The reason why you don't get dwarvern beard rope is of course simple. Dwarvern beard strands are so sacred that they can ONLY be used for the shedding of blood for Armok.

This is also why goblins kidnap dwarves, it's so they can shear the dwarves to make crossbow strings...
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 06:49:32 pm »

Correct me if I´m worng but dont weapons (even artifacts) made from non-weapon materials recieve a penalty in either damage, to-hit, penetration, or something of the like?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 07:07:08 pm »

Correct me if I´m worng but dont weapons (even artifacts) made from non-weapon materials recieve a penalty in either damage, to-hit, penetration, or something of the like?
I've never heard of this.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 09:04:32 pm »

Non-weapon materials are generally inferior in one or more critical aspects. e.g., a lead sword is plenty dense enough, but doesn't cut/hold and edge very well; an adamantine hammer is fantastically light, but that means it can't apply force (equals mass times acceleration as applied to the contact area) in a meaningful way in combat.

Okay, so that last example is a weapon material, but it still demonstrates the point. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 09:12:04 pm »

OKAY, about silver versus steel. No, it is not noticably better. It may be better at wounding, but against armor, steel is superior due to armor strength being determined by material, where silver sucks against armor. Just hypothesizing, but I didn't notice a difference between silver and steel in arena. I dont know about things heavier then silver, check out gold hammers in arena.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 09:14:49 pm »

I recall it as Silver hitting harder, but Steel hits through armor more often. But then who needs to hit through armor when you're shattering thier shoulder.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 09:25:43 pm »

I'm pretty sure density is the most important for blunt weapons. It sure seems it should be that way, what with DF not taking weapon damage or bending or anything like that into account.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 09:36:26 pm »

There's very little difference with most metals blunt except for adamantine. A silver war hammer weighs four pounds and a steel war hammer weighs three but it didn't matter too much. Steel and Silver seem to be basically identical when both parties are armored. Did several one on one tests and one with fifty dwarves decked out in full steel and steel warhammers against fifty dwarves in full steel with silver war hammers. Silver won in the end but only five survived and two of them were severely injured.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 10:08:00 am »

I wish people would stop repeating falsehoods. That only density matters for blunt weapons is quite easy to falsify with some RAW edits.
The regular materials seem about equal in testing for blunt weapons. Silver seems to be better against armour in tests, steel against flesh but it's a close call. Testing with edited materials confirms the trend that the importance of density over toughness/stiffness increases against armour and that they all matter.

Platinum is noticably ahead for blunt weapons. Gold seems slightly better than the regular materials in most circumstances, lead slightly worse. I'd expect electrum to still be slightly ahead, but probably too close for conclusive results.

Detahramet

• Bay Watcher
  • LIBERAL DWARF SQUAD! Hell yes, LDS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2012, 04:34:42 am »

Ya know, rather than debating on a theoretical level, and basically just quoting the wiki, we could just use the arena...

Or read the RAWS, but where is !!FUN!! in that.
Hail Kodkod, Goddess of Jam!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2012, 07:27:05 am »

Ya know, rather than debating on a theoretical level, and basically just quoting the wiki, we could just use the arena...

Or read the RAWS, but where is !!FUN!! in that.
60 on 60 dwarves in full steel armor electrum loses to steel but there were so few survivors it's more or less tied.

60 on 60 dwarves in full steel armor electrum destorys silver twenty plus survivors very few severe injuries. 

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2012, 12:22:32 pm »

Was that a big melee, or 60 individual duals?  The duals give you a more accurate picture, because in a melee survivors of one "fight"help their neighbors, which can heavily skew the results depending on luck/RNG in the initial moments of the engagement.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3