Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Electrum Weapons  (Read 11357 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Electrum Weapons
« on: July 01, 2012, 09:19:45 am »

So, I just received a fairly awesome artifact in the form of an Electrum War Hammer, decorated with Spikes of Electrum.

According to the Wiki it falls between lead and Gold on the density scale, so my question is, is it a pretty good weapon, or should I just stick it in a weapon trap for room improvement?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Electrum Weapons
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 09:35:27 am »

It's better than silver you aren't going to get a better non-artifact warhammer.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 09:36:14 am »

It's a blunt weapon. As far as I know, blunt weapons don't care how hard the material they're made of is, they just care about the weight of the result.
The densest metal you can normally make warhammers out of is silver. Silver warhammers might be better than steel or copper because they're heavier.
And you got yourself an artifact warhammer (three times as accurate as a normal one), made of an alloy of silver and gold, gold being a particularly dense metal.

So yes, it's a very good weapon, as far as blunt weapons go. Don't expect you'll lop off parts with it - against unarmored, boneful things, there are better choices, and against brainless things, better choices are pretty much required.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 09:43:12 am »

Thats a pretty good weapon even without the artifact bonus. Just don't give it to your Hammerer.

UristMcLegendarySmith: Oops, I accidentally brought a gauntlet to the depot when theres a ban on trading them. I better go hide down in the forges.
UristMcHammerer: WHO THE @#$% DISOBEYED THE MAYOR!!! WAS IT YOU, URISTMCSMITH? IT WAS!!!!

Hammmerer pulls out his electrum war hammer and jumps down the minecart shaft to the magma sea.

WHAAABOOOM!!!

UristMcLegendarySmith has been smashed into Urist strawberry jam.
Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 10:05:21 am »

So, for the dorf who's military career consists of standing at the entrance and scaring the ravens away so they don't interrupt the goings on of the fort it's perfect? Thanks.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 10:32:22 am »

It's just about the best hammer you'll ever get. Give it to your best hammerdwarf who isn't a marksdwarf.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 11:45:55 am »

Electrum uses the raws of gold apart from density, so it's even softer than silver. I'd expect it to be slightly better than any hammer you can make normally, but not amazingly so. A pillaged whip will be more useful as a blunt weapon.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 11:52:11 am »

Electrum uses the raws of gold apart from density, so it's even softer than silver. I'd expect it to be slightly better than any hammer you can make normally, but not amazingly so. A pillaged whip will be more useful as a blunt weapon.

Well that's because whips are broken as all heck.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 12:40:48 pm »

It's just about the best hammer you'll ever get. Give it to your best hammerdwarf who isn't a marksdwarf.
If the best hammerdwarf is a marksdwarf - even better!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 02:26:29 pm »

IRL, softness matters. IDF, only density does. Therefore, electrum hammers are awesome.

Heh, no. I think an artifact electrum warhammer would break the crossbow string.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 02:42:22 pm »

Heh, no. I think an artifact electrum warhammer would break the crossbow string.
One thing to note with Dwarven crossbows is - they don't use strings of any sort in their construction. They probably function by magnets, don't ask me how they work.

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 02:44:59 pm »

Dwarfish crossbows are actually railguns.
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 02:47:11 pm »

Well that certainly puts the whole adamantine armour piercing bolts issue to rest then.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 03:12:06 pm »

No they aren't.... Because I made railguns with a few friends to help with reactions to build them

A true dwarven railgun shatters bones and gibs targets against walls like the hammerlords of old. Doesn't matter how good that armor is when you get turned to paste on the entry corridor.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 03:34:45 pm »

Actually, it does. If the armor is tough enough to survive the impact, it can help identify the bod--formless lump of chunky salsa.
Sig
Pages: [1] 2 3