Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will dwarves open a Floor Hatch to bucket/drink/clean?  (Read 1202 times)

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Will dwarves open a Floor Hatch to bucket/drink/clean?
« on: July 01, 2012, 07:02:07 am »

Channel out a hole, fill it with water, hatch it off, is it a water source?

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will dwarves open a Floor Hatch to bucket/drink/clean?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 09:07:03 am »

Should be, though I personally do it one level down. So channel, mine channel, fill the second hole, so I don't have to worry about them. Plus it gives a bit more room when I need to lock the hatch.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 11:21:20 am »

Wait, what? Why would you need to go 2 levels down?

Mister Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 11:30:49 am »

I'm not completely certain, but I don't think they'll open the hatch to get the stuff. Here's a solution that I used for my dumping pit:

1. Dig the pit
2. Put a hatch over it
3. Make a pressure plate that would be triggered by civilians and link it to the hatch
4. Set the zones so civilians would be standing on the plate to trigger it, therefore opening it for use

(though they might not go there in the first place to drink water if the hatch is closed, but again, not completely sure)

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 12:14:37 pm »

I believe it works, because a water source zone will stay valid even if you hatch it.  But, it sounds to me like you need a water source for drinking and cleaning. You should build a well.  Also, if you have a water source that's only 1 tile deep in your fortress, it will be muddy and could cause infection and unhappy thoughts. Channel out a pit 2 z-levels deep at least, fill it, and put a well over it. If it's two levels deep then the well draws water from the top layer of water and you don't get any of the mud-laced water at the bottom.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 03:10:19 pm »

To ensure they can go past the hatch.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 08:51:47 pm »

They will, in fact, even fish from it.

No cleaning yet.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 08:12:39 am »

Amazing! The dirt and grime is left at the side of the source, the water remains clean. I'm using cavern water, non-infinite, but still its all clean. I may set up a pump filtration method anyway.

Also, does the Aquifer signal and warning automatically mean there is an aquifer? I can't find any water on reveal....I was hoping for infinite water.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 08:20:35 am »

Amazing! The dirt and grime is left at the side of the source, the water remains clean. I'm using cavern water, non-infinite, but still its all clean. I may set up a pump filtration method anyway.

Also, does the Aquifer signal and warning automatically mean there is an aquifer? I can't find any water on reveal....I was hoping for infinite water.

Aquifers do have infinite water, but there probably isn't any aquifer-related water in existence until you dig into the aquifer. Look for damp aquifer-supporting stone or soil (go into the digging designation menu, those tiles should flash with a water icon). Not sure if reveal shows it though, only used it once or twice when I first tried DF in 2010 or something.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 12:37:38 pm »

Fire up reveal and then open the digging menu. Aquifer tiles will flash as damp.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 12:43:34 pm »

Aquifers do have infinite water, but there probably isn't any aquifer-related water in existence until you dig into the aquifer. Look for damp aquifer-supporting stone or soil (go into the digging designation menu, those tiles should flash with a water icon). Not sure if reveal shows it though, only used it once or twice when I first tried DF in 2010 or something.

I'm not sure how you mean clean. Cave water is never stagnant, but you can still have it laced with mud, and NO, water laced with mud doesn't reduce the amount of mud that is left.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 03:15:45 pm »

@Garath, by clean, I meant clean. Like, specifically not what you are talking about. The blood and sand are piled up in the hallway, next to the hatch cover, the cover and the water below it, when examined with k, turn up only a phyllite floor hatch, and water(7/7), no coverings or puddles or anything of any kind.

@Triaxx...curses. Always? And its probably not the ones under the murky pool, huh? Thats unfortunate. My site finder lied, and now my fort has an age limit. Or at least, an age at which all injured dwarves will die of dehydration. Admittedly, a pretty far off one...but no mist generators...my power supply will have to be either very clever, or windmills...Phooey.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 04:38:05 pm »

Battled a forgotten beast with deadly blood in the hatch access. All my animals are dying, the stairs and hall are splattered with blood, but still clean, potable water. Got myself a well, anyway.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 07:15:16 pm »

...curses. Always? And its probably not the ones under the murky pool, huh? Thats unfortunate. My site finder lied, and now my fort has an age limit. Or at least, an age at which all injured dwarves will die of dehydration. Admittedly, a pretty far off one...but no mist generators...my power supply will have to be either very clever, or windmills...Phooey.

Actually, there should still be an infinite water supply down in your caverns.  Unless you did something funky with world generation, the 2nd, 3rd, and probably 1st caverns should all have "infinite" water supplies that flow in through the map edges.  You should pass it through a pump if you want to avoid having to deal with the creatures that may live in that water, though.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 08:12:58 pm »

Check it all. Are you sure you didn't embark across two biomes.