Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mining drop rates and Gems  (Read 621 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Mining drop rates and Gems
« on: July 01, 2012, 06:37:59 am »

I think I've made a discovery regarding gem-related mining drop rates.

All gems occur in small clusters or individually, and have a 100% drop rate. When modding in gems in veins or clusters, I discovered that these have a 25% drop rate. In addition, all the small cluster minerals seem to have a 100% drop rate, whether or not they are gems.

This seems to indicate that minerals found in small clusters have a 100% drop rate, at least for the small clusters.

Could anyone confirm?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Mining drop rates and Gems
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 06:43:11 am »

Toady confirmed this in the mining update, I do believe.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 07:46:05 am »

One of the sharp upsides seems to be that the small clusters of stone, like Rutile, or Jet, also seem to benefit from the 100% cluster drop.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 07:50:34 am »

One of the sharp upsides seems to be that the small clusters of stone, like Rutile, or Jet, also seem to benefit from the 100% cluster drop.

This was the point. This means we actually have a chance of getting native aluminium or platinum from clusters.

Is the drop rate tied to the specific occurrence of the mineral, or to the mineral itself? If I have a cluster and a small cluster of the same mineral on the same map, will the small cluster still have a 100% drop rate?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 08:03:59 am »

The small cluster should. What about the large cluster?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 11:53:05 am »

The small cluster should. What about the large cluster?

OK let me rephrase that. Large Cluster is also known as "Cluster", and is the large mass of the mineral you find in layer stones. As far as I am aware, clusters of one and small clusters seem to drop 100% of the time. The question is whether this is still the case if the same mineral can occur in a form that only drops 25% of the time, i.e. in veins or clusters. If you have a cluster of the mineral and a small cluster of the same mineral, will the small cluster drop 25% of the time when mined, or still 100% of the time?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 02:07:56 pm »

The small cluster of the mineral would (I think). I was asking if the large cluster did.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.