Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Traps  (Read 1126 times)

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Traps
« on: August 18, 2006, 03:26:00 am »

I'm starting to have some lizard men problems.

I haven't seen any combat yet, but now on my 2nd year i've bridged the river in search of SOMETHING to make weapons out of.

I have no idea how ranged weapons and ammo works (as making bone or wood bolts seems to have no effect), and my army of 4 peasants with bronze short swords were instantly wiped out... I'm losing bad.

So how do traps work??  I've never been able to figure them out.  Can some of you give me some examples of some traps to say, protect a bottle-neck room that's the only entrance to your fortress?

Another question.  How the hell do you assign squads?  I had to pause the game for a good 5 min to order all my troops to help defend where the lizard men were.  I'd love to be able to just press x, select a squad, set a guard point, and watch a nice group of troops show up and guard.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Traps
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 03:51:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Baro:
<STRONG>
Another question.  How the hell do you assign squads?  I had to pause the game for a good 5 min to order all my troops to help defend where the lizard men were.  I'd love to be able to just press x, select a squad, set a guard point, and watch a nice group of troops show up and guard.</STRONG>

You can do exactly that. Press m to get to the military screen, and press enter over one of your swordsdwarves to select him for promotion. Then select another swordsdwarf, and he will become a member of the first dwarf's squad. After you've moved them all into the squad, just press x and you get the squad menu, and press s to station them

Now, onto traps. Traps are built out of the traps/levers menu, and the easiest are stonefall traps. All these require is some stone, and a mechanism (made at the mechanics workshop) Then just build the trap wherever you have a chokepoint on the river.

Weapons traps require you to actually have some weapons sitting around, and you can have them with more than one weapon, which makes them more deadly but also more expensive. They're placed the same way as a stonefall trap.

Anyway, I hope that helped you out. I know how much trouble invaders from the river can be, but watching them get decapitated by a giant axe blade is oh so satisfying

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 03:54:00 am »

>I have no idea how ranged weapons and ammo works (as making bone or wood bolts seems to have no effect)

Don't bother with bone bolts - they are not produced for some reason. You can definitely make wooden bolts though. You can assign weapon preferences through v-p-s, and if you have a free crossbow a dwarf will pick it up. You can make crossbows at Bowyer's workshop.

>So how do traps work?? I've never been able to figure them out. Can some of you give me some examples of some traps to say, protect a bottle-neck room that's the only entrance to your fortress?

You make traps through building interface, there is Traps/Levers submenu and there you can choose different traps. If you have spare weapons, weapon trap could be effective. Just place it in the corridor that leads into your fortress. Dwarves will avoid it. You can also make some uber-weapons for weapon traps (aka Trap Components) in Metalsmith's shop, which are probably more effectife than obsidian swords.

>Another question. How the hell do you assign squads? I had to pause the game for a good 5 min to order all my troops to help defend where the lizard men were. I'd love to be able to just press x, select a squad, set a guard point, and watch a nice group of troops show up and guard.

Press 'm' then select the squad leader by pressing enter then select other members of the squad by pressing Enter on them. Then press Space to finish assigning a squad.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 03:57:00 am »

quote:
Anyway, I hope that helped you out.

Not really. Building traps doesnt give any troubles, but how do they work ?
Do they have to be activated by levers ? Quite useless, then. Pressure plates ? Then where should the pressure plate be ? One tile from trap ? Or where ?
For good implementation of easily understood traps - see Evil Genius.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 03:58:00 am »

Traps have the activation included. I thought they might need pressure plates too, but when a snakeman walked on it he died instantly. Apparently dwarves have the foresight to include a pressure plate for no extra charge!

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 04:06:00 am »

Do traps you place last infinatly? or do they stop working after  a certian amount of uses?

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 04:07:00 am »

I'll throw that one to Toady, as I couldn't be sure I was giving the correct answer.

But in my experience, traps automatically reset themselves and last for many uses. I have yet to see one stop working.

[ August 18, 2006: Message edited by: LordNagash ]

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 04:08:00 am »

Ok just curious as to how that stone would get back up into place to fall again...?(have yet to use traps so...)

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 04:09:00 am »

Actually, I think stonefall traps are one use. I haven't actually had one go off yet, as my new fortress has been blissfully unattacked. My bad.

But weapons traps definately reset.

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 04:23:00 am »

Here's my big question...

if you make a trap, will your own guys set it off?

You see, my fisher always gets killed when he goes out the door to the cavern river.  I want some way to protect him... a trap along where the fish men always comes seems good, but my fisherdwarf will also be traveling along there too....

Speaking of combat, I wish we got little messages or could read logs of how the combat went.  Do the different weapons have different stats?

My 3 bronze sword guys with no skill in sword were killed pretty quick by the fish men.  But my wood cutter/axe man quickly dispatched them all.  Is this due to the weapons or thier lack of skill?  how do they build skill?

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 04:27:00 am »

Your own guys won't trigger the traps, fortunately.

Dwarf Chunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 05:18:00 am »

quote:
Ok just curious as to how that stone would get back up into place to fall again...?(have yet to use traps so...)

A dwarf goes there and puts the stone into place again.

Janne Joensuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 05:37:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Baro:
<STRONG>My 3 bronze sword guys with no skill in sword were killed pretty quick by the fish men.  But my wood cutter/axe man quickly dispatched them all.  Is this due to the weapons or thier lack of skill?  how do they build skill?</STRONG>

Probably their lack of skill. Units train if you have Barracks and the units are in the military. To draft someone, 'a'ctivate him (or his squad) in the 'm'ilitary menu. You make barracks with a bed, and probably with armor stands or weapon racks as well.

Janne )`*

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 05:43:00 am »

quote:
You make barracks with a bed, and probably with armor stands or weapon racks as well.  

If you make barracks with bed - EVERYONE will sleep there, not just the soldiers. Even those who have their own rooms.

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 12:59:00 pm »

Really?  I made a 4 bed barracks in a room with a weapon stand that turned the entire room into a barracks.

No one slept there, everyone slept in their own rooms.

Then i turned 2 peasants into soldiers, and they immediately went to the barracks and slept.  Between then and thier death due to lack of training to the scaily hands of lizard men, they spent almost all their time in the barracks, and no one else did.

Pages: [1] 2