Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Safely mining adamantine  (Read 13119 times)

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Safely mining adamantine
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 11:04:25 am »

Sucks to be the engraver who discovers the hole whilst in half a big obsidian caster.

After he went glassy-eyed and started chanting "All glory to the HypnoToad" I figured he was probably a total loss anyways.  I also checked the booze supply to make sure it wasn't contaminated.

The additional risk with the caster set-up of course is that water/magma flowing through it will allow clowns to pass through too.  Besides, a fast-running engraver has time depending on how quickly the caster can be activated.  (The totally paranoid set-up of course is sealing them into a safety room with some booze and a bed first.  They then go out a door, carve, and then run back in.)
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 11:05:32 am »

Frankly, the only SAFE way to mine adamantine is not at all.
Those single-tile lines come off the main mass and are outside any 4x4 square you can make in the adamantine on that level are safe to mine.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 01:45:45 pm »

Can clowns break through floodgates?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 01:56:56 pm »

Keep in mind that the danger zone that needs to be accounted for is actually a 4x4x3 volume around the 2x2 hole, since demons seem to be released even digging a vertical diagonal... since that 2x2 area is always shifting, it makes it impossible to safely mine most of the shaft. Your only hope is to either only mine the one tile wide tentacles that come off it, or just pierce it and get it over with. I recommend either whittling them to death over time with spear traps or using multiple cave ins. After killing all the initial demons, the adamantine is yours for the taking, as thenceforth demons will just casually wander into hell from the edges, and won't fly up to the fort.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 01:57:38 pm »

Can clowns break through floodgates?
Despite my desire to tease you to find out yourself...
No. They can't.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 03:23:04 pm »

Vertical diagonal? Are you talking about plain digging, or using down or up/down stairs to manoeuvre through the spire?

I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 03:32:01 pm »

Side view
Code: [Select]
.#  #
#  ##
##  #
&#  #
#& ##
## &#

Top-down view of top level
#####
.#  #
##  #
#####
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 03:56:29 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 03:53:59 pm »

The demons of Tindalos?

I'll have to check that one out.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 07:58:01 pm »

Keep in mind that the danger zone that needs to be accounted for is actually a 4x4x3 volume around the 2x2 hole, since demons seem to be released even digging a vertical diagonal... since that 2x2 area is always shifting, it makes it impossible to safely mine most of the shaft. Your only hope is to either only mine the one tile wide tentacles that come off it, or just pierce it and get it over with. I recommend either whittling them to death over time with spear traps or using multiple cave ins. After killing all the initial demons, the adamantine is yours for the taking, as thenceforth demons will just casually wander into hell from the edges, and won't fly up to the fort.

You should have posted this advice yesterday. I just found out the fun way: "What a funny shaft, shifting position every level. Wonder what happens if I dig into it...". >:(
DF: where imagination beats animation

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 08:41:50 pm »

I've found fortifications are VERY helpful, its a little extra effort, but hell,  it is worth it. Also, yes the stuff is entirely worth it, and artifact axes make love everything. I got one with spikes of iron and FB silk. 2 pictures of itself. Worth the entire fort at the time. Trust me, fortifications are incredibly fort-saving here, unil your military is ready to handle it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 08:55:48 pm »

Side view
.#  #
#  ##
##  #
&#  #
#& ##
## &#

Top-down view of top level
#####
.#  #
##  #
#####
That really shouldn't release the clowns. It doesn't form a break if you, say, construct that or dig it out, so why does it here?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 10:02:20 pm »

Hmm, yeah, I was mistaken... so disregard the diagonal nonsense :/

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 10:57:25 pm »

Dunno if anything has changed, but it used to be less trouble to just pierce HFS on purpose and get it over with than it was to try to mathemagic up which spire was the right one. If you got the dud, then you have free blue cheese. Cheap method of killing them below:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2012, 12:04:30 am »

Yeah, i think piercing through that will end up with every single dwarf except that vampire dead... For some reason I don't think my military without any legendaries, and a grand total of 15 warriors will hold out against more than just the ambushes I have been getting
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 12:13:24 am »

Yeah, i think piercing through that will end up with every single dwarf except that vampire dead... For some reason I don't think my military without any legendaries, and a grand total of 15 warriors will hold out against more than just the ambushes I have been getting

Yeah, if you fight them head on with military, you're obviously going to lose. I've sent 12 max skilled masterwork adamantine geared soldiers at them and lost due to the throw attack that they have to instakill stuff that is much smaller than them. There's hundred(s) of them.

It's only easy if you use cave ins or upright spear/spike traps. But it is *really* easy if you do.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
Pages: 1 [2] 3