Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Safely mining adamantine  (Read 13120 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Safely mining adamantine
« on: July 01, 2012, 03:55:42 am »

Warning!This could possibly end up discussing certain spoilers... I don't want to be responsible for ruining your game experience :)

Anyway, I have now found 2 seperate adamantine veins, on the same level as a magma pool which I also just found. Last time I found adamantine I had lots of !!fun!!, and it destroyed my entire fortress, so of course, I am really worried about mining it out now, as I want to at least have a chance to use the stuff before I succumb to too much more !!fun!!

I'm working on securing the area from outside influences, and moving my metal industry to the magma pool right by the adamantine, as well as craftsdwarf shops to extract it quickly, but I need a way to ensure my safety whilst maximising the amount of good stuff I get out of it
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Safely mining adamantine
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 04:03:48 am »

Dig one layer at a time? Have a large standing military? Create a stonefall trap to seal the spire in the event of a horrifying incursion?

Hatches? :D

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 04:06:55 am »

well just to avoid spoiling anything I'm just going to put this here:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 04:09:28 am »

So what I'm getting from this is there isn't any safe way to get around it, without excessive effort...

I think I read that only one of the veins on the map will release the HFS, is that true? And if so, how do you tell.

My military is way too small to do anything other than give them a bit of target practice right now.
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

The_Final_Stand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 04:14:35 am »

A hint. The passage to the circus is ALWAYS 4X4. As in, if you mine any of those 4X4 blocks, you enter the circus.

However, the passage only moves by one block in any direction between z levels.

As such, you can eliminate blocks that won't open the circus and safely mine those by either taking ones that aren't part of a 4X4 block, or by comparing to other 4X4 blocks on the lower z-level.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 04:18:20 am »

I think I read that only one of the veins on the map will release the HFS, is that true? And if so, how do you tell.

Only one will open to the candylands, but pretty much the first spire that you end up digging in too deep will trigger the invasion.

I.e.

If you dig the one on the left down to the core
Code: [Select]
O>O  OOO
OXO  OOO
OXO  OOO
OXO  OOO
OXO  OOO
OXO  OOO

Suddenly clowns

O&O  OOO
O&O  OOO
O&O  OOO
O&O  OOO
O&O  OOO
O&O  OOO

And if you dig the one on the right down to the clowns...

OOO  O&O
OOO  O&O
OOO  O&O
OOO  O&O
OOO  O&O
OOO  O&O

And you manage to clear it, digging through the other will not trigger another trainwreck from hell.

O.O  O.O
O.O  O.O
O.O  O.O
O.O  O.O
O.O  O.O
O.O  O.O

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 04:21:54 am »

So the first will trigger it, then you're safe from the other... So either way, I'm stuffed... Now for hard work figuring out what is and isn't safe

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 04:52:47 am »

Simple: build a long long 1 block wide hallway to the spoilerite, make a burrow with two or three beds, store some stone blocks, booze & food where the hallway starts and put 2 or 3 masons in the burrow. (Just in case one decides to sleep). Then dig out your spoilerite layer by layer by another burrow with only one miner. If the layer is safely dug out: dump away the spoilerite. If done: do the next one.

In case you hit the circus and clowns come over for a visit: use those masons to seal them off. You may lose the single miner, but hey, who cares.

And, if you're lucky and got more than one spire and they spawn in the other, as it happened twice for me already, then dig out the final spoilerite and be happy.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 05:22:39 am »

You could always try Aussies checkerboard. It is failsafe! If you build it right that is...
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 05:28:04 am »

what i did was prepare a big cavein-trap (v2) near the 4x4 shaft, breached it, lured the demons in and then got 120 birds with one stone. one survived but could be slewn by the axedwarves. then i sealed the spire jsut above hell and started mining.

edit: what actually happened was i wanted to lure them there to kill them with archers (archers being the bait in this case) which worked well until they ran out of ammo. then i got bored and dug the cavein-trap above the demons
lvl1:           lvl2:             lvl3:

OOOOOOOOO   OOOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOŁŁŁ  O+++++++O   O.......O
    #   #  ..Ł  O++I++++O   O.+++++.O
    # # # Ł..Ł  O+++++++O   O.+++++.O
b   # # # ŁŁŁŁ  O+++++++O   O.+++++.O
    # # # O     O+++++++O   O.+++++.O
    # # # O     O+++++++O   O.+++++.O
    g #   O     O+++++++O   O.+++++.O
    OOOOOOO     O+++++++O   O.......O
                OOOOOOOOO   OOOOOOOOO

O wall, # fortification (so they can see the...) b bait, g bridge, Ł adamantine, + floor, . open space, I support
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 05:49:46 am by nopil3os »
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 07:13:54 am »

i sealed the clowns in a 1x5 tunel and 2z levels above i created a cavein , it colapsed the roof in the tunel and killed most of the clowns (2 of them were swimming in the magma sea , but 1 magma crab killed them) .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 08:04:12 am »

Well, I'm slowly mining away the edges, with a few failsafes in place. Loving this stuff though. One battleaxe is worth more than any of my other artifacts that weren't created with adamantine

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 08:06:40 am »

Frankly, the only SAFE way to mine adamantine is not at all.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 08:29:49 am »

So far I've followed the following process with the spires.

1. Once located (using via caverns or Magma Sea) I approach and mine around the outside, proceeding up and down the column as well.  Access to each spire has a separate sub-tunnel with some narrow bottlenecks, multiple doors, and usually a cave-in trap as an emergency seal.  The doors are simply to slow things down and give masons a shot at walling things off.

2. On each level, once excavated, the vein is analyzed to see where the potential "clown vent" is.  1-wide "strings" can be mined right away, and probably were during the excavation process.  Analysis may indicate that there in no chance of a vent on a given level.  In that case the entire spire above that point is now safe to mine out.

3. If adamantine strands are still needed than a location is picked partway down a spire, smoothed, and then a fortification carved to check whether a vent is there.  Said location is almost fully walled off first, and further precautions for quick sealing put in place.  If the vent is not present; e.g. the 4x4 is solid at this point than the entire spire is safe to mine out above this point.  (One sealing option is an obsidian mixer, which with luck might seal the vent itself as well as the holes just dug*.)

* - Two fortifications carved from either side at the same time.  One has a sealed water reservoir ready to run through it. The other has magma.  If a vent is there then open the two reservoirs and hopefully they mix well enough to make a seal.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 10:56:03 am »

Sucks to be the engraver who discovers the hole whilst in half a big obsidian caster.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2 3