Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28

Author Topic: What is the best...Film?  (Read 30056 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best...Film?
« Reply #390 on: July 25, 2012, 01:29:46 pm »

Any Titan AE love?
Love maybe not, but fondness certainly.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 25, 2012, 01:35:13 pm »

That's one movie where I seriously felt a bit ill after watching it. So bad. Dull/annoying characters, dull plot, silly ending. I have no love for Titan AE. At all.

But don't let my worthless opinion taint yours, if ya'll like it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 25, 2012, 02:02:59 pm »

Pulp Fiction anyone? Tarantino's best moment?
This is a blank sig.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 25, 2012, 02:48:21 pm »

I'm not sure if I think Kill Bill or Pulp Fiction is Tarantino's best film. It's a really tough choice.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 25, 2012, 03:00:55 pm »

The Iron Giant. So good.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 25, 2012, 03:10:09 pm »

Oh, Toy Story, of course! How could I forget that?! ::)

I remember watching number 3 for the first time as a mid-flight movie and bursting into embarassing tears on the plane at the ending. :-\ Good thing I didn't have anyone seated next to me...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 25, 2012, 03:13:42 pm »

Be proud of those manly tears.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 25, 2012, 03:15:15 pm »

I'm not sure if I think Kill Bill or Pulp Fiction is Tarantino's best film. It's a really tough choice.

Kill Bill is too far over the top for me - if it had a little less violence, and less often, it would have veen far more of an effective tool as part of the film. As it is, another faceless mook getting sworded (or even a main plot character) kind of loses its impact.
This is a blank sig.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 25, 2012, 04:46:43 pm »

I'm going to second Saving Private Ryan.

The best film that hasn't been released is Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 25, 2012, 06:11:51 pm »

Stalingrad and Das Boot were pretty great, but then they're German so I suppose they don't count. Gonna say Sherlock Holmes (the first, though the second wasn't all that bad).

The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 25, 2012, 11:26:13 pm »

What's wrong with the films being German? Nothing wrong with foreign films. Seven Samurai was mentioned earlier.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 26, 2012, 12:08:14 am »

Anyone else seen Mind Game?

I don't know that I would nominate it objectively as a Best Movie Ever, but it's definitely towards the top of my personal list.  It's... hard to even describe.  I found it incredibly innovative, unique, and deeply moving.  It genuinely shocks you with completely unexpected WTF plot twists and the existentially uplifting power of it left me more emotionally stunned than any other film I've ever seen.

This quote especially has stuck in my head ever since.  It's not the most articulate thing ever, but in-context it had a major impact and was very well delivered.

So what! I wanna get out! 'Cos there's so much out there! So many different people, living different lives! Incredibly good guys, bad guys... Folks completely different from us! It's one huge melting pot! See, it's not about success, dying in the streets, who's better, who's not! I just want to be a part of it! I realized that even if I've no connections, no talent, even if I'm one big loser, I want to use my hands and feet to think and move, to shape my own life! We can just die here or we can try, see what we've got!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 26, 2012, 03:33:43 am »

Some films are so bad they are brilliant, in a MSC3000 way. I submit the following: Space Mutiny (warning - TVTropes!)
This is a blank sig.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 26, 2012, 07:14:05 am »

Anyone else seen Mind Game?
Yeah, I saw it. It was incredibly innovative, although a bit too over the top and zany for my tastes. I suppose I find it easier to invest in characters in more subdued environment.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 26, 2012, 08:05:11 am »

Some films are so bad they are brilliant, in a MSC3000 way. I submit the following: Space Mutiny (warning - TVTropes!)
Oh lord...the origin of Big McLargeHuge. That really is a pretty awful film.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28