Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28

Author Topic: What is the best...Film?  (Read 30136 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best...Vegetable?
« Reply #150 on: July 01, 2012, 11:10:04 pm »

The Ancient Romans actually ate vegetables like ... Potatoes raw.
I find this unlikely, given that potatoes are native to the American continents.

Then what am I thinking of? ohh well :P

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 01, 2012, 11:10:42 pm »

Beats me! A lot of European cuisine came from New World exploitation. Imagine Italian cuisine before tomatoes!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 01, 2012, 11:12:50 pm »

In general, nothing about modern man is better than ancient man. Same gene pool, really. Their capacity for height, or muscularity, or for intellect is equal to ours. The only difference is better average nutrition, and even that is just on average.
Then perhaps you can explain why average heights were so lower 150 years ago.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 01, 2012, 11:14:33 pm »

Imagine Italian cuisine before tomatoes!

Well a lot of delicious foods used to be nasty or subpar.

French Toast and a Panini are both foods meant to make nasty bread good.

in French Toast's case it is meant to make stale icky bread good.

In a Panini's case it is meant to make soggy icky bread good.

Probably general overall nutrician. Better average nutrition is huge. If anything Troll was downplaying the significance of it.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #154 on: July 01, 2012, 11:19:34 pm »

In general, nothing about modern man is better than ancient man. Same gene pool, really. Their capacity for height, or muscularity, or for intellect is equal to ours. The only difference is better average nutrition, and even that is just on average.
One thing modern man has better than ancient man is the amassing of great hordes of external knowledge that can be passed down easily and accurately. Having the ability to quickly form and edit knowledge outside our genes and oral teaching is a great advantage. O_o 'S as much a part of us as our genes.

As an aside, trying to imagine Korean cuisine before the red pepper is almost impossible :P

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 01, 2012, 11:22:06 pm »

Because they were eating mainly grains and potatoes back then. Average heights were different because average diets were different. In just two decades, in China today, the meat consumption has increased 20 times, and many Chinese young men are now topping six foot easily, while their fathers were 5'6". Height is nutrition, not genetics. We all had the ability to be six foot.

Populations in 1850 had grown beyond the ability to feed with meat and dairy products. Cows and sheep are the only option before you discover farming, but they need larger fields to support their grazing. Once you can farm, you can grow more nutritionally-inferior but energy-dense foods per an acre, capable of supporting more people but less healthily. You get a large population of short people.

I move that we change this thread to "Best protein source" btw. For our health.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 01, 2012, 11:23:37 pm »

Height is nutrition, not genetics.

Its both, don't underestimate the power of genetics.

Though I will mostly say that nutrician, unless hormones in the food get involved, works to not hamper your end resulting height.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 01, 2012, 11:25:03 pm »

I just went to Wikipedia and had some mad knowledge dropped on me.

Rhubarb is usually considered to be a vegetable; however, in the United States, a New York court decided in 1947 that since it was used in the United States as a fruit, it was to be counted as a fruit for the purposes of regulations and duties.

Rhubarb is, apparently, both the best fruit and the best vegetable.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 01, 2012, 11:27:59 pm »

-snip-
Do you know they're the same species? :3
Yeah, along with brussels sprouts another of my favourites.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 01, 2012, 11:29:29 pm »

Oh, rhubarb
Stewed rhubarb, spread on graham crackers
this is not a haiku

But it's good anyways.

Also, the whole thing with new world plants coming over was part of what was called the Columbian exchange, if I remember right. A good time for cuisine, probably not the best time for the people who were actually involved.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 11:33:04 pm by varnish »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2012, 11:31:13 pm »

this is not a haiku

It certainly isn't.

Besides I think Haiku's are needlessly arbitary. They are more like poetic stunts then a true artistic form in my mind.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 01, 2012, 11:35:45 pm »

Until I saw the striking difference between Chinese fathers and sons, I used to err on the side of genetics, too, but now I favor nutrition more. For basically all of history, we've thought of Chinese as short people, but there are even plenty of Chinese girls taller than their fathers now.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2012, 11:36:26 pm »

One might note the vast difference in height between North and South Koreans.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 01, 2012, 11:37:46 pm »

Until I saw the striking difference between Chinese fathers and sons, I used to err on the side of genetics, too, but now I favor nutrition more. For basically all of history, we've thought of Chinese as short people, but there are even plenty of Chinese girls taller than their fathers now.

That doesn't negate my point. It is both.

Genetics determine your maximum possible height. Nutrician determines how close to that you will get. It isn't the only factor but remember that in my family where everyone eats the same things we have heights from 5'2'' to 6'4''

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 01, 2012, 11:46:31 pm »

I like carrots. Also corn.

Does corn count as a vegetable?
I'm counting it as a vegetable.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28