Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weapon bins are invisible to trade?  (Read 1262 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weapon bins are invisible to trade?
« on: June 30, 2012, 11:36:17 pm »

So I had a few weapon bins in a weapon/armour stockpile that contained large serrated metal discs that I use for trade. When the caravan came and I wanted to move the goods to the trade depot, neither the "weapon bin" nor the "large serrated metal disc" were visible in the list.
As soon as I took the discs out of the bins, however (by moving them over to a stockpile that did not accept bins), they became visible again.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
Feeling down? Click Here!

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon bins are invisible to trade?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 11:45:31 pm »

Has your mayor/count/duke/baron/king issued any mandates? If they have, the default trade option is to cull all prohibited items, and those bins may have been carrying some prohibited items (eg. a sword in a weapon bin).
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 12:24:04 am »

Ah, yes, that might have been the case. I don't really pay attention to any mandates...
Feeling down? Click Here!

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 11:47:24 am »

The generally accepted solution there is to have (2) stockpiles.

1) The first, a moderate sized one, which pulls from your workshops, the trade depot, etc which accepts everything of a particular class of good (such as all crafts, or all weapons or all armor).

2) Then, have smaller piles setup next to it which pull/take from the first pile.  These smaller piles should be highly specialized (rock rings vs rock earrings vs metal earrings vs bone bracelets).  That way, when your leader issues mandates, fewer bins get culled from the trade depot menu.

Note that you can skip stockpile #1, but then you have to wire up all of the smaller piles to all of the workshops which can produce goods of that type.  Sometimes it's easier to have a "feeder" stockpile which does the pulls from the workshops and then forward it along to a bunch of smaller piles.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 11:49:47 am »

You sure could set up a complicated system.

Or trade other stuff
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 12:16:54 pm »

Or you can just set the haul goods to depot menu's settings to ignore mandates. I think they default keybind is 'm'.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 12:26:09 pm »

Or you can just set the haul goods to depot menu's settings to ignore mandates. I think they default keybind is 'm'.

but then you need either a good justice system in place or watch your baron go berserk.....

you know, good idea
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 12:36:00 pm »

but then you need either a good justice system in place or watch your baron go berserk.....

you know, good idea

Doesn't the export violation only happen if you actually trade the items in question? So if a lone export-forbidden sword is stopping the whole bin from being hauled to the Depot, just set the hauling to ignore mandates, but be careful not to trade the item?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 12:49:58 pm »

you know, good idea

Doesn't the export violation only happen if you actually trade the items in question? So if a lone export-forbidden sword is stopping the whole bin from being hauled to the Depot, just set the hauling to ignore mandates, but be careful not to trade the item?

taking into acount the average human... death sentence. Taking into account the average DF player, drive baron mad before execution. Like I said, good idea.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 07:06:08 pm »

Essentially correct. I think the trade screen also shows you goods which should not be traded by highlighting them in purple.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."