Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Confused about current dwarven justice  (Read 2069 times)

person012345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Confused about current dwarven justice
« on: June 30, 2012, 10:31:53 pm »

When my dwarves witness and report a crime that is anything other than murder (although people still get jailed for violation of production mandates, that's too grave a crime to just let go as opposed to mere assault), it doesn't appear on my justice screen and my sheriff/CotG doesn't seem to give a damn. Is this expected behaviour? Do they deal with it on their own and I've merely missed people being put in jail for it? No punishment is listed on the justice screen apart from ones for murder and production mandates either and I'm pretty sure I've never seen anyone in jail for anything else in the current version. Or is this a bug, because I can't find it on the bug tracker?

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
Re: Confused about current dwarven justice
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 10:44:43 pm »

Hrm... I think the expected behavior is that the Sheriff or the Captain of the Guard will automatically dole out punishments for anything other than vampire murder (which you have to accuse someone). From my past experience they always automatically dole out punishment with first a jail and then beating (sometimes lethal) if a crime occurs.

But now that you mention it I had several dwarfs tantrum in my fort and I never saw anything come of it. Now that I check my fort I don't have a hammer selected but I do have a captain of the guard. The tantrums (and furniture they destroyed) never showed up on the justice screen so I don't know if its the version or because I don't have a hammerer that this is the reason they never got punished. I'd have to experiment to find out, but at least in my version tantruming does not seem to cause jail time or other justice.

Try assigning a hammerer and see if that changes the behavior. Otherwise it might just be the way things are going.

That said, my mandates led to lethal beatings though. Whoops.

person012345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 11:06:17 pm »

Hmm, you're right, I don't have a hammerer assigned, I'll try that.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 07:14:13 am »

Check the justice screen. Normal murders also seem to require you to choose the one you think is guilty. (Insane dwarves get off easy, for some reason.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

person012345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 10:25:53 am »

Check the justice screen.
Without a hammerer assigned I know that it doesn't list anything except murders and violation of production orders, and even with a hammerer there doesn't seem to be anything else, despite the beginnings of a tantrum spiral (although I don't know for a fact that there had been any other crimes committed since that assignment and then DF crashed on me so I abandoned that fort). I noted this a while ago actually, and it has been the same in numerous forts, I've never seen any punishment for anything other than murder or production violation since the version of DF where you have to convict dwarfs of murders (and I think it's any murder).

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 11:31:27 am »

funny, I just asked this same question today.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=112556.0

Hammerer = no effect for tantrum'ers

I had just recently set up a squad of "captain of the guard" to patrol the burrows, but even being around a tantrum'er via station orders, no crimes are reported.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 12:10:52 pm by thistleknot »

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 06:56:00 pm »

The crimes also have to be reported to someone.  If you didn't have a Sheriff or Captain of the Guard appointed when the crime happened, then any witnesses will have no one to report the crime to.  (And yes, tantrummers will get punishment if you have a justice noble appointed.)

If you do decide to appoint a noble for great justice, make sure you build some jails first, or you may lose some dwarves to an overzealous hammerer.

See the Justice and Jail entries at the wiki for details.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 06:57:45 pm by HiEv »
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 10:22:30 am »

I've always had a noble for justice when my tantrumer's started.  I lost a fort that way, and decided this time I would have the jail setup (I have about 13 chains set to justice, with beds, and food, and a chair next to it) with nobles at the first sign of tantrummer's.

Sure enough, 20 dwarf's later... no crimes reported (btw, I read the wiki entries you posted twice to ensure I had things setup right for this fort, which is still running btw.  Got about 30 dwarf's, and 30 coffins).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 10:24:48 am by thistleknot »

person012345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 07:22:36 pm »

The crimes were reported. I watched a whole bunch of dwarfs have the "report crime" job, and watched them as they all walked to the captain of the guard to report it. They did so but he was apparently too busy doing captain-of-the-guard things to give a rats ass about the guy running around punching people and breaking doors.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 08:38:24 pm »

The crimes were reported. I watched a whole bunch of dwarfs have the "report crime" job, and watched them as they all walked to the captain of the guard to report it. They did so but he was apparently too busy doing captain-of-the-guard things to give a rats ass about the guy running around punching people and breaking doors.

Yeah, if your justice noble is busy then people can't report crime to him/her.  Make sure that the noble isn't in the military constantly training or stuck doing one job too long.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

person012345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 02:15:07 pm »

Yeah, if your justice noble is busy then people can't report crime to him/her.  Make sure that the noble isn't in the military constantly training or stuck doing one job too long.
Does that include being on a break or drinking, or doing anything at all?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 03:36:59 pm »

If you do decide to appoint a noble for great justice, make sure you build some jails first, or you may lose some dwarves to an overzealous hammerer.
Last I checked, a lack of justice restraints makes the Hammerer completely inert (they can't execute criminals without first chaining them up) - without jails, all punishments will be reduced to "Beating" (which will probably end up being lethal, but for the wrong reasons).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 07:58:53 pm »

Does that include being on a break or drinking, or doing anything at all?

Well, yes, but as long as s/he doesn't take too long and there aren't any "higher priority" jobs for him/her to do once s/he is done, then you should be OK.  I'm not sure what the "priority level" of hearing a crime report is vs. other things though.

Last I checked, a lack of justice restraints makes the Hammerer completely inert (they can't execute criminals without first chaining them up) - without jails, all punishments will be reduced to "Beating" (which will probably end up being lethal, but for the wrong reasons).

Ah, I was thinking that it was the hammerer who administrated the beatings.  So it's the sheriff/captain of the guard who administers beatings if you don't have a jail chain/rope set up?  It seems... odd to have the hammerer do nothing even when beatings can be given out as punishment.