Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Taming in worldgen  (Read 1382 times)

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Taming in worldgen
« on: June 30, 2012, 09:53:23 pm »

Looking through legends ive noticed things like dwarven civilizations taming voracious cave crawlers, elk birds and the like but when embarking with said civilizations, those animals are not available for choosing.

Furthermore, upon embarking their knowledge level of thecreature only shows up as "general familiarity".
Is there a reason for this other than to prevent players access to Giant Cave spiders upon embark?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 05:49:11 pm by Friendstrange »

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taming in worldgen
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 12:57:44 am »

Well, if the knowledge is domesticated, then in theory, you could bring them with you on embark, bu its just general familiarity, as in some guy tamed 1 or they just know a bit about said creature, but dont hae them as pets or livestock. Catch my drift?
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 12:23:08 pm »

Yeah I understand that, but when it says "he tamed the voracious cave crawlers of the deep", you kinda expect there to be a "Domesticated" level of knowledge and a cave crawler to be available for your use, even if at very high embark point cost.

I mean, a single human tames grizzly bears and all of their civ can ride war grizzly bears. Same with elves and goblins. Why should dwarves be excluded from this?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 01:55:29 pm »

Because this feature hasn't been fully implemented, apparently?
This explains why I haven't gotten any neat cave pets from traders.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 02:04:06 pm »

Traders bring all animals that are "domesticated" by your civ, gobbos now usually domesticate cave dragons; sometimes they will bring them as mounts.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 02:18:57 pm »

Yes yes, I know about all that. Gobbos and their mounts which are tamed by special clowns. Elfs and their animals, which are tamed by the princess. Humans and their war animals which are tamed by the general. I know.

Im just wondering why animals domesticated by dwarven generals during worldgen arent considered domesticated/form part of your civīs taming knowledge.

Is it because the game is hardcoded to only accept the same common farm animals as domesticated while always leaving the cavern 1 critters as "some knowledge"?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 03:16:27 pm »

It's entirely possible you embarked as the wrong civ. I've had dwarven civs domesticate elephants and GCS and been able to buy them (GCS are VERY expensive. Went with elephants instead.)  But on the plus side, the general familiarty is still the door to domestication, so you might be able to capture and breed them and spread the cavernbeasts to the world through trade!

Kinda sucks when you end up with ones that for some reason or another domesticated camels and racoons...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 03:33:37 pm »

Elephants starve. Poor choice.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 03:45:46 pm »

Not when you mod out grazing in all useful exotics. Whish is basically anything that can be trained for battle. Anything else I just kinda gave the finger and buture after I buy them....

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 03:48:09 pm »

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 03:57:42 pm »

It's entirely possible you embarked as the wrong civ. I've had dwarven civs domesticate elephants and GCS and been able to buy them.
Pretty sure it was the same civ. The Massive Pillars.
The general who did the domestication eventually turned into a vampire and fled, so that might have had something to do with it. Must the domesticator remain in the civ for the animals to keep being there?

You sure you didnt modify elephants or GCS in any way?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 04:01:40 pm »

I modded out grazing.a pair of War Elephants can break at least ambushes alone if they lack peircing weapons, and with dogs to back them up the first one that showed up was basically turned into housepaint or chew toys (Smashed into walls while fighting the dogs or killed by bitten throats and bleedouts.)

The spiders I only modded to be breedable.

And yes, the goblins show us that if they guy who did the domesticating is killed, then the civ will lose access to the animals he tamed, so the guy who domesticated the critters becoming essentially a civ enemy may have barred direct access from home.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 04:23:05 pm »

And yes, the goblins show us that if they guy who did the domesticating is killed, then the civ will lose access to the animals he tamed, so the guy who domesticated the critters becoming essentially a civ enemy may have barred direct access from home.
That explains the lack of Voracious Cave Crawlers then. But checking the legends, another general (this one currently alive and well) tamed rutherers, and those dont show up in the embark screen either.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 04:27:47 pm »

That I can't explain. May just be a minor bug or a balancing thing or something, though cavern creatures are very expensive, so you may not have seen them because you didn't have the points.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 04:39:03 pm »

The reason they don't show up is because they spawn in the second or third caverns; animals and plants have to have UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:1 to be available upon embark or via caravan. Change that 2:3 to 1:3 and they'll show up.
Pages: [1] 2