Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best use of platinum?  (Read 6545 times)

gyerfry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best use of platinum?
« on: June 30, 2012, 09:09:07 pm »

I have a small amount of platinum.  Should this go towards edged weapons, blunt weapons, or armour?  I want to get the best use out of it until I can find more.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best use of platinum?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 09:17:01 pm »

I'm pretty sure you can't use platinum for armor or weapons.  If you can it's best used for blunt weapons.  The main point of it is that it is very heavy and very valuable,  It makes nice statues to put in noble's rooms.

gyerfry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 09:18:50 pm »

Huh, you're right.  That seems like a waste but alright.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 09:20:34 pm »

Statues, tables, chairs, a cage to put an animal the noble likes in, it's good for that sort of thing.  Oh, or a chain for in jail to keep priosners happy.

gyerfry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 09:26:06 pm »

Okay, thank you!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 09:34:43 pm »

Keep some around in case of mood. Even lead makes a decent edged artifact weapon, because edged attacks that don't penetrate armor turn into sorta weaker blunt attacks (unless I read something that made sense but has no grounding in DF). I think platinum is even sharper and denser than lead, so it should make for a good artifact weapon. Also a really stylin' one.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Berlioz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 10:18:25 pm »

Platinum has one main characteristic, it is expensive. Dwarves like expensive stuff, so you can either use it to craft furniture to make your dwarves happy or turn it into crafts to make you filthy rich. Non-encrusted platinum crafts can cost 7000 each, encrust it by a skilled gem setter and you can trade a single piece (!) against a whole caravan.