Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Creeper Cavern: 0.3 released! Go play Caverncrept!  (Read 19902 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Creeper Cavern: Go sign up for our tentative succession game!
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2012, 09:19:13 pm »

Use a skill in the reaction, and require everyone who uses the workshop to have at least Novice level in the skill to use the workshop via profiles? Or do I not get what you're saying?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2012, 09:22:07 pm »

Use a skill in the reaction, and require everyone who uses the workshop to have at least Novice level in the skill to use the workshop via profiles? Or do I not get what you're saying?
No, that's it, just using a skill in the reaction.
My wooden badge was delicious.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2012, 11:38:28 am »

Ideas:

--Diamond stuff. According to the Minecraft wiki, diamond gems can be made into swords, shovels, picks, hoes, axes, blocks, armor, jukeboxes, and enchanting tables. Those last two can likely be left out, unless you want to include basic magic of some kind in this mod (in which case add books and the enchanting table), shovels and picks are unneeded, and the rest should be added. Emeralds can also be turned into blocks, and gem blocks can be turned back into gems.
--Rename wooden blocks to planks. Look in the inorganic_other file, and add the tag that makes earthenware blocks called bricks on wood. Just a stylistic thing.
--Make creeper explosions a fatal attack (which must either destroy the creeper's body in the process or turn the creeper into a non-creeper to function), and give them an item-corpse of gunpowder. Add TNT--there was a creeper mod a while back that had TNT.
--Gather snowballs (snow melts at warmer temperatures, so it's completely useless in warm areas/seasons without snow). Turn snowballs into snow blocks.
--If you add books, add bookshelves, which should be a fairly valuable tool that can be placed as a custom "workshop." Actual work done there optional.
--Sugar cane. Kinda like aboveground sweet pods, you seem pretty good with plants so I won't waste time explaining how to do this. If you implement books, these or rope reeds should be able to be turned into paper for the books.
--Reclaiming resources from various kinds of blocks--turning blocks to stone (for blocks to a stone, remember), and similarly with metals and gems.
--Bone meal, which can be made from bones. Also a reaction to turn it into potash, so it can be used as fertiliser.

That's mostly from skimming the Crafting page of the Minecraft wiki. Disregard anything you think is stupid, redundant, or otherwise not worth doing.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2012, 05:15:46 pm »

Ideas:

--Diamond stuff. According to the Minecraft wiki, diamond gems can be made into swords, shovels, picks, hoes, axes, blocks, armor, jukeboxes, and enchanting tables. Those last two can likely be left out, unless you want to include basic magic of some kind in this mod (in which case add books and the enchanting table), shovels and picks are unneeded, and the rest should be added. Emeralds can also be turned into blocks, and gem blocks can be turned back into gems.
--Rename wooden blocks to planks. Look in the inorganic_other file, and add the tag that makes earthenware blocks called bricks on wood. Just a stylistic thing.
--Make creeper explosions a fatal attack (which must either destroy the creeper's body in the process or turn the creeper into a non-creeper to function), and give them an item-corpse of gunpowder. Add TNT--there was a creeper mod a while back that had TNT.
--Gather snowballs (snow melts at warmer temperatures, so it's completely useless in warm areas/seasons without snow). Turn snowballs into snow blocks.
--If you add books, add bookshelves, which should be a fairly valuable tool that can be placed as a custom "workshop." Actual work done there optional.
--Sugar cane. Kinda like aboveground sweet pods, you seem pretty good with plants so I won't waste time explaining how to do this. If you implement books, these or rope reeds should be able to be turned into paper for the books.
--Reclaiming resources from various kinds of blocks--turning blocks to stone (for blocks to a stone, remember), and similarly with metals and gems.
--Bone meal, which can be made from bones. Also a reaction to turn it into potash, so it can be used as fertiliser.

That's mostly from skimming the Crafting page of the Minecraft wiki. Disregard anything you think is stupid, redundant, or otherwise not worth doing.
Diamond stuff: I'm working on it. Currently, I'm making a Diamond Crafting workshop that uses gem cutting as a skill - hopefully you should be able to create diamond everything after the diamonds have been processed there (diamond is candy's evil twin, they're coloured the same although diamond should probably form less edge and have realistic density). Now, I think the only way to do this is to add "Diamond" to the metals list for use in the forge, but that's somewhat fitting - since the smelter seems to run off reactions, making a separate workshop for a separate reaction (diamonds -> majickle craft-diamonds) is all that's needed. For now.

Planks/blocks: That recent sawmill mod sounds like a great way to integrate this, especially since in Minecraft (for you not in the know :P ) you can turn one log into four buildable planks. I'll talk to that guy about it.

Gunpowder itemcorpse: I considered this one. But I don't know if you can have more than one itemcorpse, since creepers already drop creepite (flashboiling rock, also used for ghast fireballs). The ghast fireballs was just me wanting to recycle my explodey material, it could be changed, but I don't know about multiple drops (or if the gunpowder would just get destroyed).

Gather snowballs: I don't know how, but this could be fun. Maybe make "snowballs" a tundra-only plant that only grows in winter. Then you could either use them as hilariously weak crossbow ammo or craft them into the also hilarious Snow Ballista Bolts. That sounds tricky and annoying, so I'll have to look for better solutions.

Books: Well, we have our custom-reaction blank game-object books. So I have an idea not involving those!
- "Writer's Office" workshop, requires some crafty labour
- Convert large amounts of paper into books, along with some leather for binding
- Books can be converted into bookshelf furniture (can you add new furniture?) at the same workshop.
- Or they can be used as a valuable trade good!
Alternatively, all the workshop does is make the blank books that necromancers already write.

Sugar cane: Definitely, they should be convertible into sugar and syrup as well, and be used for paper (perhaps at yet another custom workshop, the Pulp Mill, which can also use wood)

Reclaiming stuff: Oooh, blocks. I like the idea of turning Minecrafty materials into buildable blocks, valuable blocks that you could use to raise the value of stuff that requires blocks (screw pumps, wells?).

Bone meal: Yes please! That should be fairly easy using pre-existing bones. It would be done at the Soap Maker's workshop because I'm sick of thinking up all these custom workshops :P

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2012, 05:25:12 pm »

Only one corpse item.

Bone meal, it must be noted, is already considered in vanilla DF, just not manufacturable.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2012, 09:01:33 pm »

Ideas:
-snip-
Diamond stuff: I'm working on it. Currently, I'm making a Diamond Crafting workshop that uses gem cutting as a skill - hopefully you should be able to create diamond everything after the diamonds have been processed there (diamond is candy's evil twin, they're coloured the same although diamond should probably form less edge and have realistic density). Now, I think the only way to do this is to add "Diamond" to the metals list for use in the forge, but that's somewhat fitting - since the smelter seems to run off reactions, making a separate workshop for a separate reaction (diamonds -> majickle craft-diamonds) is all that's needed. For now.

Planks/blocks: That recent sawmill mod sounds like a great way to integrate this, especially since in Minecraft (for you not in the know :P ) you can turn one log into four buildable planks. I'll talk to that guy about it.
Neat, my ideas are being used! Will the diamond stuff be in in time for Caverncrept?

Gunpowder itemcorpse: I considered this one. But I don't know if you can have more than one itemcorpse, since creepers already drop creepite (flashboiling rock, also used for ghast fireballs). The ghast fireballs was just me wanting to recycle my explodey material, it could be changed, but I don't know about multiple drops (or if the gunpowder would just get destroyed).
I mentioned a way to do this; if you're interested, I could go over it in more detail.

Gather snowballs: I don't know how, but this could be fun. Maybe make "snowballs" a tundra-only plant that only grows in winter. Then you could either use them as hilariously weak crossbow ammo or craft them into the also hilarious Snow Ballista Bolts. That sounds tricky and annoying, so I'll have to look for better solutions.
I was imagining that snow balls would be an ammo you could produce for free in a special workshop or something, which because of how low the melting temperature is for snow would have to be outdoors in a freezing area.

Books: Well, we have our custom-reaction blank game-object books. So I have an idea not involving those!
- "Writer's Office" workshop, requires some crafty labour
- Convert large amounts of paper into books, along with some leather for binding
- Books can be converted into bookshelf furniture (can you add new furniture?) at the same workshop.
- Or they can be used as a valuable trade good!
Alternatively, all the workshop does is make the blank books that necromancers already write.
re:Furniture: I think I mentioned this. Technically, no, but you CAN add new tools, have custom workshops require those tools, and use the workshops to raise the value of a room. As to the rest: Pretty good.

Sugar cane: Definitely, they should be convertible into sugar and syrup as well, and be used for paper (perhaps at yet another custom workshop, the Pulp Mill, which can also use wood)
Again, it might make sense to have rope reed be paper-able as well.

Reclaiming stuff: Oooh, blocks. I like the idea of turning Minecrafty materials into buildable blocks, valuable blocks that you could use to raise the value of stuff that requires blocks (screw pumps, wells?).
Most "minecrafty" stuff can already be turned into blocks--wood, stone, metal...well, that's about everything except gems. Minecraft blocks can usually also be turned back into raw materials.

Bone meal: Yes please! That should be fairly easy using pre-existing bones. It would be done at the Soap Maker's workshop because I'm sick of thinking up all these custom workshops :P
Heh, good point.

Only one corpse item.
Except by the workaround where the creepite explosion is an attack which has a syndrome that turns the creeper into a creature that will die quickly and leave no corpse--say, an "exploded creeper" which has all of its bodily materials evaporate at a temperature one degree below HOMEOTHERM, and then the gunpowder is the normal itemcorpse. Sadly, it takes away explosions-on-death...

Bone meal, it must be noted, is already considered in vanilla DF, just not manufacturable.
Know how to make a custom reaction manufacture it?
Sig

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2012, 04:02:58 pm »

Everything will try to be in time for Caverncrept, especially the diamond stuff (I worked out a new "metal" with realistic values, although as far as bend/shear goes it's just like candy - it's because Minecraft diamonds are magic).

WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT [refined] DIAMONDS
  • They turn directly into gas at high temperatures
  • They're worth twice as much as platinum
  • They're as versatile as adamantine except you can't make thread/wafers/clothes out of them
  • They're always blue

Mine candy indeed.

The Diamond Refinery workshop is done, and requires a cut gem to make :D I used Workshop Draw to make it so it looks extra-nice. Now your gem cutters can be even more useful!

EDIT: And sugarcane is done now, in the overworld it looks like .

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2012, 04:05:43 pm »

Awesome!

Is it "One normal diamond gets turned into one bar of diamond stuff," or "One gem gets turned into one bar of diamond stuff," or what?
Sig

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2012, 04:19:01 pm »

Awesome!

Is it "One normal diamond gets turned into one bar of diamond stuff," or "One gem gets turned into one bar of diamond stuff," or what?
Only cut diamonds should be able to be converted into refined diamond, or else we'll be able to convert +cut turquoises+ into a material with a value multiplier of 80. Hopefully this is possible.

EDIT: It is. :D
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 04:29:13 pm by GoombaGeek »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2012, 05:28:35 pm »

Cut gems lack quality.
Sig

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2012, 05:36:05 pm »

Cut gems lack quality.
That was just an attempt at funny, I like putting the plus tags around game objects to denote that they are game objects (and probably somewhat useless). Go figure :P

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2012, 01:39:54 pm »

blah blah blah testing is underway

Anyway, here's some exciting news!
- I'm allowed to include JollyBastion as a graphics version, and it's got all the tile edits I wanted (I did them myself, just to allay confusion)!
- The Diamond Refinery's "refine diamonds" reaction works! It needs more testing to find out if it ONLY uses diamonds (instead of normal small gems), but other than that it should be excellent.
- Sugarcanes work properly!
- So do pumpkins!

I might hold off on the golems for 0.3, though.

Speaking of .3, Minecraft 1.3 is getting released on August 1 and oh god it's probably going to add tons of stuff I'll feel obligated to implement.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2012, 08:43:20 pm »

"Probably only uses diamonds..."
Did you use a REACTION_CLASS?

Oh, and another idea: Perhaps, once you implement all of the interesting stuff, you could have a "refine gems" reaction to replace the refine diamonds one, and give each gem one of a few refined-gem "metals." I'm not sure how many of the refined-gems you'd need, though...
Sig

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2012, 09:47:38 pm »

Oh yeah, here's my diamond material in case you wanted to know >_>

Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:DIAMOND_METAL]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:METAL_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:diamond]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:molten diamond]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling diamond]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:7:7:1]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:50]
[SPEC_HEAT:710]
[MELTING_POINT:10968]  placeholder values, carbon's melting point is pressure based
[BOILING_POINT:10973]
[ITEMS_HARD]
[ITEMS_METAL]
[ITEMS_BARRED]
[ITEMS_SCALED]
[SOLID_DENSITY:35000] more accurate than it looks :P
[LIQUID_DENSITY:35300]
[MOLAR_MASS:12010]
[IMPACT_YIELD:2699480] 
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:5398960]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:829]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:2699480]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:5398960]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:829] Bulk modulus 442
[TENSILE_YIELD:771280]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:1542560]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:363] Young's modulus 1050
[TORSION_YIELD:771280]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:1542560]
[TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:1101] Shear modulus 478
[SHEAR_YIELD:771280]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:1542560]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:1101]
[BENDING_YIELD:771280]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:1542560]
[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:363]
[MAX_EDGE:10000]

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2012, 11:51:02 pm »

"Probably only uses diamonds..."
Did you use a REACTION_CLASS?

Oh, and another idea: Perhaps, once you implement all of the interesting stuff, you could have a "refine gems" reaction to replace the refine diamonds one, and give each gem one of a few refined-gem "metals." I'm not sure how many of the refined-gems you'd need, though...
REACTION_CLASS?

Oh no I think I missed something

Anyway, I finally got around to adding dye plants. And slimes still melt. So I will post their raws here.

[CREATURE:SLIME]
   [DESCRIPTION:A cute and intelligent blob of goop that haunts the caverns, hopping around all day. It's known for its tenacity but can be quite dangerous, and they may be captured and trained by creepers.]
   [NAME:slime:slimes:slime]
   [CASTE_NAME:slime:slimes:slime]
   [CREATURE_TILE:254][COLOR:2:0:1]
   [PETVALUE:32]
   [FREQUENCY:110]
   [NOBONES]
   [NATURAL]
   [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
   [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM]
   [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:2:3]
   [PET_EXOTIC]
   [NO_EAT]
   [NO_DRINK]
   [CAN_LEARN]
   [MOUNT]
   [TRAINABLE]
   [EXTRAVISION]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:300:500]
   [PREFSTRING:adorable faces]
   [BODY:SLIME_BODY]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SLIME:SLIME_TEMPLATE]
   [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SLIME:SLIME_TEMPLATE]
   [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SLIME]
   [HAS_NERVES]
   [CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
   [GETS_WOUND_INFECTIONS]
   [BODY_SIZE:0:0:24000]
   [BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
   [MAXAGE:5:10]
   [ALL_ACTIVE]
   [NO_SLEEP]
   [NO_DIZZINESS]
   [HOMEOTHERM:9950] This was an attempt to chill them. It didn't work.
   [CASTE:SLIME]
      [MALE]
      [CASTE_NAME:slime:slimes:slime]
      [CHILDNAME:mini slime:mini slimes]
   [CASTE:SLIMETTE]
      [FEMALE]
      [CASTE_NAME:slimette:slimettes:slimette]
      [CHILDNAME:mini slimette:mini slimettes]
      [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
   [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SLIME]
      [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:GREEN:1]
         [TLCM_NOUN:body:SINGULAR]
   [ATTACK:SHOVE:CHILD_BODYPART_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD]
      [ATTACK_SKILL:WRESTLING]
      [ATTACK_VERB:shove:shoves]
      [ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:70]
      [ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
   [SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL]
      [MAT_FIXED_TEMP:9940] This was also an attempt to chill them so they wouldn't melt. It didn't work.

And now, their custom tissue!

[TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SLIME_TEMPLATE]
   [SCARS]
   [TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SPONGE]
   [RELATIVE_THICKNESS:1]
   [HEALING_RATE:200]
   [VASCULAR:2]
   [PAIN_RECEPTORS:5]
   [CONNECTS]
   [INSULATION:200]
   [TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]

While they don't melt just by existing in the arena, they will turn into gloopy puddles in Warm biomes and even titanic slimes melt after one creeper explosion, making them absolutely pathetic enemies.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8