Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Creeper Cavern: 0.3 released! Go play Caverncrept!  (Read 19929 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: Creeper Cavern: Version 0.2.1 released, better graphics!
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2012, 08:29:04 pm »

Rain killing Endermen: Nope. Sorry, maybe if a few dozen versions.

Pigmen: If you want them to form cavern bands, I don't think there's any way to control layer. If you want the to form cavern bands, they need to be an entity. If you want them to have gold swords and/or helmets, they need to be in entities.

To "spawn" the friendly creature, you need to transform another friendly creature into a creature without CRAZED or OPPOSED_TO_LIFE. That's why I suggested what I did.
All right. I didn't know how reaction details worked (this is, unfortunately, also a practice mod).

You guys are all uncannily helpful :D
My wooden badge was delicious.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2012, 09:07:05 pm »

Maybe I just like that this is the first time I've showed up in mode credits.

Alright, this is how you make Jacks-O-Lantern turn into golems:
1. Create a Jack-O-Lantern creature and an iron golem creature. If you need help with that, just ask me (or base it off of bronze colossi).
2. Create a reaction. It should take the reagents (four iton blocks, probably) and turn them into a cloud of a newly-defined inorganic, which I'll get to. Call it something like GOLEMGAS_IRON for iron golems.
3. Make sure the entities have both the reaction and the building it takes place in permitted.
4. In one inorganic file or another, create a new inorganic, called whatever the reaction makes. Give it a syndrome, only affecting jacks-o-lantern, that is inhaled, by-contact, and everything else if you want to make sure it gets results; check the wiki for help.
5. Make that syndrome turn the affected creature into an iron golem.
6. Repeat steps 1-5 for snowlems, if you want.
7. Make sure people know to pasture the jacks-o-lantern in the workshop if they want a golem to be made!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2012, 09:57:58 pm »

All right. This is a very interesting reaction process, I have yet to grasp the TRUE POWER of reactions. Now I'd like make these moving haunted jack-o-lanterns plausible, and reconcile them with bog-standard farmable pumpkins.

So we have:
  • Pumpkins, they're kinda rare (and yellow, since we have brown instead of orange in DF) and can be brewed into pumpkin punch. They're not worth as much as melons, though.
  • "Haunted jack-o-lanterns", flying pumpkins that spawn in savage and/or evil areas (and available from embark) which don't die of old age, are at peace with wildlife, and do absolutely nothing until we convert them into golems.

That makes some sense to me - I just don't want moving plants that are supposed to be inert :P

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2012, 10:21:32 pm »

And another thing:
Caverncrept is go!

You can sign up in advance, and debate about what the embark should be like :P

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2012, 10:26:02 pm »

Code: [Select]
[PLANT:PUMPKIN]
[NAME:pumpkin]
[NAME_PLURAL:pumpkins]
[ADJ:pumpkin]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[PREFSTRING:tendency to vanish]
[PICKED_TILE:162]
[PICKED_COLOR:6:0:0]
[GROWDUR:1500]
[VALUE:10]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:DRINK:PLANT_ALCOHOL_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen pumpkin juice]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:fermented pumpkin juice]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling pumpkin juice]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:ORANGE]
[STATE_COLOR:LIQUID:ORANGE]
[STATE_COLOR:GAS:ORANGE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:5]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[DRINK:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:DRINK]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SEED:SEED_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:1]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[SEED:pumpkin seed:pumpkin seeds:6:0:0:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED]
[SPRING]
[SUMMER]
[AUTUMN]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:FLOWER:LEAF_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:10]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[LEAVES:pumpkin flower:pumpkin flowers:5:0:1:6:0:0:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:FLOWER]
[FREQUENCY:50]
[DRY]
[BIOME:ANY_TEMPERATE]
[CLUSTERSIZE:3]

here's a pumpkin for you

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2012, 10:41:13 pm »

Code: [Select]
[PLANT:PUMPKIN]
[NAME:pumpkin]
[NAME_PLURAL:pumpkins]
[ADJ:pumpkin]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[PREFSTRING:tendency to vanish]
[PICKED_TILE:162]
[PICKED_COLOR:6:0:0]
[GROWDUR:1500]
[VALUE:10]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:DRINK:PLANT_ALCOHOL_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen pumpkin juice]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:fermented pumpkin juice]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling pumpkin juice]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:ORANGE]
[STATE_COLOR:LIQUID:ORANGE]
[STATE_COLOR:GAS:ORANGE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:5]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[DRINK:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:DRINK]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SEED:SEED_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:1]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[SEED:pumpkin seed:pumpkin seeds:6:0:0:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED]
[SPRING]
[SUMMER]
[AUTUMN]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:FLOWER:LEAF_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:10]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[LEAVES:pumpkin flower:pumpkin flowers:5:0:1:6:0:0:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:FLOWER]
[FREQUENCY:50]
[DRY]
[BIOME:ANY_TEMPERATE]
[CLUSTERSIZE:3]

here's a pumpkin for you
I already made it :P but thank you! The leaves bit is a good idea that I'll add.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2012, 11:49:34 pm »

1. Create a Jack-O-Lantern creature and an iron golem creature. If you need help with that, just ask me (or base it off of bronze colossi).
2. Create a reaction. It should take the reagents (four iton blocks, probably) and turn them into a cloud of a newly-defined inorganic, which I'll get to. Call it something like GOLEMGAS_IRON for iron golems.
3. Make sure the entities have both the reaction and the building it takes place in permitted.
4. In one inorganic file or another, create a new inorganic, called whatever the reaction makes. Give it a syndrome, only affecting jacks-o-lantern, that is inhaled, by-contact, and everything else if you want to make sure it gets results; check the wiki for help.
7. Make sure people know to pasture the jacks-o-lantern in the workshop if they want a golem to be made!
That's one way to skin the giant cat, But there are several ways, each with their own outputs/applications

Your way looks like Meph's method for making war pets/golems
:P

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creeper Cavern: Go sign up for our tentative succession game!
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2012, 03:02:22 pm »

All right, it's time to make haunted jack-o-lanterns. And to work out the kinks with creature names, including a very special beverage syndrome.

0.3 will also have fun comments in the raws as an added bonus, because tags are boring to read :P

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2012, 12:49:06 am »

That's one way to skin the giant cat, But there are several ways, each with their own outputs/applications

There is a better way to do it. I explain. The mentioned way turns most of the stationed "jack o lanterns" into golems,because they are all affected by the gas. That means you can make 50 jack o lanterns, pasture them on the workshop, run the reaction once, and cheat yourself tons of golems.

Better solution: The gas only affects dwarves. Dwarf is given a interaction through a syndrome. He can only do this interaction once. (easily done through cooldown timer) The interaction turns ONE nearby jack o lantern into a golem. This way you can more easily control how many transformations are done, and avoid cheating/spamming.

Just a note: I do not use the method I just described, because it was in a conversation with narhiril that this topic was brought up.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Phillammon

• Bay Watcher
  • Taunt ye not the artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2012, 01:39:38 am »

Wait a sec. Just realized something: Vampires. They basically don't exist in this mod due to detonating the moment they drain their first victim, don't they?

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2012, 08:04:33 am »

Wait a sec. Just realized something: Vampires. They basically don't exist in this mod due to detonating the moment they drain their first victim, don't they?
Yeah, but explosion isn't a guaranteed kill - it melts fat, but without the bleeding/blisters/fever syndrome, all it causes is kinda light wounds, and vampires may be kinda immune to those effects. On the other hand, you'd never catch the bastards because they leave no evidence, just a slightly charred bedroom and another one on the "Missing" list.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2012, 08:10:12 pm »

All right. This is a very interesting reaction process, I have yet to grasp the TRUE POWER of reactions. Now I'd like make these moving haunted jack-o-lanterns plausible, and reconcile them with bog-standard farmable pumpkins.

So we have:
  • Pumpkins, they're kinda rare (and yellow, since we have brown instead of orange in DF) and can be brewed into pumpkin punch. They're not worth as much as melons, though.
  • "Haunted jack-o-lanterns", flying pumpkins that spawn in savage and/or evil areas (and available from embark) which don't die of old age, are at peace with wildlife, and do absolutely nothing until we convert them into golems.

That makes some sense to me - I just don't want moving plants that are supposed to be inert :P
You know you can make creatures [IMMOBILE], right?

How many ways are there, at this point? As far as I know, the only other methods involve transforming dwarves or bugging Toady to add golems in the Suggestions subforum.
No, seriously, what else can you do?

There is a better way to do it. I explain. The mentioned way turns most of the stationed "jack o lanterns" into golems,because they are all affected by the gas. That means you can make 50 jack o lanterns, pasture them on the workshop, run the reaction once, and cheat yourself tons of golems.

Better solution: The gas only affects dwarves. Dwarf is given a interaction through a syndrome. He can only do this interaction once. (easily done through cooldown timer) The interaction turns ONE nearby jack o lantern into a golem. This way you can more easily control how many transformations are done, and avoid cheating/spamming.

Just a note: I do not use the method I just described, because it was in a conversation with narhiril that this topic was brought up.
Isn't that overly complicated and having a chance that this would not ever go off on a jack-o-lantern?

And re:Vampires: Do creepers even have all of the tags vampires need?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2012, 08:17:05 pm »

Isn't that overly complicated and having a chance that this would not ever go off on a jack-o-lantern?

No, not really--it gives the creeper the interaction, and the creeper could have the interaction for over a year, while its wait period would be more than two years, which would make it pretty freaking unlikely that a jack-o-lantern won't be turned.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2012, 08:25:59 pm »

...In that case, I'll go with my original idea since I have no idea how to give a creeper a reaction for that long that it will only use once. And I honestly don't care that much, actually. So what if people want to game the system? Armok will have His revenge on them.
Sig

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2012, 08:51:59 pm »

:o I spawned a debate...

Anyway, I just made haunted pumpkins mobile so that any reactions requiring contact with a pumpkin would be easy to perform, since you could pasture one nearby. And I think it's impossible to grow creatures, hence the separate inert pumpkins. If there is a convenient way to golem-ize one without needing one-time proximity, they can be made immobile.

So the "golemancer" sounds like a good solution, but could you restrict it to only certain skills? That should be possible if the golem reaction workshop requires mechanics/some other skill to initialize the reaction, right?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8