Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Creeper Cavern: 0.3 released! Go play Caverncrept!  (Read 19920 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: Creeper Cavern: Play as creepers!
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2012, 03:17:44 pm »

Read through whole thread, seems pretty awesome. PTW.
testing its speed is currently underway
If you want them to be all the same speed, try making it's agility attribute fixed at one value.
I couldn't find the "agility" skill token so I just settled for [SPEED:900] (9 turns on, 1 turn off: 1000 would give them an eleven-turn cycle which wouldn't be as useful). However, the innate skill token has been used for fun elsewhere :)
for defense, i think ill have a normal squad and a suicide squad, and a creeper dropper on my front gate. great mod btw, will make it much more entertaining than normal df, because tantrum spirals turn into tantrumplosions!
Yes, they do... be sure to make your hospital very roomy :)
My wooden badge was delicious.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2012, 05:35:09 pm »

Also, Version 0.2 is released! Now everything is much better :D

(Except for the creepers, they're all doomed.)

It comes with a couple graphics improvements. My favorite is the night creatures :)

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2012, 07:15:04 pm »

In arena. i had a BC fight 6 creepers, 3 swordcreeps and 3 bowcreeps, one swordcreep ran ahead and got hit and flew like a missile, hit the other 5 and exploded, not even hurting the BC. the suicide squad plan might not work well.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2012, 09:05:10 pm »

In arena. i had a BC fight 6 creepers, 3 swordcreeps and 3 bowcreeps, one swordcreep ran ahead and got hit and flew like a missile, hit the other 5 and exploded, not even hurting the BC. the suicide squad plan might not work well.
Secret fun is more vulnerable to nobles suicide squads. (I'm not going to name it, even if it's obvious, until someone encounters it in fortress mode and posts it here. Your input is appreciated! Please hold.)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2012, 05:29:57 pm »

Okay, I've fixed a couple graphics and made watermelons as common as they should be (less), which is enough to make a 0.2.1 release (since we don't want slightly broken graphics, do we?!). Link is on the first page since it also uses DFFD. Now doors look nice, except wooden doors!

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creeper Cavern: Version 0.2.1 released, better graphics!
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2012, 04:01:56 am »

I saw that the reproduction time for a creeper is 7-10 years. I've always imagined creepers on par with thrips in terms of life cycle. Reproduce like rabbits - huge litters, short gestation, breed often, don't live long.

Would be cool to encourage creeper militarism if you had a ready supply of them. Just a suggestion.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2012, 10:27:20 am »

I saw that the reproduction time for a creeper is 7-10 years. I've always imagined creepers on par with thrips in terms of life cycle. Reproduce like rabbits - huge litters, short gestation, breed often, don't live long.

Would be cool to encourage creeper militarism if you had a ready supply of them. Just a suggestion.
Okay. Their current longevity is a bit ridiculous anyhow :P

If they reproduced more, then everywhere would get more crowded, leading to chain reactions as soon as one of them dies of old age (okay, has that ever happened to anyone? usually they die long before that but anyway), leading to a lower population. Nature is wonderful!

Anyway, that's a good idea, since we want plenty of creepers for our suicide squads :D so I'm adding it. Now they mature fully at 4 and die somewhere between 20 and 30. So this will give us a lot more explosions and a lot more potential explosions. Mwahahahaha!

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2012, 01:50:00 pm »

And here's my Goals List for 0.3, at which point I'll also attempt to start some kind of community game if interest exists. (My plan is to make the thread now, and wait for people to sign up so we have a fairy large backlog of turns...)

GOALS
  • Make farm animals a lot more common, to accurately replicate that Minecraft feeling
  • (More) giant underground mushroom trees
  • It would be kinda fun to make an optional version with proportional tiles and where individual creeper jobs had different graphics: but I'd need a good ASCII tileset first. I'll start trawling the wiki/forums for someone kind enough to lend me one.
  • Zombies changed to "undead" with zombie and skeleton castes
  • Kobolds replaced with "ops" whose excuse is that they're using vanish commands to dick around in your fortress - this is essentially cosmetic
  • Growable dye flowers (outdoors only)
  • Hopefully, a diabolical way to turn useless creepers into exploding trap components - one-use traps that erupt into boiling metal
  • Slime family is done, so it's time to move on to the silverfish and endermen families: silverfish scurry around caverns, endermen lurk at night and steal things

FIXES
  • Get slimes to STOP MELTING IN THE RAIN AAAARRGHHH why must this happen to me

The community game will also help me verify if miners siege or not - it's like a clever way to offload testing onto other people for the sake of Fun 8)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2012, 02:01:23 pm »

<*Recommended Tilesets*>

Right from my OP in my thread. These are some Tilesets I found pleasing, The last 3 from the list I have no idea how to contact the creators. But I know the top 5 would be more then happy if you asked them if you can include it.

Since I just use Links to "Their" Threads My hands are clean in a sense and they get credit aswell. Even If I never asked.

Just thought I'd give you a nice push in where you wanted to go :P

ALSO
did you cut down on materials to make it more MC like (Only Clay, Sand, Dirt, Grass, Stone, Iron Ore, Coal, etc) or so far you just at Getting things working then converting?

Phillammon

• Bay Watcher
  • Taunt ye not the artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2012, 02:04:40 pm »

So very much registering interest in both succession game and mod in general. Watching, mostly, gonna try it out properly soonish.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2012, 03:09:51 pm »

Hopefully one day we can disable ghosts

NOTE:
for anyone that will suggest adding CANNOT_UNDEAD/NO_LIVING = Nope, any creature played in fortress mode can make a ghost if no proper burial/slab
Hardcoded feature. No way to get rid of it.
Last time I checked, this worked.

Neat mod, at a feature-filled spot. I might put this on my flash drive and play it...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2012, 07:08:29 pm »

<*Recommended Tilesets*>

Right from my OP in my thread. These are some Tilesets I found pleasing, The last 3 from the list I have no idea how to contact the creators. But I know the top 5 would be more then happy if you asked them if you can include it.

Since I just use Links to "Their" Threads My hands are clean in a sense and they get credit aswell. Even If I never asked.

Just thought I'd give you a nice push in where you wanted to go :P

ALSO
did you cut down on materials to make it more MC like (Only Clay, Sand, Dirt, Grass, Stone, Iron Ore, Coal, etc) or so far you just at Getting things working then converting?
Wow, that was a lot of work :O Anyway, I'm not planning to remove all those materials, since removing features = less game (and I love DF's realistic complicated geology). So I'll focus on adding things before considering removing/modifying existing non-creatures. That being said, I just thought of a fun idea to convert humans into testificates :D

And I've decided Jolly Bastion is my favorite, it's so cheerful :)
So very much registering interest in both succession game and mod in general. Watching, mostly, gonna try it out properly soonish.
Great! The version that's released right now is a bit pathetic, I need to rework slime tissues (lava cubes don't melt but they are perpetually charred, slimes are just... depressing) and fix LOTS of minor details (no! it's not called dwarven wine now because there are no dwarves! aaaargh!), then add cool things like an Enderdragon megabeast.
Last time I checked, this worked.

Neat mod, at a feature-filled spot. I might put this on my flash drive and play it...
Little-known fact - the entire mod is stored on my Grade 9 Grad USB while I'm working on it :P I do back it up to an actual computer fairly often though.

Anyway, I like creeper ghosts now that I think about all their other features, because otherwise you have nothing to remember them by :P But the creepish coffin industry is probably like the stone instrument industry from their point of view - "why do we keep making these damn boxes?!".

So I'll work out the succession game thread once I'm done my summer French assignment for today, and remember: if you have suggestions I'll implement them if they're good! I don't have a definite overarching vision of this mod, just something fun and different to play, so anything goes as long as it seems fitting to me. Also, please report any minor graphical glitches - I don't get to see every tile so there could be one pixel out of place (try finding a bogeyman in 0.2, the night creature's left ghost arm bleeds over onto its texture!).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 07:10:20 pm by GoombaGeek »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2012, 07:53:01 pm »

Suggestions? Zombie pigman tribes underground, probably replacing current subterranean animalfolk; make sure they have access to gold. You will probably need to make gold into an armor/weapon-smithable material to do this.
Jack-O-Lanterns (immobile, common-domestic creatures). Also the ability to turn 4 iron blocks into a cloud of gas with a syndrome that turns jacks-o-lantern into iron golems (I can try to help with this). Since you can't make snow blocks, it might be tough to make a good snowlem reaction.
Turning diamonds into stuff.
That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2012, 08:02:34 pm »

Here's what I've been having trouble with now:
1. Add a horrifying syndrome to rain.
2. It only affects Endermen.
3. PROFIT

The only issue is that water isn't really a material in the raws. Is there any way to accomplish this?

And the pigmen tribe is a great idea, I had forgotten about them when planning creatures ???

I'm thinking cavern level 1 will have normal pigmen, level 3 will have zombie pigmen and level 2 will have both.

As for golems, I had an idea involving a custom workshop (the "Golemeer's Shop", requires Mechanics) that would take ice/iron and a single pumpkin and somehow spawn a friendly ally creature that can't be acquired anywhere else. Miners would have access to this workshop, but natural undead and villagers would not. But the other idea is very dwarfy creepish :D Either way, pumpkins will be simple to add so I'll get right to that.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2012, 08:18:21 pm »

Rain killing Endermen: Nope. Sorry, maybe if a few dozen versions.

Pigmen: If you want them to form cavern bands, I don't think there's any way to control layer. If you want the to form cavern bands, they need to be an entity. If you want them to have gold swords and/or helmets, they need to be in entities.

To "spawn" the friendly creature, you need to transform another friendly creature into a creature without CRAZED or OPPOSED_TO_LIFE. That's why I suggested what I did.
Sig
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8