Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Creeper Cavern: 0.3 released! Go play Caverncrept!  (Read 19917 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: Creeper Cavern: Play as creepers!
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 12:35:25 pm »

Good news, everyone!

They don't spray miasma behind them yet but they do exist and survive worldgen. They are represented by the letter Z.

Also added (but not released yet) are Ghasts, Slimes and Giant Slimes. Slimes are basically sponges that are a bit easier to kill, and they live underground. Luckily, they can be tamed and trained. As for Ghasts, well, they fly and shoot fireballs so watch out.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 01:13:02 pm by GoombaGeek »
My wooden badge was delicious.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 10:02:33 pm »

Well, if the explosion kills them then they will go off in turn  8)
Now you're getting the idea!

So I could also attach a burninating syndrome to the explosion... somehow. Oh, and by changing creepite to a metal I did get some nice explosions (they now cover about three tiles but still do only minor damage to things caught in the explosion - but it managed to inhibit a BC's lower body :o ). For the syndrome, I guess there are a couple choices:

- Fun option: Creepers randomly give off a syndrome cloud that burns everything in it, including themselves.
- Make it so that anything that eats a creeper burns to death from the syndrome.
- EDIT: Yes, making creepite give off a horrifying pain/blister/fever syndrome is possible and I'm working on it as we speak!
I like the third option best; the second won't affect anything but adventurers and maybe dwarves (if they're playable and creepers aren't sentient), and the third would make creeper explosions non-weapony and creeper "forts" impossible.

EDIT EDIT: The Creepite Syndrome is done. It now gives off a "creeper burn" which can be inflicted in many ways - and hoo boy, it's nasty. It causes severe blisters, bleeding, pain and fever and lasts for about four days. Hopefully this is very Fun, although it would also make combat against things fairly easy if you have a high population.
Excellent...

EDIT EDIT EDIT: It managed to make a cyclops stagger around for a bit and trail blood and grease, but its healing factor saved it. In fact, lots of things seem to heal from the explosion... maybe it means they just stopped bleeding? But the important thing is that the explosion strips the fat off afflicted areas, making most creatures unable to move. Yeeg.
Good. Make the bleeding last longer to get them to stop healing quickly.

I also want to work on introducing the zombie race soon. Hopefully I'll find a good way to make them trail miasma behind them - give them a rotten brain/heart?
Maybe have them afflict themselves with necrosis somehow, and then somehow not be too affected by it?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 10:21:52 pm »

Somebody say rotting zombies?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Enjoy your own 31.02 Regen zombies. complete with auto rot. (warning usage other parts not included)
try not to scroll past the castes, stay near the top for "corpse grime" that is the auto rot secreation item.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 10:26:44 pm »

Can't figure out how to give zombies a syndrome that they're affected by (EDIT: POSTED BEFORE HELPFUL REPLY), but slimes. Oh god, slimes.

Currently, the worst blunt force trauma (bc toss for 5 minutes) I could find only bruised them. Against creepers, they pummel them with wrestling attacks (did I mention they can learn and level up their wrestling skill?) until they explode and die. Now I hear you saying "Well then, they'll take heavy explosion damage, right?" Oh, but you're wrong. These guys are made out of fat and are basically unkillable by fire, so all you get is a pissed fireball trailing smoke everywhere it goes wrestling your creepers until nothing can survive. I think the only thing that can kill them is slashing damage that penetrates their big blobby outer layer. (I could make the core pressurized like guts for easier killing, but that's less fun.)

The upside is that they can be captured and trained!

And let's not get started on the lava cubes and giant slimes.

Meanwhile, the ghasts remain fairly weak except that they basically shoot creeper explosions. Version 1.1 is going to be fun!

There are also mooshrooms to eat, but that's boring.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 10:53:58 pm »

Clearly, you need to make slimes melt at lower temperatures. Or made out of liquid.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 04:35:26 pm »

Clearly, you need to make slimes melt at lower temperatures. Or made out of liquid.
What do you mean I should remove perpetually burning slimes?! Seeing an angry plume of smoke beating the alloy out of a bronze colossus made my day.

No, I'll just make them easier to kill with slashing damage by tweaking the core a bit. As for lava cubes, my plan is to make them on fire from birth somehow.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 06:15:27 pm »

What do you mean I should remove perpetually burning slimes?! Seeing an angry plume of smoke beating the alloy out of a bronze colossus made my day.

No, I'll just make them easier to kill with slashing damage by tweaking the core a bit. As for lava cubes, my plan is to make them on fire from birth somehow.

HEAT_DAM:NONE
and IGNITE_POINT at 9000

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 08:06:54 pm »

Add those at the end, after [SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL].
Sig

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 08:52:45 pm »

Hmm, it didn't seem to work...

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:LAVA_CUBE]
[DESCRIPTION:A terrifying and burning angry blob that hops around deep underground. It's nearly unkillable, and it's on fire from the day it's born. It also burns everything it passes over in a fearsome fit of flaming fury.]
[NAME:lava cube:lava cubes:lava cube]
[CASTE_NAME:lava cube:lava cubes:lava cube]
[CREATURE_TILE:254][COLOR:4:0:1]
[PETVALUE:500]
[FREQUENCY:7]
[NOBONES]
[NATURAL]
[NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_LAVA]
[LARGE_PREDATOR]
[NO_EAT]
[NO_DRINK]
[CAN_LEARN]
[MAGMA_VISION]
[EXTRAVISION]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:5:20]
[PREFSTRING:fiery wrath]
[BODY:SLIME_BODY]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SPONGE:SPONGE_TEMPLATE]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SPONGE:SPONGE_TEMPLATE]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:FLAME]
[HAS_NERVES]
[CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[GETS_WOUND_INFECTIONS]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:50000]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
[MAXAGE:20:30]
[ALL_ACTIVE]
[FIREIMMUNE_SUPER]
[IMMOLATE]
[NO_SLEEP]
[NO_DIZZINESS]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:FLAME]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:RED:1:UMBER:1:ORANGE:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:body:SINGULAR]
[ATTACK:SHOVE:CHILD_BODYPART_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:BY_CATEGORY:TOOTH]
[ATTACK_SKILL:WRESTLING]
[ATTACK_VERB:shove:shoves]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
[SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL]
[HEATDAM_POINT:60000]
[IGNITE_POINT:8000]

You guys are really helpful though :O thank you!

And I finally got around to testing slimes vs. sharp objects. Good news: they're quite weak to them (which makes up for their nigh-invincibility to blunt attacks - nothing I threw at them could even get them past "slightly injured"). I've also added another size of slime, "Tiny". These ones are very little and can be purchased at embark. I think they're edible, although you'll probably get more use out of them as a animal-killer since they won't be killed by stomping or shoving.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 08:54:09 pm »

Your only tissue is SLIME, but you keep calling a non-existant tissue called FLAME.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 09:14:49 pm »

Your only tissue is SLIME, but you keep calling a non-existant tissue called FLAME.
I looked in tissue_template_default and it says there's a tissue type called "FLAME". I used it right away because it sounded ideal. But it probably conflicts with the other method of setting these guys on fire and is improperly set-up. I'll go fix that.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 09:20:58 pm »

You need to actually declare a tissue called FLAME if you're going to use it, I.E:

USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:FLAME:SPONGE_TEMPLATE

You had sponge their instead and never used it.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2012, 09:34:35 pm »

SUPER EXCITING UPDATE NEWS:
I spent a while looking things up and adding features, and I have been working on the next version of Creeper Cavern all this time. Look at all this stuff! Gosh!
  • Creepers have improved sprites that are easier to spot
  • A very few ASCII tiles have been replaced with similarly-sized little graphics - they are really simple and the same size but they should look somewhat neato
  • The "miner" race replaces the goblin's niche in society - they are fairly vicious and contain a rare Griefer caste that destroys things
  • Humans are being kept in for now
  • We have a slime family, with four varieties: tiny slimes are butcherable and available at embark (and really little), slimes are trainable but only found in caverns, and giant slimes are really dangerous and huge. Then we have the lava cubes, who are on fire from birth and swim around in magma. Slimes' lack of body parts makes them basically giant sponges, although they have a "core" that functions as both guts and a brain so they are more vulnerable to piercing and slashing.
  • The somewhat new zombie race that is fairly nice
  • Mooshrooms - cows that give fermentable mushroom stew! Other than that they're basically normal cows. But their tiles red!
  • If names weren't proper ("Fisherdwarf" instead of "Fishercreeper") in the last update they are now. Also, "creeper seeds" replace babies (in name only, they aren't very special) which grow into "creeper buds" (children) after four years, which then become fully-grown creepers at 8. In a perfect world the longer infancy would offset the earlier adulthood.
  • Absolutely no Herobrine (seriously, Herobrine sucks)

And thank you guys for all your help, hopefully this mod has more to offer now and is better to play!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2012, 09:56:46 pm »

Based upon the direction you are heading, this seems to be a total conversion mod of Dwarf Fortress to Minecraft.[/obvious]

Posting to watch.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2012, 11:24:51 pm »

It couldn't be a total conversion (replacement), though, seeing as there are maybe twenty mobs and DF has way more than twenty animals. But I will work on adding every mob that I can! In the meantime, here's what creepers look like now:

"But what's the difference between military and non-military creepers?!" I hear some of you say. Well, the answer is that normal creepers' faces are copied from the real creeper textures while military creepers have blank faces (e.g. when they die the red "blood" underlay shows through). I'm sure you can tell if you squint hard enough (or you could kill every last one of them).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8