Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves behaving very oddly  (Read 1209 times)

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
Dwarves behaving very oddly
« on: June 30, 2012, 02:09:49 pm »

So I've encountered a bit of a problem in my latest fortress, one which made me abandon just due to the sheer tenacity and irritation value of the issue.

My dwarfs decide to not do jobs at random, and will never perform that job ever again.

Three glaring examples:
1) Building an aboveground wall with twelve masons: after designating about thirty wall segments, the masons do absolutely nothing and loiter around idle as if the job doesn't exist. I delete the walls, redesignate them; still no joy. I disable masonry on all the dwarves, reenable it, nothing happens. I put peasants as masons just to get the damn thing built. Nothing happens again. This happened with every single map tile I tried to build a wall on.

Simply put, I can no longer build walls.....my dwarves literally just stand around idle as if the constructions don't exist.

2) Same thing happened with miners, to a smaller extent. Anything open to the outside air is no longer mineable. I can designate digging tasks til I'm blue in the face, and the dwarfs with pickaxes just loiter around in my meeting hall idle. Again, tried making other dwarves miners, didn't make any difference.

3) Finally, all of my craftsdwarves just decide they'll never do anything in their respective fields of interest ever again. I can queue jobs at the workshops as much as I want, build new workshops, enable the labors in other dwarfs, it doesn't matter. None of my workshops can do anything, period. Dwarves act like they don't exist, even when burrowed into the workshops.

Thankfully farmers were still planting and harvesting, but I couldn't brew anything or process my fish or butcher anything.....

I was playing vanilla DF, and wondering if anyone else has had this issue with the new version.

It's not a bug report so much as a "wtf just happened" moment, due to every other fort I've run on the update turning out just fine.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Dwarves behaving very oddly
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 02:19:46 pm »

What is the units screen depicting their current job order as?

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 02:24:19 pm »

Simply "Idle".

And I checked the Jobs menu to ensure the tasks had actually been created, and they had. They were simply perpetually listed as "Inactive".

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 02:28:51 pm »

Not sure about the others, but what are the walls supposed to be built with?  You say mason was enabled; are the walls to be made of wood or stone?  If wood, you need to enable carpenter.

Do you have any burrow assignments designated?

Are your dwarves in the military, set to active but with no place to train?

Did designation work at all for this fort?  If so, what happened right before this problem started?  Stuff like this almost always has a change at the point the problem started as the root cause if things used to work and suddenly don't any more.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 02:31:58 pm »

Looks like either a burrow or a pathing problem.
Paths may be broken due to a deconstructed stair or removed wall of a ramp or something alike.

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 02:33:49 pm »

All the walls were to be constructed using stone blocks, and they were in a stockpile about four tiles from the construction site.

I didn't have any burrows until I noticed none of my workshops were operating, at which point I burrowed several craftsdwarves into their respective workshops. The problem started before that however.

Only two military dwarves were designated by the time I abandoned, and neither had any other duties than training. I was going to use them as squadleaders, to train recruits faster.

And finally, the only thing I can think of would be I received a migrant wave of about 10 right before the fortress started going wacky... before that everything was fully functional, to the degree that I had a moat and two layer fortress built aboveground and all my production running smoothly.

Also I've run a fort since this issue, and it exhibited none of the difficulties the buggy one did.

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 02:36:21 pm »

Looks like either a burrow or a pathing problem.
Paths may be broken due to a deconstructed stair or removed wall of a ramp or something alike.

See that was my first conclusion too, hence using burrows to see if my dwarves could get to where they needed to be. All the sites were definently accessible to the workers that were relevant to the jobs, which was the confusing part.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 02:37:35 pm »

If you still have a save I think it worth while to create a bug report in Mantis for this.  Upload the save to DFFD, create the report and link to the save so it can get checked out.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 02:44:10 pm »

If you still have a save I think it worth while to create a bug report in Mantis for this.  Upload the save to DFFD, create the report and link to the save so it can get checked out.

Scrapped the save sadly with abandon (I don't use backups and savescumming, tisn't very dorfy), but if it pops up again I'll make one.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 07:31:40 am »

maybe everything is forbiden?
try d-b-c and reclaim all of the fort area.
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 07:34:57 am »

If everything was forbiden he wouldn't be able to select materials for building the wall segments.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.