Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Sanitation  (Read 1846 times)

necromancerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Sanitation
« on: June 30, 2012, 01:15:44 pm »

So considering everything else really is in the game how come the entire process of the digestion of food and drink isn't represented in the game. Why aren't toilets needed in the game? There are sewers in the game after all. Considering how graphic everything else is it wouldn't offend "the masses" I would assume. Having to design a working sewer, flushing it out with floodgates and water could lead to much FUN. And with a little imagination, screw pumps and a siege who knows what could happen.

(didn't see this on the forums apologies if already discussed!)

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Sanitation
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 01:21:41 pm »

Toady already said he won't add that to the game because it is not really needed and would distract from the rest of the game. If you had to set up a working toilet system, it would take longer to get a fort up and running. Mostly because that would be something you would have to set up right away.

And we don't need more crap (lol) cluttering our forts anyways.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 01:32:16 pm »

It's hard to answer without going "UGHUAHA THIS THREAD AGAIN ALL CAPS!!111!!!"

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 01:45:16 pm »

Dwarves are 100% efficient at extracting nutrients and other building blocks of life from their food and drink, and by the time their digestive system ends there is nothing left to exit it. This efficiency explains why their eating and drinking schedule is measured on a scale of weeks.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 02:19:30 pm »

You know feces was historically used as a component in tanning leather.

Typically in my new forts i tend to dig straight down and eventually knock a roof out in a cave. I imagine when i'm not looking my drawfs run down there and crap through teh hole onto some poor ratwoman or troglodyte's head. There's probably so much bat sht on the cave floor it doesn't matter.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 02:50:08 pm »

It's probably where the nutrients come from for the lush growth of plants underground.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 05:20:19 pm »

Funny, I could have sworn that was the multiple metric tons of cat nervous systems.

necromancerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 06:34:39 pm »

Dwarves are 100% efficient at extracting nutrients and other building blocks of life from their food and drink, and by the time their digestive system ends there is nothing left to exit it. This efficiency explains why their eating and drinking schedule is measured on a scale of weeks.

So Dwarfs eat a minimum of 2 units of food each season, 8 a year. Taking the weight of meat or fish at 200, and the wiki claiming weight urists are the same as kilograms a dwarf consumes 1600kg of food alone a year. (not taking booze into account)
Going by the theory of general relativity that is 1.43801*10^20 Joules of energy consumed by a dwarf every year as they convert we assume all the matter into energy. That's the energy equivalent of 35.07 Gigatonne TNT. By this 3.4 dwarfs energy consumption is equal to that of our entire planet or 680 Tzar bomba, the largest nuclear bomb ever tested.

My guess is that all the extra energy not used to carry stone or make cheese goes into growing beards.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 06:38:24 pm »

When I clicked on this thread I was hoping for a new design of dwarven bathtubs or mist generators.

Wouldnt it be awesome if things made of soap would release bubbles when in contact with water, much in the same way things release clouds of black smoke and steam when in contact with magma? I mean we already have bubble bushes in good biomes, why not take it all the way?

Or we could make the bubbles acidic due to the high amounts of ph in forgotten beast tallow.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 06:49:59 pm »

the wiki claiming weight urists are the same as kilograms
There aren't many things in DF that can be directly compared to real-life equivalents (how long is a piece of thread? How big is a unit of rock?), but weaponry is close enough. By DF's standards, a steel dagger weighs 1kg, a short sword 2kg, a long sword 5kg, and a two-handed sword 7kg. Even if you translate DF units into pounds that's still on the heavy side. And a full suit of steel equipment weighs about 100kg by the wiki's weight translation, which is definitely too heavy.

Quote from: Friendstrange
Or we could make the bubbles acidic due to the high amounts of ph in forgotten beast tallow.
Things with high pH are alkaline. pH is a way of measuring alkalinity / acidity, not the thing being measured.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 06:58:18 pm »

Things with high pH are alkaline. pH is a way of measuring alkalinity / acidity, not the thing being measured.
Whoops, chemistry slip up there. I was always better at biology. But yeah, low pH.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 07:06:26 pm »

So considering everything else really is in the game how come the entire process of the digestion of food and drink isn't represented in the game. Why aren't toilets needed in the game? There are sewers in the game after all. Considering how graphic everything else is it wouldn't offend "the masses" I would assume. Having to design a working sewer, flushing it out with floodgates and water could lead to much FUN. And with a little imagination, screw pumps and a siege who knows what could happen.

(didn't see this on the forums apologies if already discussed!)

Fine, add this to your dwarf raws:

Code: [Select]
[SECRETION:FILTH_B:SOLID:BY_TYPE:LOWERBODY:SKIN]
Testing suggests that they eventually end up wearing it everywhere (hands, feet, faces, etc.). Don't let them wash themselves in the hospital well water!

And we don't need more crap (lol) cluttering our forts anyways.

I agree with this sentiment.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 07:11:24 pm »

...Ew.
*ponders this some more*
Ew!

Ewwww.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 07:15:43 pm »

Wait so their lower body SWEATS the crap trough the skin?

How...ingenious. And disgusting. So very disgusting.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 07:26:45 pm »

Wait so their lower body SWEATS the crap trough the skin?

How...ingenious. And disgusting. So very disgusting.

If YOU want to, YOU can add additional body parts. I know some mods do. I'm not going to touch this topic anymore. My earlier post was sarcastic in nature.
Pages: [1] 2