Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fun with Giant Cave Spiders  (Read 783 times)

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
Fun with Giant Cave Spiders
« on: June 30, 2012, 11:28:35 am »

'allo.

A giant cave spider has just wandered into the caverns under my fort.
The entrance to my fort from said caverns is by way of a single, forbidden, wooden door in a rock wall I built mostly to keep trogs from getting into my mines. There are no traps around the door, because honestly, I don't really have that much experience with sending my dorfs potholing, other than using a squad disposable guys (the Jolly Cheesemakers) to try and map out the cavern, which I soon abandoned.
Having looked at the wiki, there is much Fun to be had with the GCS if I'm able to catch one.
But, if I send a dorf to try and build a trap now, I'm pretty sure it'll catch and eat him before I'm able to catch it, thus rendering it untamable OR, even more worser, it'll chase him into my fort proper.

Thoughts?
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Fun with Giant Cave Spiders
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 11:52:08 am »

1: do creatures look through closed doors?

2: next time use raisable bridges as a way to seal your fort. You were just inviting building destroyers inside this way.

3: always place a couple of cage traps at places. Yes they are overpowered and a little cheaty. Which is why you use just a few at tactical places instead of covering the map, right?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 12:04:19 pm »

I could just kill it, possibly quite easily, since my guys are rocking full plate steel, but in an ideal world I'd have a tamed GCS (or possibly an untamed one, in a cage linked to a highly conspicuous lever, right in the middle of my noble's quarters) and a theoretically infinite source of silk.

I'll just wall off the doorway for now, trap all the access shafts up the wazoo with cages, then deconstruct the wall and hope my mason can run fast enough to get to safety.
Yeah, that might not work either since the spider might be pathing directly to that door to smash it in.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 12:10:36 pm »

another one will be around in time, most likely, so don't feel sorry about killing one. When trained somewhat they are great for generating silk and immobilizing enemies
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 12:13:49 pm »

Even megabeasts can be trapped with the help of a tame GCS. Definitely worth a little effort and a couple of cheese makers.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 12:22:48 pm »

Even megabeasts can be trapped with the help of a tame GCS. Definitely worth a little effort and a couple of cheese makers.

in fact, every megabeast can be trapped. Without webs.
forgotten beasts and titans are different, but some may have web immunity actually, I think I saw spider FB with that.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 12:25:59 pm »

Ah, right. That's what I meant, that the trapavoid monsters can be trapped when webbed.

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 12:26:54 pm »

I killed it, but not before it had killed my legendary swordsdwarf who went off to battle without his helmet. A Not Lasher armed with a silver scourge took it out from behind.
I am sad.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 12:29:01 pm by Scott Cee »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 12:33:21 pm »

I killed it, but not before it had killed my legendary swordsdwarf who went off to battle without his helmet. A Not Lasher armed with a silver scourge took it out from behind.
I am sad.

did i forget to mention? yes I did

a spider will always use his biet attack on the most vulnerable part of a victim. When immobilized, this is the head. However, the spider can't bite through steel, maybe iron, very maybe bronze (science?) helmets and will continue to oblivion. Without a helmet... sorry, you sent out someone without helmet... Oh well. Lesson learned I guess, better luck next time. This has been on here and other forums more than once, I wonder if it's at the wiki
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 12:35:00 pm by Garath »

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 12:38:12 pm »

Inod Zulbanfikod shall be remembered and, in death, act as both cautionary tale and horrible warning as to what happens when you forget to put your bucket on.

Now I'm making sure that all my frontline dorfs have their headwear specifically be steel helms. This is not going to happen a second time.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 12:41:33 pm by Scott Cee »