Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Medic!  (Read 2748 times)

lordlp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Medic!
« on: June 30, 2012, 10:51:22 am »

How is health care working in this newest version?

Bulwersator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Medic!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 10:54:56 am »

Generally OK, but there are still bugs #1582: Injured dwarf in bed in stocked hospital ignored by idle doctors and #94: Injured dwarves not recovered
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 10:56:40 am by Bulwersator »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 10:58:31 am »

Also the whole stealing cloth from caravans thing. But that's a mostly benign one.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 11:04:38 am »

Let us not forget #1346: "Adamantine thread used for suturing." It can be really nasty if you are unprepared.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 11:16:25 am by Blizzlord »
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

lordlp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 11:08:53 am »

My main problem is that a military dwarf that suffers anything more sever then a hang-nail is scarred for the rest of his life. Older versions they dragged the dwarf in, cleaned him, sewed him up.. dwarf slept for two days and blam, one healthy dwarf.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 11:11:31 am »

I've had the scars show before, do they actually matter much?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 11:27:43 am »

I've found a great work around to wounded being ignored: Don't assign a CMD and have diagnosis on a mess of regularly idle dorfs.

It actually seems to work out better because they just have a look at the dorf and get him patched up rather quickly. And when it comes to cloth and thread teft..... Yeah i don't care, It just means I didn't have to pay for the stuff I needed at the time.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 11:36:49 am »

this actually works fine with a CMD too

see gameplay questions; thread top 10 myths; only CMD should diagnose. yeah, just add all medical labors for every hauler etc
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 11:44:44 am »

I have a CMD, but try to have at least one other dwarf that is also assigned the full list of hospital jobs as well.  Even the folks that "do the first thing that comes to mid", "enjoys helping others" and such needs to sleep, eat or drink occasionally.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 11:46:13 am »

Maybe not every hauler..... It'd kinda be a better thing for that guy who knows what he doing to do it, no logdragger #7

Unless the guy who actually knew what suturing was died of course, which is probably a common occurance.

Bulwersator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 11:47:22 am »

Currently it may be smarter to ignore skills.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 11:54:15 am »

Generally OK, but there are still bugs #1582: Injured dwarf in bed in stocked hospital ignored by idle doctors and #94: Injured dwarves not recovered
Haven't seen this one. In a current fort, I've seen a few die of thirst, though. And traction benches seem a little buggy. On girl was left in traction for over a year, her arm listed as yellow, but the health page didn't show her as needing anything(originally suffered a mess of injuries in a minecart accident, including overlapping fracture). Deconstructed the traction bench and she walked off to live a normal dwarven life.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 11:55:12 am »

Let us not forget #1346: "Adamantine thread used for suturing." It can be really nasty if you are unprepared.
What? It increases the value of Dwarves by quite a margin :P

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 12:01:21 pm »

Currently it may be smarter to ignore skills.

second this
at the moment, skills may slow stuff down in the medical stuff, but you don't get completely wrong diagnosis ("Amputate his arm!" "But it's his leg that is bleeding, oozing and turning black!" "Do His arm, I say so!" simply wonn't happen). So when you gotta choose to a slowdown from break-sleep-eatdrink-otherjob or slowdown from unskilled, well, easy choice.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 01:41:59 pm »

It'd kinda be a better thing for that guy who knows what he doing to do it, no logdragger #7
It's quicker once they start work on the dwarf, but the job has to be taken first. Logdragger #7 might not be the fastest suturer in the world, but if all the medical staff are eating, sleeping, drinking, on break, or doing some other job then it's quicker overall to have somebody respond immediately.

Enabling medical care on everyone is also good for those times when you have a bunch of dwarves injured all at once.

You do need a Novice Diagnostician or better CMD to access the Health screen though. To pump that skill you can wait until a dwarf has a crutch-requiring injure, and forbid all the crutches in the fortress. The injured dwarf will be evaluated repeatedly. I haven't tested this to see how consistent it is, but when no crutches are available it happens pretty often.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2