Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Long embarks and FPS  (Read 853 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Long embarks and FPS
« on: June 30, 2012, 10:40:04 am »

Are long embarks better than square embarks?

I have a 3x16 embark, which covers some 48 tiles. This is nearly as large as a 7x7 embark. I'm getting around 100 FPS or so, or about the same as is usual for a 4x4 embark, which only includes 16 tiles.

I'll try to update this thread as the fortress expands.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Bulwersator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Long embarks and FPS
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 10:59:53 am »

It may due to smaller caverns or/and temporary lower amounts of animals and.or lack of civ access (removing all of this may result in absurd FPS)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 01:00:29 pm »

It may due to smaller caverns or/and temporary lower amounts of animals and.or lack of civ access (removing all of this may result in absurd FPS)

There are both more minerals and more civilisations than in standard DF. FPS is still at around 100 with around 15 dwarves.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 01:02:27 pm »

There are both more minerals and more civilisations than in standard DF. FPS is still at around 100 with around 15 dwarves.

Check caverns? Might have gotten three empty ones?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 05:02:49 pm »

I haven't busted the caverns yet. There are 50-80 z-levels in existence, which is actually a bit low given some embarks I've seen, but overall isn't that low. On the worldgen settings I made sure I would get large, open caverns. There's also a lot of variation in elevation, so there are a lot of tiles of empty space in the sky.

From what people have said, the thing that makes a difference is the number of tiles, but that doesn't seem to be an issue here. On a 16x16 embark I'd normally be getting around 1-2FPS. This embark is just under 1/5th of the size of a 16x16.

The one big difference is the majority of this embark covers a mountain biome. The number of region tiles that will grow anything is smaller than the number of tiles in a standard embark, because nothing grows or regrows aboveground in mountains (including grass) thanks to bugs.