Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Having a baron  (Read 1105 times)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Having a baron
« on: June 29, 2012, 09:10:02 pm »

So, I've got this vampire. I've got her locked away in her palace at the bottom of the map, designed specifically for her tastes.

My question is: What effect would making her the baron and keeping her isolated have on my fortress, compared to making my non-vampire (and currently my mayor) a baron?

I've read up a bit on the subject, but I'm not sure how dated the information was. As far as I can tell, it won't matter who I choose. I just want to avoid doing anything stupid that might mess up my beautiful fortress.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Having a baron
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 10:23:44 pm »

Appointing a vampire to be Baron can be problematic when Diplomats arrive and want to have meetings...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 11:02:39 pm »

There is no easy way to make sure they stay where they are when diplomats show up, they have a tendency of taking off to suck blood from the nearest sleeping dwarf.

I just rewrote the article, it shouldn't be at all dated, although the thirst messages bit was never confirmed for me.
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 11:09:26 pm »

I usually use a vampire duke whenever possible, and find the best way is to feed them children through the airlock periodically. It's the only reason to even have children in the fort, anyway, and sweet retribution for all those parties they organize. A well fed vampire shouldn't leave when the airlock is temporarily breached to allow the diplomat or liaison in.

D.L.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 08:03:05 am »

It used to be possible to have meetings through solid walls. Has that changed?

Alternatively, you could seal in your vamp with fortifications instead; that might work.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 08:36:11 am »

I'm pretty sure the liason has to path to the fort leader, somehow. So, they could, if the liason realised it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 09:12:17 am »

I usually use a vampire duke whenever possible, and find the best way is to feed them children through the airlock periodically. It's the only reason to even have children in the fort, anyway, and sweet retribution for all those parties they organize. A well fed vampire shouldn't leave when the airlock is temporarily breached to allow the diplomat or liaison in.

Kinda cool, how do you make children go where you want them to ?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 09:52:55 am »

Kinda cool, how do you make children go where you want them to ?

if you use therapist to assign jobs to children, you could set it to be the only one to stone detailing and set a floor to be smoothed, cancel job, close door behind, open door in front to a room with a MW bed, MW roast and the best dwarven rum.... I think I've heard fairy tales like this before you know.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Rafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 02:49:13 pm »

A child does as it pleases.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 06:21:23 pm »

A child does as it pleases.
Unless you use DT and tick the 'show children' and 'activate labours on anyone' boxes.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 06:51:40 pm »

Using DT do force children to work makes you a dirty cheater, you know.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 07:17:30 pm »

Just being pedantic.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 08:06:41 pm »

Using DT do force children to work makes you a dirty cheater, you know.
Using DT makes you a somewhat cleaner cheater.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 08:18:10 pm »

So, just to clarify: The mayor still keeps his position, but he's now a completely useless noble since liaisons path to my Baron instead?
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 08:38:04 pm »

He's not completely useless. He helps to make sure that your booze, food, and clothing stockpiles don't overflow by consuming that stuff. Also if a dwarf gets mad, they can go and yell at him which makes them happier.
Pages: [1] 2