Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: You have got to see this.  (Read 3790 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You have got to see this.
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 09:50:03 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Holy Crap. That looks almost EXACTLY like the top of my current fort, except with mine the rivers at a bit of a angle, and your using a slight tile set, my bridges are different from tbat. But still, the resemblance, especially the big building in the middle, is striking. Except, I use that area for corpse storage.
Meh, I don't get why people waste stone on walls for structures like these, I just dig a hole lol.
Stone blocks. Also, its yet another line of defence.  Definitely not the only one, but it can easily be the first.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 09:53:30 pm »

Again, just dig a hole, ie
_>                                  _____________
  X|                                |
  <____________________>|
                                    X
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 10:00:07 pm »

People typically "waste" stone on walls because they have a huge surplus of stone and labor. It's better than churning out crafts because with the latter, your wealth will skyrocket, drawing lots of premature migration and sieges.

Also, Rule of Cool.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 10:06:24 pm »

People typically "waste" stone on walls because they have a huge surplus of stone and labor. It's better than churning out crafts because with the latter, your wealth will skyrocket, drawing lots of premature migration and sieges.

Also, Rule of Cool.
I need to try playing a fortress that doesn't rush wealth...I tend to produce hundreds of thousands of dorfbucks in the first year...
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 01:37:03 am »

<____________________>|
                                    X

I might be misjudging your schematic but can't enemies with ranged weapons shoot into your pit? With walls they can't do that. Maybe you have a ceiling over it making a tunnel? If you have that though why not put a small wall around the entrance  is the way I see it though. It's like having the defensive equivalent of two pits. Plus you can put a roof on the wall and fortifications to hide your dwarves behind... though I suppose you could do that just as well with the pit. With a wall though you could shoot over (and be shot at but that's more random than placing dwarves to shoot out) the opposite lip of the pit though.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 01:42:57 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2012, 02:06:33 am »

<____________________>|
                                    X

Or just build a wall

Code: [Select]
............................................................╬☺
..g..g..g...TggTgggg.g.......g....g..................g......OO
____________________________________________________________OO

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2012, 09:30:16 pm »

Sorry, but what ASCII set are you using? Looks different from the default one that I have. Especially those wall corners. I'd like to have the same :)
Feeling down? Click Here!

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 12:49:29 am »

Holy Crap. That looks almost EXACTLY like the top of my current fort, except with mine the rivers at a bit of a angle, and your using a slight tile set, my bridges are different from tbat. But still, the resemblance, especially the big building in the middle, is striking. Except, I use that area for corpse storage.
Meh, I don't get why people waste stone on walls for structures like these, I just dig a hole lol.
+1 to this, bro. Finaly, someone shares my opinion!!!!!
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 05:55:11 am »

Also, Rule of Cool.

This isn't quite as true since the drop-rate was tweaked, but digging a three or four z-level hole isn't likely to be much more dwarfpower or resource-efficient than building a wall out of stone you'd have to either use or dispose of somehow anyway.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 07:32:35 am »

True, but walls look awesome.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 08:14:28 am »

I use clay. I might use earthware if I hit magma, but that's a spearate thingy. (A bit easier, thanks to minecarts, although I usually end up exposing my forts to flying FBs that way.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 03:58:11 pm »

Labor. Too many god damned potash makers. Also
True, but walls look awesome.
Yes. I'm trying to make the above ground portion of my fort into a castle. A small one, but just to be imposing really.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 05:18:22 pm »

The only better thing to do is cast your castle. I'll be doing that on my desert embark. Yes, it will take a hideously long time. No, I don't really mind.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2012, 06:03:17 pm »

True dorfs don't build above ground buildings. Instead of building walls just do the dwarven thing and cave-in 3 levels of the entire map except for the enterence. That should give you a 3 levels high tower of natural stone without having to meddle with the filthy human art of above ground building.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2012, 06:34:23 pm »

Not quite correct. True dorfs build buildings out of Elf Soap. True dorfs are ecologically responsible, using only the finest of recycled all natural materials.

Then pump magma through it to burn the surrounding countryside to ashes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3